Menu

Nutcracker Ballet question

Mama Geek

We took dd to see the ballet Babes in Toyland yesterday and she loved it.  She loved the music, the dancing and the costumes.  She easily sat through it and it was a very kid friendly ballet.

The Nutcracker is coming up and dh suggested maybe we could do that for my birthday.  Is it something that my dd who really enjoyed Babes in Toyland would enjoy?  She is 3 1/2 years old.

I'm always down for introducing young kids to ballet/opera/symphonies from a young age.  Sometimes money can be a factor though if you don't know of your kid will make it the whole way through.  I was torn because the performance here is $30-65 a ticket which isn't as easy to fork out when you have 3 kids who may or may not like it.  Sometimes though the folks in our community let me bring my girls into dress rehearsals and sit for that.  That way if they get antsy we can head out and not disturb anybody.  

Maybe you can see if that's an option.

I'm not familiar with Babes in Toyland.  However, many 3 year olds enjoy Nutcracker; it's often their first ballet experience and what inspires them to take class.  
The first Act of Nutcracker tells the story; the second Act is a series of themed dances, which can drag on a bit if the child is more story-oriented.

Not every company will stage a Nutcracker the same way, so while a full blown NYC Ballet production could be a bit long, maybe the local or regional ballet's version would be a shorter, kid-friendly "showcase.". We went to one like that years ago. Either way, yeah, go for it. Early is a very good thing indeed.

how long was babes in toyland?

my aspie, who doesn't sit through much of anything, really likes nutcracker and we've taken him several times.  he still struggles to sit the entire time.  part of it is he can get so into it he becomes overstimulated.)

what version would you be seeing? i.e.  ABT's has very plain sets.  PNB's are very colorful and elaborate Maurice sendak.

I would find a book and read through the story line before the presentation. I think we used an Usborne book. Can't remember, but it really helped for my dd the first time she saw it at three. She's 8 now and we've seen it every year and she has performed in it the last two years. Enjoy :)

My girls have been every year since age 4, and even my son attended several performances when he was barely 4 (his sister was in it that year). They have always loved it, and my husband, who saw it the first time when our oldest was in it, was ticked that he had missed out all those years.

The school performances around here are both wonderful (full of explanations and commentary, and abbreviated) and awful (full of noisy school groups), so that may or may not be the most enjoyable choice.

One of the local companies around here does a kids' performance, which includes a slightly shortened version and a reception with the characters. You might see if something like that is available. I agree with the suggestion to read the story beforehand.

If cost isn't too much of a factor, I would do it. What's the worst that can happen -- you have to leave before it's over?

Of course, I remember when my mom took my sister and me for my sister's first Nutcracker. She was about 4. Ten minutes in, she leans over to my mom and hollers, "Nobody's TALKING!" :rofl:

It isn't super expensive and it is a little local company that will be doing it and it is in the middle of the day.  They will also be having a school performance based on what I just found, so my guess is that it may very well be kid friendly.

Then yes.  :)

I may sound cranky, but Nut can sometimes seriously drag for littles. The above production sounds perfect.

My niece went to see the nutcracker at that age. My boys dance in it so she wanted to see her cousins. I had to keep a running commentary with her about it, explaining the plot. That was a bit trying. It can be long for a three year old. Heck, it is long for me.

There are also a couple parts that can be freaky to a three year old. I find the whole thing to be pretty trippy. The Harlequin and Columbine can be weird. They are dancers pretending to be wind up dolls, so they are made up to look mechanical and they dance a little mechanically. My niece didn't like that much. The scene where the toys come to life and dance around leading up to the battle between the tin soldiers and the mice might frighten. The mouse king is meant to be scary. That is all the first act. After that it is Clara and the Prince being entertained by all the citizens of candyland or whatever it is. In some I have seen Marzipan (the shepherdess) is stalked by a 'wolf'. But mostly, the second act is rosebuds and snowflakes and angels, tea, coffee, chocolate etc. It is just different dances one after the other

Thanks for all the info on it, I will take dd to the library to see if they have a Nutcracker story book this week.  We decided we will go.  The length shouldn't be too long for her as she can sit through a movie, I just wanted to make sure it would likely hold her attention.