Menu

Do you track your nutrition numbers in My Fitness Pal (or other source)?

Ali in OR

I'm not following a specific plan to be low carb or high protein or anything like that. I've gained about 4-5 pounds over the last 6 months mostly by eating what I want and not tracking anything. I would like to get back to tracking and drop that weight back off. I have a goal for fiber (min 25 gm per day) and a rough calorie count (1600) that works for me. I have no idea what is a good range for protein. I don't like that they lump natural sugars like apples with added sugars--I should drop much of the latter but have no problem with the former (and I'm always over their sugar limit by afternoon!) I don't know if I should have a carb goal in mind--I would like to reduce but not eliminate breads, but I'm not going to go seriously low carb. I don't have any problems with sodium or fat usually (and not interested in going high fat, though I'll try to aim for good fats).

Anyway, I'm just curious what goals other people use for themselves if they track their daily nutrition numbers. Especially if you have a goal for protein and/or carbs. Thanks.

I use My Fitness Pal. I used to use sparkpeople, but then I got an iphone and the app is just so much easier to use. When I used spark people it was web based. I think there is now a spark people app, but it cost $ and MFP is free.

Anyway, I love it.

I have a goal of 40g of fiber and I try to keep it to 100g of carbs. But, I was told you can subtract the fiber grams from the carbs, so that means I can have more than 100g of carbs. Subtracting the fiber from the carbs is one way to manage the sugar from the fruit vs packaged food. But, I have no more than one serving of fruit, fresh or dried, per day anyway. I am petite, I have 1200 calories to play with, so I don't eat much fruit or anything sweet. It just adds up too quickly. 

I have a fitbit, and you can track your nutritional stats on their website.  I plan out what I will eat at the beginning of each day.  1100 - 1200 calories.  85 - 95 grams of carbs.  A 40/30/30 breakdown of protein/carbs/fat.  A general rule of thumb is half your weight in grams of protein.  So, if you are 140 pounds, you would aim for 70 grams of protein.  Just one suggestion!  It will take tweaking to find what works for you!

MFP, but I haven't used it much since early summer.  Since that time I've gained about 10 lbs.  I blame summertime ice cream treats and evening glasses of wine.   :coolgleamA:

Yeah, summer eating did me in too. Too many good treats!

I think even just paying attention to just calories is going to help. When I hit my 1600 for the day, I want to eat more, but I know I don't need more. Tracking on MFP helps me a lot--keeps me honest!

I used to use a body monitor from Body Media, but it broke and I haven't returned it or activated a new one.

Great idea for me. I lost 25 pounds before going to Israel. Without monitoring, I've unfortunately gained 10 back.

Sigh--thanks for the reminder to get back on a plan.

FWIW, you can adjust those settings (e.g. I rearranged mine to reflect my lchf goals though I don't recall how)

Go to "settings," then to "diary settings." You can change some things there. Also, if you want to change amounts of various things, go to "goals," then "change goals," then "custom."