Menu

What have you learned while homeschooling?

I've learned so much it's . . . sad.

1) I've learned why to wrap cookies you're sending through the post office so well. . . from our Science Museum demonstrating an egg drop from several floors up.

2) I've learned tons of grammar.

3) I've learned tons of history.

4) I -- FINALLY -- learned where the Uncle Sam guy came from in the old posters, "Uncle Same Wants You!" From US for United States. Well, I didn't know!

5) It goes on and on.

Alley

Just recently, I have learned....

that it is possible to actually calculate how long it will take for my cup of coffee to cool to the "perfect" drinking temperature thanks to Newton's Cooling Law and logarithms.

The Quagga was a real animal, now extinct

Saturn has storms.  Including a cool hexagon shaped one.

I've learned so much it's . . . sad.

:iagree:

I only mention an occasional thing I learned to my husband, if I mentioned them all he would worry, I think! And, I went to a good elementary school, average middle school, good high school, a good college, and got a M.S. from a land grant school with a good reputation, so my M.S. was both practical and educational, most land grant schools are big on practical.

I don't think I could even begin to list the things I've learned while home educating my boys.  I was a STEM major so, for me, delving into literature and writing was an eye opening experience.  Although I read a lot growing up, even some that are considered classics, I never really studied them.  Practical skills:  patience, mercy, compassion, grace, discipline, being a good drill sergeant, creative consequences...oh, the list goes on and on.  Truly it has shaped me as a person, not just academically.

Pluto is not a planet.

W is sometimes a vowel. (When acting with another vowel, as in ow or ew. It replaces u and is the sound making the u sound in ew. Hence, double-u.)

I am cool with w being a vowel but want Pluto back.

LOL!  My very educated mother now serves noodles at my house, instead of nine pizzas.  

My kids are big fans of the TapQuizMaps app or whatever it's called, so they're learning European geography.  I keep having to stop myself to say "Czech Republic" and "Slovakia."  They're fascinated when I tell them that when I was their age, it was all completely different.

I had a BLAST last year when we did Ancients.  My degree is in medieval history, and I'm pretty decent in US history and had a basic exposure to early modern and modern world history -- but nothing in ancient history at all.  So that was pretty cool.

I also love learning the Singapore way of doing math. :)

Grammar.  When I was looking for a grammar program and asked my husband to help, I said, "Should I get the one that he does on his own or the one I have to teach him."  He then asked me what a verb was.  I had NO IDEA!  So, we bought the grammar that I had to teach and I have since realized diagramming sentences is fun.

Beth

Pluto is not a planet.

W is sometimes a vowel. (When acting with another vowel, as in ow or ew. It replaces u and is the sound making the u sound in ew. Hence, double-u.)

I am cool with w being a vowel but want Pluto back.

It actually still is a planet.  The group that decided it wasn't a planet didn't have a quorum.  So, the vote wasn't valid.

They split the difference and call it a "Dwarf Planet" now.