Menu

S/O home made Christmas gifts

athomeontheprairie

We don't receive many homemade gifts.

We like ornaments (but not huge or heavy ones--we have too many that are big or heavy and hard to place on the tree).

I love knitted or crocheted dishcloths. 

Things like soap would be appreciated.

We did receive some homemade baby blankets, but they were shower gifts.

I made some flip-top mittens for a friend at her request--she asked for another pair in another color this year, lol. I would enjoy hand-knit gifts if they were in colors that easily go with other things. I am not a fashionista, and giving me something that doesn't go with something I already have would be frustrating--I have a really hard time finding clothes and coats I like without having to match a special gift. And I hate shopping.

Scarves (knitted)

Hair rinse with a little pitcher to warm it in

Cookies that are special to that person, in a special container

Handwoven gift wrapping ribbon with the inscription 'toward a sustainable Christmas'

Gifts purchased from 10 Thousand Villages

Handwoven shawl

Handwoven dishtowel (very special, organic colorgrown cotton)

Handwoven baby blanket

Homemade shortbread, from a pretty mold, on foil-covered cardboard, wrapped in plastic, with a ribbon around it

I am probably going to be in the minority here, but I don't care for many homemade gifts. I hate to admit that. :leaving:

We have food allergies, so food items are out.

DS and I both have skin allergies so homemade soaps and lotions are out.

DS has asthma so we don't burn candles.

Everyone in my family makes homemade kitchen items - scrubbies, dishclothes and those hand towels cut in half. I always pass on to second hand store. I don't have anywhere to hang a hand towel in the kitchen. I like a certain type of dishcloth.

I would like a homemade scarf, though. Or something that is... thoughtful?

In my family, at least, people make a dozen of the same gifts and gives everyone the same thing, with no consideration to the receipient. Maybe that has soured me on homemade gifts?

Edited to add: I do have (and cherish) a number of Christmas ornaments that my late aunt made. Every year, she taught herself a new craft and made ornaments for everyone, specific to that person's hobbies or interests.

Things we've made that have been well-received:

-fleece blankets for all of the nephews/niece (years ago before you could buy them cheap)

-"rice" heating pads that you heat in the microwave, except I fill them with millet--smaller, round filling. Each of us has one and we all love to use them on cold winter nights when we go to bed.

-Dh does nice photo calendars for his parents and for me

-Dh and I have collaborated on projects for the girls.

Others we liked:

My SIL knit nice hats for the girls.

My aunt made quite the American Girl doll wardrobe for each girl a few years ago.

Same aunt made "mother-daughter" matching aprons for me and the girls several years ago.

DH's aunt crocheted an afghan for us when we got married.  It is brown and off-white.  At first I thought it was ugly.  But it touched my heart that she made it for us, and it has always been one of my favorite things.  I still have it and use it daily all winter long, for 25 years now.  No one else is allowed to use it because I don't want anything to happen to it.

My daughter has made me several things in her ceramics class that I cherish.  One of them is a vase-like vessel.  She made another one and it sold for $125 at her high school's art show.  My favorite is a green bowl.  I also like a mug she made me -- I keep it on my desk because it is pretty fancy:  3D flowers cascade over a 3D lattice.  The artistic gene totally skipped me, and I don't know how to describe this stuff well.

My daughter also drew me a picture that she gave me for my birthday.  It is beautiful, and it turns out it is an actor/character from a tv show called The Walking Dead (IIRC).  It isn't a zombie, though -- some girl with a spear -- so maybe I'm wrong about that.  She's into photo realistic art these days, and this is her first attempt. 

I love getting handmade gifts!

I haven't received many homemade gifts, though I love them!

The ones I have used/enjoyed:

- flannel receiving blanket when ds was a baby (bigger than the kind you would find at the store).

- embroidered linen towels

- cookies/brownies/7 layer bars :001_tt1:

- a necklace (I asked my cousin to create one like one I saw in a catalog)

Handmade things I've bought for myself or my kids:

- wool socks

- headbands/hairclips

- knit/crocheted hats

- toddler girl dresses

- coin purses

- bracelets

- cloth/felt play food

- photo necklaces

- wooden puzzles

- button pushpins

We don't ever make a batch of gifts to give the same thing to everyone (that sentence sounds off, you know what I mean).  That always feels awkward to me.

For BIL who travels a lot, for fun: coasters with maps of places he's been sealed on the top.  This went over well because he's been to some really interesting, unusual places.

For FIL who is diabetic but misses pumpkin pie desperately: a package filled with sugar free "jar pies" - they are tiny mason jars filled with actual pie.  These were frozen, and he could take one out, heat and eat.  Google "jar pies" for ideas.

We've made bath bombs for young cousins - those are great in those shaped silicone ice cube trays.  

Felted soap for grandmothers - that one sort of flopped, no one knew what it was.  Ditto for bath salts - I never felt like it was appreciated like the above.

We really enjoyed the homemade baklava that my nephew's fiancee gave us last year.

We could have passed on the jarred elk meat that my sister-in-law gave us.  (It was in a glass jar and disconcertingly pink.)

For many years, my daughter gave decorated candles to family members.  She started at about age three. At that age, I cut out shapes for her to affix to the candles. She continued candle decorating over the years and during her college years made wonderful designs of her own creation. Here is a link to the candle decorating wax that we use:

Stockmar Decorating Wax

Regards,
Kareni

My parents gave us wonderful handmade gifts: stuffed animals, doll clothes, sweaters, scarves, handmade dresses from my mother and a fantastic wooden doll mansion and a Noah's Ark from my dad.

Most of my handmade gifts for my now-adult kids flopped, so I'm nervous about giving handmade this year but I kind of need to. I'm making my dad an iPad cozy, my 21 year old a smartphone stand and/or cozy, and either a rice sock or a dream pillow for my mom.

Mom has enjoyed itty bitty jars of homemade jam and the macaroni necklace little ds made her last year.

Dad liked the linux laptop and other retro electronics ds1 and I hacked and modernized for him, but once he figured out that he liked the internet more than he feared it, he treated himself to an iPad that is better suited to his needs than anything we can afford, so we're done "corrupting" him this year.

Mostly food related:

Homemade (ish) vanilla extract and flavored vodka

Jams and preserves

Pickles (cucumbers, okra, candied jalapeños)

Flavored nuts (cinnamon almonds, chile lime cashews, blue cheese pecans, spicy sweet pecans, Ina Garten's mixed nuts)

Banana bread

Shortbread

Toffee (last year was chocolate covered coffee toffee and bacon toffee)

Whatever cookies or treats sound good

(I wasn't sure if anyone appreciated the handmade goodies until I stopped making them. DH's office has grown x3 and it's been a crazy few years. The bookkeeper has already started asking about this year, and BIL said he's not leaving here without banana bread. LOL.)

Appliquéd t-shirts

Monogrammed bags, towels, pillows

Handmade gifts we've enjoyed:

Jewelry

Knitted animals

Bean bags

A bag knitted from plastic bags

A butcher block rolling pin

Ones that weren't our favorite:

Candles

Premade scrapbook pages

Little calendars

Crocheted baby clothes

Drink mix that I couldn't identify

Ones we've given:

Ornaments

Stockings

Scrapbooks

Card sets

Bags

Name plaques

Bean bags

Food items we've made in the past..

- A whole homemade apple pie, wrapped in a dish towel (wax paper first) and tied with a nice ribbon and a sparkly ornament or ribbon (whatever the $1 has that looks nice) which we deliver warm to the recipient on the afternoon that we make it.  We gave these to the dog breeders who have been helping Dd with her showing.  They still talk about her pie.  (Dd and I bake together.)

- cranberry bread- one of our friends will immediately eat almost the entire loaf as soon as we deliver it!

- ​tin of cookies - people seem to get tired of these very quickly, which is why we switched to pie and quick bread.

- small jars of assorted homemade jam --  I haven't done these in years, but people loved them and I love getting strawberry jam from my aunt.  Actually, we all love it and will fight about who had the most, who gets the last little bit, etc.

- Pretzel Peanut Bark in a crystal or glass dish I bought at the thrift shop and then wrapped with cellophane and put a beautiful bow on.  I don't usually care for Paula Deen recipes, but this one is good and seemed to be a big hit the year I gave it.  It's also very easy to make--so much less time consuming than cookies.  I add craisins to make it look festive.

- Homemade kettle corn This seemed to be appreciated and was also easy and a welcome change from cookies.  We did this for my mil who loves kettle corn at the county fair.  We found some great containers at the $1 store.

This year Dd and I are contemplating sewing some gifts, but I'm starting to think the baked items are better b/c they don't hang around all year.  

While I think people get tired of the cookies, I like receiving a tin of homemade cookies b/c they are different from the ones I make and no one ever bakes for me.  A couple of years ago a neighbor gave us some and I ate those cookies over mine every chance I got.  Dc thought I was strange!

That certainly sounds intriguing. Can you share the recipe?

Regards,

Kareni

I used this as a base recipe without the almonds: http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/10/best-ever-almond-toffee/

I added just-undercooked bacon pieces (use good bacon!) after the temp suggested for the second almond addition. I'd already made about 6 batches of the regular recipe, so I guessed when to throw the bacon in the mix. I didn't want it to over cook by adding too early or lower the temp by adding it too late. Sorry that's not more precise!