Menu

Vitamix or Blendtec?

LifeLovePassion

I considered both and bought the Blendtec. I liked the blunt blade-thingies because I can reach right into the bottom of the Blendtec jar without getting cut. I also like the shape of the Blendtec jars better, because they seem easier to clean.

Performance-wise, I assume that both machines are excellent.

If you choose the Blendtec, they have a great deal on them at Sam's Club right now. :)

I considered both and bought the Blendtec. I liked the blunt blade-thingies because I can reach right into the bottom of the Blendtec jar without getting cut. I also like the shape of the Blendtec jars better, because they seem easier to clean.

Performance-wise, I assume that both machines are excellent.

If you choose the Blendtec, they have a great deal on them at Sam's Club right now. :)

What is the Sam's deal?/when does it expire? SIL has a membership.

At Costco.com (thru today) I can get a blender with the wildside and twister jars for $359.

What is the Sam's deal?/when does it expire? SIL has a membership.

At Costco.com (thru today) I can get a blender with the wildside and twister jars for $359.

At Sam's, I'm pretty sure you get the wildside jar and the mini-twister jar (which is big enough for me,) in the box, and then you get a coupon or a code for a free four-side jar. I'll see if I can find the price online and post it here. I think it may have been $379.00, but I'm not sure.

Edited to add: It's $399, so Costco is cheaper, although the free jar is worth around $80, so it would be worth checking samsclub.com and comparing that deal with the one at Costco.

I'm sorry I haven't posted a link, but I'm on my iPad. The Sam's item number is 148168.

At Sam's, I'm pretty sure you get the wildside jar and the mini-twister jar (which is big enough for me,) in the box, and then you get a coupon or a code for a free four-side jar. I'll see if I can find the price online and post it here. I think it may have been $379.00, but I'm not sure.

Edited to add: It's $399, so Costco is cheaper, although the free jar is worth around $80, so it would be worth checking samsclub.com and comparing that deal with the one at Costco.

I'm sorry I haven't posted a link, but I'm on my iPad. The Sam's item number is 148168.

Thanks! Do you use the twister jar a lot? They also sell just the wild side jar for $329

Thanks! Do you use the twister jar a lot? They also sell just the wild side jar for $329

I go through phases with it. ;)

It's great for things like nut butters. But the mini-twister is large enough -- the bigger one seems like overkill to me, because I don't think I'd ever need to make that large a portion of anything sticky!

If you look on their website, they may still have a list of recipes that require the twister jar. It might help you decide whether or not you'll get enough use out of it.

Honestly either will make you happy. I have a Vitamix and love it. I am sure I would love a blend tech as much. I do like my tamper though, don't use it much since I know make runnier smoothies but it helped me feel like I could speed things up. And for making frozen ice cream from frozen berries and fruit it was handy then too but feel most people will love either one.

here is a great website that helped me decide (vitamix) http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-reviews/blendtec-vs-vitamix/

I just  (three weeks ago) got the vitamix 6300 at Costco  - I like the pre-programed settings, but I also like having manual buttons (vs the electric buttons on the blendtec-- we have very bad luck with electric buttons)

Blendtec's bash against Vita seems to be that Vita has a tamper, which must mean it isn't efficient at pulling stuff into the blades.  Prob marketing hype.  If the motor on my Waring blows (bulletproof so far), I'll probably go Blendtec.

I'm looking at a Waring now, what do you think? I have a terrible Oster now, hate it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-Commercial-BB190-Polycarbonate-Container/dp/B001036YUQ/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1385007805&sr=1-13&keywords=blender

I have the vitamix, and for some things I think the tamper is a good reason to go with the vitamix over the blendtec.

I do have a friend who could afford to buy both at the same time and compare them. After making such things as sunbutter, smoothies, applesauce, soups, icecreams, etc she took back the Blendtec and kept the vitamix. She said that for many things they worked equally well, but for others there was no comparison. The vitamix won hands down.

Got a Waring Pro bar blender factory refurb off eBay. One switch, 2 speeds. Glass jar. Tall and skinny.

I've replaced the washers in the jar, which can still leak a bit under really heavy loads, like frozen strawberries. The motor is a tank, and is round and compact for my teeny kitchen. I would buy again for the price (under $100). Seems similar to (sorry, phone link). http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00197DWZI/ref=aw_d_pd_kitchen?qid=1385011360&sr=8-5

Guest sudberrypal

What made you choose the one you did? They seem to be pretty comparable.

Help me to sell it to DH, what all do you make? (Why is that easier than the "old fashioned" way?) I am hoping to get one at some point. Just not sure what I want/need.

I understand your challenge. They are very compatable and both great.  Each one has their own stick as to why it's better than the other.

I found this comparison to be the most helpful:

http://gotgreensrevolution.com/Vitamix-versus-blendtec-review.html

Ultimately, I chose a Vitamix. Bought a reconditioned 7500 because it is quieter and it has the new container. I like old-fashione buttons and don't care so much for computer controled porgrams that the blendtec sells. I personally love the tamper. I make frozen fruit "ice-cream" with nothing but the fruit so I can make it super thick by pushing it into the blades. It was made pretty clear that you can't do that with blendtec unless you but the twister jar. I also make lots of smoothies, nut milks and nut butters. Been starting to use it for soups but that's a new thing.

Compared to my old oster - this thing is in a whole different category. I love it.

I understand your challenge. They are very compatable and both great. Each one has their own stick as to why it's better than the other.

I found this comparison to be the most helpful:

http://gotgreensrevolution.com/Vitamix-versus-blendtec-review.html

Ultimately, I chose a Vitamix. Bought a reconditioned 7500 because it is quieter and it has the new container. I like old-fashione buttons and don't care so much for computer controled porgrams that the blendtec sells. I personally love the tamper. I make frozen fruit "ice-cream" with nothing but the fruit so I can make it super thick by pushing it into the blades. It was made pretty clear that you can't do that with blendtec unless you but the twister jar. I also make lots of smoothies, nut milks and nut butters. Been starting to use it for soups but that's a new thing.

Compared to my old oster - this thing is in a whole different category. I love it.

Welcome to the forum, sudberrypal!

Are you a homeschooler?

I read somewhere that the Blendtec makes things more frothy and the Vitamix makes things more creamy, has anyone found this to be true (or false!?)

Personally, I think both machines give such similar results that both companies are constantly trying to find ways to differentiate themselves and make it seem like their product is better.

I may be wrong, but I think many of the rave reviews (that also happen to bash the competition) are written by shills from both companies.

We just bought a blendtec. we read many reviews that essentially said "both are get, you can't go wrong". we found a really good deal on Ebay with blendtec. Though, I've managed to jam the blades more than once in a month. I wouldn't Gabe, had the machinehad a tamper. I do love the programmed buttons, which makes it super convenient for me and my kids. I don't think you can go wrong with either really...

Guest sudberrypal

Welcome to the forum, sudberrypal!

Are you a homeschooler?

Thank you Catwoman!

Yep - a homeschooler. We also supliment with some time at a local democratic education/free school.

Guest sudberrypal

I read somewhere that the Blendtec makes things more frothy and the Vitamix makes things more creamy, has anyone found this to be true (or false!?)

I believe this would be entirely dependent upon ingredients - not the blender itself.

I would imagine frothy or creamy depends upon ingredients. I have a vitamix and don't use 'creamy' ingredients (avocado, banana, milk, yogurt etc) so my smoothies aren't creamy.

FWIW, I asked an experienced user how she got her smoothies so creamy and she told me it was avocado. If she left it out then the smoothie wasn't creamy.

I love my tamper,lol.  It is fun smooshing stuff into the blades, and I like knowing that it can't touch the blades. I feel like it saves me time.

Question (as I've never use either), I saw on one of the linked websites that one could blend thigks like carrots into "juice" and get 4 times as much, in terms of "quantity."

I'm wondering what this juice tastes like? If you find fresh (extracted) carrot juice delicious (and I know not everyone does) does the "blended" juice taste equally delicious? Is it grainy/pithy? Does it have a weird texture? Is Iit indistinguishable from expressed juice? Or "other"?

Bill

Question (as I've never use either), I saw on one of the linked websites that one could blend thigks like carrots into "juice" and get 4 times as much, in terms of "quantity."

I'm wondering what this juice tastes like? If you find fresh (extracted) carrot juice delicious (and I know not everyone does) does the "blended" juice taste equally delicious? Is it grainy/pithy? Does it have a weird texture? Is Iit indistinguishable from expressed juice? Or "other"?

Bill

It does have a texture-- sort of like the difference between orange juice with or without  the pulp.

I find that some of my old recipes from a juicer don't do well if left in the refrigerator overnight--

But I stopped juicing because of the cleanup and the waste so the trade off is acceptable to me.

It does have a texture-- sort of like the difference between orange juice with or without the pulp.

I find that some of my old recipes from a juicer don't do well if left in the refrigerator overnight--

But I stopped juicing because of the cleanup and the waste so the trade off is acceptable to me.

I know the answer will be highly subjective, but do you enjoy the taste of the pulpy carrot juice, or do you feel like you are settling for someting inferior?

Bill (who is thinking of taking some carrots to his sister-in-law's at Thankgiving for a test)

I know the answer will be highly subjective, but do you enjoy the taste of the pulpy carrot juice, or do you feel like you are settling for someting inferior?

Bill (who is thinking of taking some carrots to his sister-in-law's at Thankgiving for a test)

Probably settling, but, like I said, the trade off is acceptable because I hated the amount of waste. 

Bill, anyone else, I would love to know the comparison between juice from a juicer, and juice from a blender.

I do not like carrots from a juicer.... it is too strong. Bleh! And to juice for four people, it would take a ton of vegetables. So if a vitamix/blentec/other highpowered blender's ground up carrots taste more like carrots (as opposed to concentrated carrots) it might be something for me.

Vitamix people.... I looked at a Vitamix at Bed Bath & Beyond. The blender jars on all three were kind of loose, what is with that? Are there favorite models?There are several.

I have a vitamix and a juicer. It is a masticating juicer, not one of those superduper juicers, but it is a nice one.  I also prefer the blender over the juicer for the same reason, I just can't stand the waste. It isn't juice when you use the blender but it shouldn't be something you chew, lol. The more water and/or ice you add the more juice like it is. I add the bare minimum because that's how I like it.

If you like carrot juice from the juicer then I think (?) you can make it in a way you will like in the blender. It tastes the same to me, and I don't mind a smoothie texture vs juice. Now, my sister doesn't like carrot juice at all. She isn't going to like it from the vitamix either.

But, I have never put just carrots in the vitamix.

Vitamix people, do you find you need the dry container?

How often would you want to grind dry items? I don't but I only grind grains about 1-2x a year. We make garlic powder and other dried items about the same frequency.  So it's not worth it to me to buy a gry container -- but, we're also possibly moving gluten free and may be needing to reconsider the grinding of things if we had that path.

At Costco, there is a $40 off instant rebate bringing the Blendtec down to $359 until 12/2.

I bought it and have been very happy with it.  I will add that after a few uses the motor stopped, but I called Blendtec and they sent me a brand new one without any hassle or problem.  They told me it should not have happened, did not try to trouble shoot it, but just send a brand new machine.  These have an 8 year warranty, which is great.