Menu

The "old product" thread inspired me. I found an old workout video I used to do.........

Joanne

I KNEW you were going to say Jane Fonda! Both dh and I grew up watching our moms do it. "There's so much more to you than meets the eye ..."

I confess that when I was in college I got a copy and used it ... and later I lived with my MIL for a while and did it together. That tape works, and the visible hip bones and belts are a fun distraction ;)

OK - probably dating myself here, but does anyone remember the old "Go, you chicken fat, go" song?  My teachers used to play it in school during bad weather/indoor PE, and we would do some funky calisthenics to the song?  This was sometime in the mid-70s in North Dakota.  Please tell me someone else remembers this, and I'm not just hallucinating.   :lol:

Originally her stuff came out as an audio recording and book. I got the audio (33 1/3 LP record) first and used that in high school. Then I got the video. I rented other videos with her when I was just out of college.

I had those, too!!! And I thought I was quite progressive when I got the cassette version of the LP. :D

I loved her original Workout video, and I also had the one Joanne mentioned.

And then The Firm came out with Volume 1............

Complete with leg warmers. ;-) Old skool aerobics - Jane Fonda (skinny beyond comprehension)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JkOnQWCj7E

What iconic music, lifestyle, or other activity did you participate in?

OH M GOODNESS!!!!  This was my FAVORITE!  I am going to have to break this out next time my daughters come home for a visit.  I wonder if it will still kick my butt!!!  Thanks for posting....off to find my stripedy leg warmers.  <3

Looking at that video the first thing that comes to mind is Sir Mix A Lot's Baby Got Back from the early 1990s.  

So your girlfriend rolls a honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda

But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her honda.  

You can do side bends or sits ups

but please don't lose that butt

-signed a girl with no motor in the back of my honda either, lol.  

OK - probably dating myself here, but does anyone remember the old "Go, you chicken fat, go" song?  My teachers used to play it in school during bad weather/indoor PE, and we would do some funky calisthenics to the song?  This was sometime in the mid-70s in North Dakota.  Please tell me someone else remembers this, and I'm not just hallucinating.   :lol:

Oh my goodness, yes! My school PE teachers used that song all the time in the late 60s/early 70s in rural Pennsylvania.

As for iconic cultural trends I participated in.  Seattle grunge rock music.  I was personally more closely attached to (mostly PNW) riot grrl punk rock (Bikini Kill, The Gits, Team Dresch, Sleater Kinney) but no one got out of the 90s in Seattle without the grunge label and a slew of albums from bands who first signed with SubPop.  

My children wanted to hear "halloween" music so I pulled out my old Goofy Gold ( monster mash) album from the "70's and we have been listening to it since Saturday!!

I still know all the songs by heart!

Of course we are playing it on DH's old turntable -- he refuses to get rid of it -- he paid so much money for it  (back in "85)