Menu

I need to lock my liquor cabinet!

beaners

How do I do it?

I have a single cupboard door that I need to put a "real" lock on - not just a childproof latch.  I've seen locks for two cupboard doors next to each other, but I don't know how to make this work when there's nothing to attach this handle to.

You guys can answer anything.  Help me out!

We have one of those magnetic tot locks on the cabinet where our meds are kept, up high. There is a small lock mechanism that attaches with tiny screws to the inside of the cabinet, and nothing on the outside...the 'key' is a magnet that you have to hold directly over the lock to disengage it. I love that there is no sign of a lock, it just doesn't open:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HKVVH4

LOL I'm not worried about my children actually getting into it, but I need to show that it is locked.

My genius husband suggested we put an eye on the side and use a cabinet cable lock, so I think that's what we're going to do.

Who do you need to show that it is locked?  Insurance company?  I am puzzled.  I keep liquor in the chest freezer, where my father won't ever find it when he visits.  No one has ever asked me where it is or if I have any.  Unless they were here for a drink.  

It can be done if you're willing to drill a hole. A cheap lock from Home Depot will do, or you can go for something more specialized from Rockler. Not a hard project, and counts as shop credit if the kids do it.

I agree. A little key lock that turns against the inside of the cupboard. 

Maybe they are doing a home study for adoption or fostering, or getting certified for home daycare?

Yep. This is the reason.  Nothing too exciting or interesting, but I wish I had a great story to go with it.

I misread the title of the post and thought beaners wanted advice on STOCKING the cabinet............ I was so ready to advise!

If we weren't so good at stocking the cabinet, I wouldn't need the lock! That's the problem!