Menu

We live in/near the #1 top travel destination in the US

Ottakee

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/travel/lonely-plane-top-united-states-destinations-2014/

Those of us that live in West Michigan are quite surprised. We dont' quite see our area as a top 10 (and #1 in that list even) vacation spot. We are blessed though to have super nice clean beaches, boardwalks and lighthouses (we go to the one on that main picture almost weekly or more in good weather), top medical care, great festivals, museums, Art Prize, etc.

It just still seems weird.

If anyone decides to come visit this area, just let me or the others in the area know and we can steer you to the best of the best that the local visit

Remember - Lonely Planet purposely looks for hidden gems, not usually current tourist meccas.  I was surprised to see Las Vegas, Yosemite, and Boston on their list for that reason alone.

FWIW, we've been to 5 of the 10 - and pretty darn close to the other 5  (We've been to Eastern MI and the UP, but missed Western).  I'm not a Vegas person, so would pull it, but I can understand the attraction of the others from their Lonely Planet perspective.

West Michigan looks amazing. Just mapped the drive and it's 14 hours from Boston (boo), but looks like Niagara Falls is just about at the halfway point. Maybe a great stopping point for a nice driving vacation. Leave on Thurs, spend Fri at the falls, drive to MI on Sat and spend the week at a cottage on the lake. Complete in reverse for the ride back home.

DH is talking Disney this summer, but I like the sounds of this other plan better. Hmmmm.

It's weird to think of the NJ shore as #5. In my mind, that's prom territory and vacation-lite for New Jerseans who take "real" vacations and then do their shore stay, or New Jerseans who just can't afford "real" vacations. Like, the equivilant of camping in your back yard.

Having lived in or near a few vacation destinations, this is pretty much true no matter where you're from.  A "real" vacation pretty much means "travel."  Sometimes when I hear vacationers talking about "how lucky we are to live in this area," (any of the areas) I do actually stop to appreciate the beauty and such things a bit more.  When one lives there, it's easy to get desensitized.

West Michigan is beautiful. My dh's grandfather built a summer cottage along the shore of Lake Michigan in 1948. Three generations later, we are all still enjoying the place. When I started going up there in 1980, it was still pretty remote. Now days, not so much. It is still a beautiful place to vacation every year, though.

DH is talking Disney this summer, but I like the sounds of this other plan better. Hmmmm.

If you want tons of not stop fun and activity, then Disney would be your best bet. If though you want relaxing walks along the beach, dinner at the boardwalk, watching the musical fountain, meandering through botanical gardens or urban art area, hiking the sand dunes, etc. then West Michigan is more your speed----and Muskegon does have Michigan's Adventure which is an amusement park and water park in one for a day of fun.

I grew up outside of Grand Rapids, and I agree that west Michigan is beautiful, though I didn't appreciate it that much when I was growing up. My parents still live there and we enjoy our visits. My brother and his fiancee live in the Leelanau Peninsula near Traverse City and that's absolutely beautiful. We really enjoy our visits there, and our kids especially enjoy Sleeping Bear Dunes. I highly recommend vacationing on the west coast of Michigan.

I'd actually really love to live there again, but, aside from the distance from grandparents (DH's parents live in Wisconsin), we love it here, and DH loves his job, so it may never happen.