Menu

What gift to get? Someone go shopping for me lol.

ChristusG

Someone find DH a good gift! I hate shopping for him LOL. I'm at a total loss every single year. He loves having a well thought out, special gift to open on Christmas morning but it's SO difficult!

1. He loves NFL football and has season tickets each year to our local team.

2. He loves to eat, but doesn't need food gifts because it is too tempting.

3. He works in an office but doesn't really care about office gadgets.

4. Doesn't have any hobbies he enjoys.

5. Already pays for his household chores to be done (yard service and pool service)

6. Isn't into special events like concerts, etc.

7. He has an iPhone, iPad, a nice TV, etc.

8. No favorite themes like Star Wars, Dr Who, or anything like that.

9. He likes TV seasons and movies but we have Netflix and Amazon Prime so we can usually find what we want on those.

Ugh!!! I usually end up buying him shirts..... But that's boring! Any really great ideas??

I got DH an electronic car starter for Christmas last year.  It goes on his key chain and he just pushes a button and his car starts and is pre-heated when he gets in it. The only other thing I've gotten him that was a Real Big Hit in 27 years was the milkshake machine (Hamilton Beach drink mixer.)

I bought him a new winter overcoat one year, too.

Otherwise, he gets a box of chocolates, LL Bean slippers, books, a World Series t-shirt when the Red Sox win, tickets to Red Sox games, gift cards to B&N, Red Lobster, and Applebees, and a new hat and gloves when he needs them.

This year, I'll probably get him a gift certificate to Johnston & Murphy because he needs a new pair of dress shoes, and that's the only brand he will wear.  DH will only wear specific brands and styles of clothes/shoes.

9. He likes TV seasons and movies but we have Netflix and Amazon Prime so we can usually find what we want on those.

Is there something he would watch again and again? It might be worth a dvd gift.

Does he like music? Does he have a cd player in the car? If so, you can get something retro he might have enjoyed years ago. One year I got my DH a Billy Joel CD.

How about a magazine subscription? You could buy the current one for Christmas with a note about the yearly subscription.

My DH is difficult to buy for too. This year he has specifically requested a dvd set, so I don't have to strain my brain thinking of something good.

Bacon of the month club?  I know... You said no food, but it's bacon.  Bacon doesn't count, right?

Watching this thread with interest... Looking for ideas for DH here, too.  I am thinking of doing a skydiving experience this year.  But open to more ideas.  

Oh, is he into family time?  Last year I gave DH a picnic backpack with what we called "The Black Envelope Project."  I labelled 12 black envelopes by month, and put one family activity per month in each envelope.  But we do a lot of family outings, so I knew he'd like this.  

Portrait of a beloved pet?  Family portrait for his office?  Framed caricatures of the kids?

Outerwear?  I gave my impossible-to-buy-for dad a fleece vest last year that went over well.  He is famous for his insensitivity to cold, so he doesn't like heavy coats.  But he hunts, and this was made for duck hunters (he doesn't hunt ducks), so it was sufficiently manly and rugged and had a couple of cool features.  I figured a vest would be just right for him on those days when everyone else was bundled into parkas.

And I will second Bacon of the Month Club.  It was one of my husband's favorite gifts ever.  I had the first installment come right before Christmas so I could wrap it and pull it out of the freezer so he would have something to unwrap.  

Does he have a long commute?   My husband has worn out a set of Teaching Company DVDs on the Civil War.  Books on CD or pre-loaded onto an iPod would work just as well.

A Mr. Beer basic brewing kit.  They go on sale all over the place this time of year. I got hubby one a decade ago - he now is in a local homebrew club, has expanded into larger batches, and has several types of beer/ale/mead in the basement (all legal).  Dudes like brewing beer!

http://www.mrbeer.com/

If this hobby "takes' - you can get more kits, bottles, kegs, etc. for many b'days and Christmas times to come! :-)

Does the NFL team do any special events during the year that you can buy tickets to?

Gear for sitting in the stadium? Does he tailgate?.....supplies for that?

Accessories for the car? I spend a couple hours a day in my car so while these ideas may sound like 'unfeminine or nontraditional gifts' they are all luxuries that I love having and really miss from my old car. LOL  I bought a new car in February and have spent the year upgrading it a bit.   I had extra tint added to my front side windows to match the back tint on my new car for my Birthday. A hitch for my car was my Mother's Day gift.  I have also asked dh to upgrade my car stereo for Christmas.   I usually buy some of my own Christmas gifts so I am getting myself another mesh divider for the back of my Outback.   I got a door ding the first week I had the car so I may have it taken out as well.  :-)

This is embarrassing y'all! All these great ideas and I don't think DH would like any of them! Ugh!

We're in FL, so winter wear is pretty much unnecessary.

DH is not handy at all.....I don't think he's used duct tape in his entire life. He has no use for tools, etc.

He usually does not rewatch DVD's or TV seasons.

He buys himself a new jersey to wear to the games at the start of each season if he needs one. So he just got one a few months ago. And he has the t-shirts and jacket with the team logo.

He gets magazines in the mail.....and then just throws them away because he doesn't read them.

We don't drink, so no beer, etc.

He doesn't like bacon LOL.

We have a dog, but he doesn't care for the dog so I don't think he'd like a framed photo of him LOL.

As for music, he listens to it very minimally. He'd rather listen to sports talk radio in the car.

An experience sounds fun, but I'm sure he wouldn't want to do it alone. And I keep my feet on the ground, so a hot air balloon ride or helicopter ride is out.

A few years ago I tried the whole thing where I wrap different envelopes with things to do each month. That was a flop because we'd either be too busy or something would get in the way.

Now, he DOES have a decently long commute. Usually about 45 minutes each way. I can try to figure out how to work something with that maybe. I wonder if he'd like an audio book or something like that? Or something to make his commute more comfortable? Not sure....I'll have to look around.

This thread makes my husband sound so boring LOL.....but really, he doesn't have a lot of interests. See how much trouble I have with gifts??? LOL. Now me.....I can make a Christmas list a mile long LOL!

Fancy schmamcy sunglasses? The expensive ones really are nicer.

Teeth whitening?

Teaching Co courses are many hours long, so a good choice for commuting, though some are so boring that they would put anyone to sleep. Does he have a smart phone? If not, an iPod would let you download about a thousand podcasts to listen to in the car.

If he commutes… how about a car seat heating pad, an audio book with football as a theme, and a nice car coffee mug and/or a gift card to Starbucks. I just bought A Christmas Story audio book with an iTunes gift card and it's really funny.

Here's the "his" list at Paper Source (a fun place to find silly gifts)

http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/gifts/gifts-for-him/default.html

......(edited for space)

Now, he DOES have a decently long commute. Usually about 45 minutes each way. I can try to figure out how to work something with that maybe. I wonder if he'd like an audio book or something like that? Or something to make his commute more comfortable? Not sure....I'll have to look around.

I can tell you what I have upgraded to see if it sparks anything in your mind....

I got the car model with the upgrade stereo and now I love having Bluetooth connection to my car stereo. I use Pandora One or other free internet radio apps to stream music.  With Bluetooth you could use Audible.com or down load audio books from the library to his phone.  If his car doesn't already have Bluetooth you can upgrade a stereo to get one with it.  I also use my car stereo with Bluetooth to make phone calls and it is really nice to not have an ear piece.   If he prefers talk radio there are many stations and pod casts out there to keep him set for life!  

My car also has satellite radio and I didn't bother renewing the contract because using the Bluetooth and my phone gets me many, many more options for much cheaper. 

I live in the PNW so rain and mud are issues here, one thing I upgraded was my floor mats.  I got high quality rubber mats and they are much, much easier to keep clean than the fiber mats. I saw you mentioned Florida so if he spends time in the sand (or you have trees that drop leaves and get tracked inside) , they would be great.  

One of my requirements in a car is roof rails/roof racks/box for when I travel to the mountains.

I added a rubber liner to the back hatch area, to help keep the area easy to clean.

I Love having heated seats in my car, but I doubt you would have much need for that in FL.  lol

Even without the stereo upgrade there are adapters to connect a phone to a stereo.  Another less expensive car iten is a device to hold the cell phone.  Dh uses one that plugs into the cigarette lighter hole and has and arm that extends out to hold the phone.  It works remarkably well. 

My DH has a 45 minute commute each way, and he listens to a ton of audio books. We borrow them from the Free Library of Philadelphia, and you might be able to buy a card for it for a small fee, not sure about that. He did have a CD player in the car, but it died, hence the downloads. He puts them on an MP3 player and uses a transmitter to play them through the radio. An audible.com subscription or a Sirius FM subscription might be nice for his commute too.

How does he watch TV? Would a streaming BluRay player or AppleTV box work?

My hubby might be your hubby's twin.  :)  One thing I'm considering because of his long commute is upgrading his stereo in his car and adding a cord/plug so that he can listen to his iphone through the car stereo.  We tried an FM transmitter and it wasn't clear enough sound for him.  I have one of these "chords" in my car and I love it.