Menu

Lego advent calendar

bettyandbob

Why does it always have a burglar/robber?

In general it is quite an eclectic mix of figures representing winter not necessarily Christmas, but there is always a robber.

We got this calendar a few years back and it seems in have to get it every year because my dc want to see lego's weird interpretation. The best / most memorable was naked Santa the first year we got it.

My dh gave me a theory today about the robber based Germanic tales of Santa Clause. Way too intellectual for me tonight.

What's your theory on the robber.

We've done the Lego Star Wars Advent calendar the last few years, but before that we did the regular Lego calendars, and they were always wacky and random.  I liked the Playmobil Advent calendars better (I prefer Playmobil to Lego), but Indy prefers Lego.  :(

If you need a giggle, check out the reviews for the Playmobil Security Checkpoint.

Love to get one of those but they are $50 in Australia. Do you buy one for each kid?

I buy 1 calendar and 3 kids take turns opening. I have to monitor the oldest the most.

I think when oldest moves away, I will probably be sending him one every year. I do not think it will ever end. I will likely remain an enabler.

For the last two years, I've purchased two calendars...the Lego Friends one for the two older girls, and Lego Star Wars for the boys. Before last year, the now 6 and 8-year-olds weren't really interested, so the oldest two shared a City or Star Wars calendar (I think the last City one I bought was the Santa in the shower one, but the two aren't related, honest!). I imagine I'll keep buying two, even when the toddler is older, and the girls will just have to deal with getting a few less pieces than the boys do. There's no other way to really make it fair without buying five of them, and that's not happening!

Do you buy one for each kid?

Our kids each get their own - whichever one they want that year. Youngest always picks Lego City, middle picks Lego Friends, and oldest switches back and forth between Lego Friends and Star Wars. I buy them from Lego.com with VIP points that we've earned throughout the year. They're always great fun - they look forward to them. This year, we'll be traveling for quite a while in December - I'm trying to decide if I should let them open all the days that we'll be gone before or after we get back, OR if I should bring them in the RV. That's a guarantee for lost pieces.

I did NOT know about these!  

My girls are just getting into Legos and this will be a big Lego-gift year for them (getting trays with baseplates, as well as some Friends sets).  They wanted to do a regular Advent calendar but I vetoed it b/c I always punk out halfway through the month (oh, the shame, I'm such a slacker.)

Anyway, I can TOTALLY do this. :p

ETA:  No I can't.  Wooooo, those things are pricey!   :ohmy: 

I have a decorative Advent calendar that has open/close doors.   Maybe I can create my own Lego calendar by buying a few cheap kits and putting pieces inside each door...