Menu

Is anyone using the Memoria Press full curriculum? If so, how do you like it?

HappyGrace

Well, we tried it this year - the 5th grade package with some minor changes. We will be starting our 7th week on Monday.  Here's how it's shaking out:

• Famous Men of the Middle Ages - Great book, lots of info and beautiful color pictures.  However dd wasn't getting much in the way of what customs, traditions, and daily life was like in the Middle Ages.  So, since I had purchased TOG Year 2, Unit 1 to preview (in anticipating of possibly using it next year for Year 3), we found we liked it's history much better as it added in information about daily life and customs, etc.  It also used FMOMA as a read aloud for in-depth learning.  So I was able to continue using it.
  • Geography I- Boring....I didn't even start to use it. Black and white maps, static, repetitive info.  I, again, opted to use the TOG system for Geography.  DD is doing color maps and transparency map projects. Much more interesting.
  • Latina Christiana I - Introductory Latin.  Great program!  With the curriculum package, we got the learning dvd's, cds, and workbooks.  I also purchased the LC Review Sheets and Ludere Latine I for extra review.  I love it and so does DD.  It's a winner.  She's really enjoying Latin and is learning a lot very quickly.
  • Literature Selections - DD didn't enjoy these much.  We've learned she's not really much of a workbook kid (other than the Latin).  She found Adam of the Road really boring. Again, we've switched to the TOG lit books with their questions/projects or close substitutes I had picked out over the summer just in case (many of their books we can obtain from our Library).  Right now she's reading Raiders of the Sea which she is really enjoying.  I am using several different graphic organizers rather than lit questions. Things like "Cast of Characters", Character Analysis, Setting, Plot, Conflict/Solution Analysis Organizers and Story Pyramids.  These help her to dig deep into the story.
  • Grammar/Spelling - I got both the Grammar Recitations and R&S.  I like both of these.  Because we are doing Latin and getting so much grammar mixed in with that, I've chosen to just follow the English Grammar Recitation workbook and throw in some corresponding exercises from R&S when I feel the lesson needs reinforcement.  DD usually hates grammar, but seems happy with this program this year.  So it's a keeper!  I asked for the 6th grade spelling.  It's been a little too easy for DD.  I'm now switching to using TOG's 20 vocabulary words as her spelling.  We will begin this next week and see how it goes.
  • Classical Composition: Fable - Writing has never been DD's favorite subject and she absolutely hates this.  The constant repetition of rewriting the fables is sucking out whatever possibility of her ever liking writing. We are dumping that too.  Since we've found we love so much about TOG, I purchased the Writing Aids component last weekend and incorporated it into last weeks lessons.  It is extremely thorough and works in incremental steps beginning with dictation, sentences, paragraphs, steps to writing a story, research papers, theses, and so on.  Plus, all the assignments correlate to her history.  DD actually enjoyed her writing lessons last week - another win.
  • Christian Studies III - We do this class as a family thing in the evenings.  We read the Bible passages and then answer the questions orally and discuss.  This has been a very nice program and we thoroughly enjoy the discussions.

So, overall, while I really loved the idea of Memoria Press, it's just not a good fit for DD.  She much prefers the style and big, universal picture that TOG presents.  So, we'll be sticking with that.  I plan to purchase the other units of Year 2 as we need them.  Then, next year, I'll purchase the whole Y3 in the spring.  I guess we've finally found the perfect curriculum for us.  I've even lost compulsion of researching every curriculum I hear about and drooling over every magazine I receive.  I'm happy and satisfied that I found in TOG that perfect fit and no longer need to be constantly looking at something else.  I will, however, continue with MP's Latin program and their grammar products.  TOG does not provide those classes anyway.

While everyone's dc are different, I hope this gives you a little more to go on.  MP may be a great fit for you and your dc if you like the workbook style of learning.

Gee, now I need to change my signature....

I keep using it as our base and then tweak it.  So it isn't really like using the full program I guess.

I have modified everything from Junior K up to 2nd grade.

What we like:

Rod and Staff spelling

Rod and Staff arithmetic

Prima Latina with the DVDs and copybook

the book choices for read alouds and literature

The Golden Children's Bible

The Poetry and nursery rhyme books

The clear lesson plans

LOVE the recitations for all the levels

I previewed the grammar recitations and I think I will like that for 3rd grade.

What we skipped or changed:

I added MEP and word problems to the math

We don't do the workbook pages for the literature in 2nd.  We did do them for first and liked them.

we are doing the self-paced history with Veritas Press

For phonics, I preferred our use of Logic of English Foundations and Essentials

We are doing Pentime for handwriting instead of New American

I do readers with the children in addition to the literature for reading (Elson, McGuffey, Pathway)

Saddlemama - I just bought Fables for my 5th grader, because I really liked the look of it. Have you tried not doing the second re-write of the fable? I've been looking at it, and I think that's what I'll do. We're starting this late in the school year, but it looked good to me.

We are very happy with the MP choices this year.  We are 8 weeks in and haven't dropped anything.  The packages are writing heavy so my 4th grade boy is using the 3rd grade package.  Best decision ever!  

Things we Love:  Art Cards!!!!, Astronomy, States and Capitals, Latin, Copybook memory, and the Kindergarten enrichment book (mommy love).

Things we Like:  Literature guides, memory work and recitations, grammar book, and Greek Myths.

Things we Dislike: Nothing!

My 4th grade boy thrives on knowing what to expect each day and is easily overwhelmed with busy pages.  MP workbooks have been a good fit for him.  The memory work has given all the kids more confidence and a love for learning.  The only drawback to the memory work is that we have had to slow down Greek Myths and Astronomy to keep up.  I am loving how the sources are fitting the strengths and weaknesses of the kids and how I am able to customize them.  I can't say enough good things about the fit for our family, but I can easily see how it would not be a good fit for others.  

We have used MP's programs for several years now.  We've used parts of K-2, most of grade 3, and we're just about done with Grade 4.  The K-2 program is completely different from the 3-6 program, and I don't know what grade(s) you need.  

A quick summary of MP is that it is compact, deep, and efficient.  You will spend time really digging into the topics you are studying without all the "fluff."  You are assigned 3-4 literature books a year and will really get to know everything about the books.  That said, once you do the required work, you have plenty of time to add in whatever "fluff" aka enrichment activities that you'd like.

For us, the k-2 program didn't really match up with my kids' skill levels (and at these ages MP really focuses on basic math/reading/writing skills with enrichment activities thrown in for the other subjects.  The art cards are beautiful and we use them together as a family.

The real meat of the curriculum starts in 3rd grade with Latina Christiana, States & Capitals, Greek Myths, and Astronomy.  We are currently using most of 4th grade: First Form Latin, Famous Men of Rome, Geography I, and Insects.  The Latin is at a perfect, though challenging, pace for a 4th grader who has finished LC1.  It must be studied every day to ensure mastery.  This program was very well thought out and organized.

We break Famous Men of Rome into two days worth of work.  We also use this as a basis for our WWE-style narrations and dictations.  This course involves vocabulary study (which often overlaps with Latin), comprehension questions, discussion, timeline, and recitation questions.  The pictures are beautiful (my son loves to gaze at them) and the reading level was challenging at the beginning of the year, though he can understand them well now.  However, this course really is all about Rome and who they came in contact with, so it doesn't include much about other cultures during the same time period.  We have added in a lot of outside books for additional fun reading like "You wouldn't want to be a Roman Gladiator", The Roman Mysteries Series, and a lot of books on VP's literature list to really get into this time period.

Geography is short and sweet.  We added in the 10 days in Europe game and other resources to really get into the geography.  My son likes this "light" day.

I have really been impressed by the Insects course.  The text/reader is a Charlotte Mason-like narrative about encountering and observing insects in everyday life.  The book started with classification and types of metamorphosis, and then you learn about 8 orders of insects in depth.  It's gentle, but not dumbed down.  The student workbook includes comprehension questions and a sketchbook portion. There's also a recitation section for this course.

We don't use MP for math and grammar, but we love their other courses.  We do bible together in the morning along with  our art cards and we have read alouds going on during lunch.  In January my oldest will start with their 5th grade program and my second son will start 3rd grade.  

If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

We have used MP's programs for several years now.  We've used parts of K-2, most of grade 3, and we're just about done with Grade 4.  The K-2 program is completely different from the 3-6 program, and I don't know what grade(s) you need....

Thank you!  I'm another one about to take the plunge.  I've been drawn to MP ever since I first saw it and finally decided to give it a go next year.  We'll start with 2nd grade, keeping our current math program in lieu of R&S.  I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you!  I'm another one about to take the plunge.  I've been drawn to MP ever since I first saw it and finally decided to give it a go next year.  We'll start with 2nd grade, keeping our current math program in lieu of R&S.  I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds good.  My current 2nd grader is using the Literature, Prima Latina (with Copywork Cursive), the art cards, and the recitation.  We do our own math, grammar, bible, and then we mix & match the enrichment topics.  He also reads a lot on his own.  I like the idea of having one science day, one art day, one social studies day, etc.  It helps keep things organized around here. 

Saddlemama - I just bought Fables for my 5th grader, because I really liked the look of it. Have you tried not doing the second re-write of the fable? I've been looking at it, and I think that's what I'll do. We're starting this late in the school year, but it looked good to me.

Yes.  We did only one rewrite.  She just really disliked working with the same fable for two weeks.  She is now much happier using the TOG writing tied to her history.  She just wrote two very nice paragraphs about Viking life last week.  This week her writing will be about castle life and destriers.  She's actually excited about that for once.

Guest smicketysmock

As you can tell from my post count, I just really don't post on this forum, or really any forum.  I'm a habitual lurker.  This is the first time I feel really compelled to sing a curriculum's praises!

This is my 10th year of homeschooling, and I have five children.  I've used a plethora of curricula throughout the years.  Sonlight, Veritas Press, BJU, most of the TWTM suggestions, Singapore, Saxon, Rod & Staff---really, you name it, I've tried it or looked at it intently.  I have tweaked or dropped everyone of these.  I'm a curriculum hopper, or I should say a now reformed curriculum hopper!  

I've used dibs and dabs of the MP curriculum in the past.  I decided to go full force with it for my three youngest children.  I'm using the 7th grade package for my 8th grader, and I'm using the 4th grade package for my 5th & 4th grade daughters.  My 5th grade daughter is taking First Form Latin with the MP Online Academy and is using the 5th grade math and spelling.  My 4th grader is using Latina Christiana (mom-taught) and SWR because she is a very weak speller.  My 8th grader is doing Algebra instead of Pre-Algebra, and he is taking Latin and Composition online with the MP Online Academy.  These are the only substitutions.  

I cannot tell how wonderful this year is!  I am thrilled beyond belief!  My kids are learning and loving it.  We don't write every answer to every question in the workbooks.  We use those questions as discussion focal points, but I do have them write the answers for some every week.  I pick and choose using the tests in the back to decide which ones for them to write.  I'll add more as the year progresses.  

We've yet to drag out paint or scissors this year, and my kids are not bored and do not miss the craft projects I always tried to include in years past.  They draw in their sketchbooks scenes from their literature or history.  They also draw the insects they're learning.  Talking about insects, my girls notice insects now.  They bend down, looking at what kind they are, trying to identify the order they belong to based on their features!  This is in the afternoons or evenings after book work, and there is no prompting from me at all.  

The daily recitations are worth their weight in gold!  We do them almost everyday, but we change it up at least once a week.  Sometimes, they just go through the flashcards I've made of the questions on their own.  Sometimes, one of them is the "teacher" and calls out the questions, while I help answer.  

I admit that I used to look at Famous Men of Rome and the workbook and say, "Too much busy work.  Boring.  Too basic."  I get it now after following the plans for six weeks.  It truly is deep, not wide.  Even my girly-girl loves these stories of Romans.  We've had incredible discussions and discoveries in the first five chapters!  I did NOT want to give up SOTW, but MP has the children read the volumes in the summers.  Mine listen to them on their iPods.  Also, MP uses SWB's premise for Writing With Ease in their 3rd grade composition program.  It ties into the literature books.  

We are using Classical Composition, and I'm blown away with it.  I was scared of it because I'm a CW dropout.  I've wanted to teach the progym for so long, but I couldn't wrap my brain around it until I observed some of my son's classes and read his teacher's remarks on his papers.  I'm slowly getting it.  He comes and helps my 4th and 5th graders with their variations and paraphrases, and he gives them hints and advice.  We are going slower than the plans, and that's okay.  If I get through only 2/3 of the first book, it's rich enough that I'll be fine with it.  

And on top of all this---the customer service!  It's fantastic!  Tanya is so sweet and helpful.  They really do want homeschoolers to succeed and help in any way they can. 

I am finally "home" curriculum-wise!  Just don't overlook the simplicity of it.  It's simple, effective, interesting, and deep.   It's perfect for our busy family!

Charlotte

Listening in...  I'm thinking of moving the MP direction, particularly with my 3rd grader, I like their materials and I *love* what Mr. Cothran writes every time I get my Classical Teacher mag. in the mail :)

I'd like to get my 6th grader transitioned too for some things but I'm not sure where to start with her.  I wish I'd thought of doing this when I was doing my planning last spring, sigh.

I'm running a hybrid curriculum for 3rd and 5th grade boys this year:

We've taken religious studies, phonics, spelling, voyages in english, catholic national reader, and some other snippets of various subjects from Kolbe.

From Memoria press, we grabbed some science, grammar, history, penmanship, geography, and Latin.

Singapore Math + Life of Fred

Writing Strands

Additional science from Ellen McHenry books.

Logic/Philosophy from miscellaneous sources.

SOTW for additional history, especially activity projects.

In general, I love the Memoria Press comprehensive curriculum - but I do find that it does require a parent and/or other sources to jazz up some of the content.  Discovery Streaming plus and/or online classes can help.

No full programs here, but I think I would have liked them if I wasn't already on the WTM rotations and plans that work so well for us. I looked at the K package and seriously considered if the year they came out w/them for my younger, but decided the WTM S&S was already working for my older, so we stuck with it. Plus I would hate to give up SOTW in the grammar stage, as a whole program, not just a summer reader.

But I love the products we have used: Latin, Christian Studies, and their new sciences.  I read Famous Men of Rome along w/LCI, but haven't tried their study guides.  We have used the 3rd and 5th grade sciences and they have been good, though it is never all we do.  We do them more WTM style, using them as resources or units during our year as opposed to the only thing we use for science.   We bought the Kindergarten art cards this year for memory work, but we also use them as a jumping off point for art history reading from other sources.

And I am a R&S user, so I like that they use so much of it.  I think I would like the guides for the memory work reminders to keep me on track, but I can't justify the expense for the guide when I am scheduling and doing everything else my own way.  It is too much for just a memorywork guide, so I try to keep myself on track with that using WTM.

Oh, I saw that in the last catalog!  Thanks for the reminder.  I can also now buy the guide for just the science, which I would like to see how they schedule too! 

Most of their content subjects (history, bible, geography, science) are scheduled for one 90 minute lesson block a week, with a quick cumulative review session  on Friday. Both the Astronomy and Insects have about 32 lessons, so it's not that hard to schedule.  The recitations are worth the $3-$4, though.

MP is the first and only boxed curriculum I've ever used.  Before I piece custom plans for every child in a WTM fashion.  Dh liked what was going on but felt like missing the idea of my day to day plans.  We are using MP as a core with our choice of Math and (Science for upper grades).  Currently we are using Jr K, K, parts of 1st, 2nd, 3rd with 4th lit & First Form Latin.  There is a change from 2nd to 3rd but MP products still have the same simple layout.  The levels flow nicely together and don't seem to have large jumps.  Each level is designed to be challenging but over the top.  The program is easy to supplement but does require it.  I'm amazed at how well this program is working for our special needs kids.    

MP is the first and only boxed curriculum I've ever used.  Before I piece custom plans for every child in a WTM fashion.  Dh liked what was going on but felt like missing the idea of my day to day plans.  We are using MP as a core with our choice of Math and (Science for upper grades).  Currently we are using Jr K, K, parts of 1st, 2nd, 3rd with 4th lit & First Form Latin.  There is a change from 2nd to 3rd but MP products still have the same simple layout.  The levels flow nicely together and don't seem to have large jumps.  Each level is designed to be challenging but over the top.  The program is easy to supplement but does require it.  I'm amazed at how well this program is working for our special needs kids.    

Would you mind elaborating on how your special needs kids are doing with the program?  Our four year-old has autism and is nonverbal and I've been following a forum thread on the development of a special needs curriculum package over on the MP site with interest.  I have already read Cheryl Swope's Simply Classical and got some great ideas from it, but I'd love to hear more from you.

My little girls are hard of hearing/deaf, adopted at 4 and 3 unDX recovering from large developmental delays.  My eldest is a very unique learner and over laps some autism traits.  For my kids it takes time to learn the patterns of school/curriculum.  MP workbooks simple (blunt) pattern to their layout is similar through the levels.  For most subjects a days work is on the back and front of pages (page 2 & 3) in workbooks making it possible to lay it out and see all the work at once.  Two of my kids loose track at page turning so this is great for us.  Each subjects lesson is laid out in the same way minimizing frustration from change of patterns common in other curriculum (like done to create interest).  Discussions and questions can be taken deeply or simple as the particular child needs.

We stagger the start of different subjects so our weeks looks nothing like MP plans.  Our school year is around 40 weeks which makes it easy to supplement and possible to take the time a struggling child needs.  My Jr K doesn't transition between subjects well so she does 2 to 3 lesson of the same subject and ends her school day.  My Kinder is my most challenging child, she doing better than I imagined, once she got the pattern.  We still have melt downs from gaps in her knowledge but it not the curriculum.  Our read-alouds are selected from MP lists but not their order, one picture book and one chapter of a chapter book a day.  My kids favorite right now is The Saturday from the 3rd grade list.  1st is an after school extra in our home.  2nd is my normal child who doesn't like writing but is doing more than surviving.   My eldest was given choices from MP curriculum to make a core.  Her choices prove the strength of MP components for special needs kids.  She is taking most of the 3rd grade stuff at double pace because she really wanted the Greek Myths study.  We added large sections of memory work for her and hope to have her on MP grade level in less than 2 years.  (Currently old 4th or very young 5th)  Astronomy, Latin and Math are her favorites.  (She does have the maturity and Latin background for FFL)   DD is a perfectionist and out grown melt downs when she'd find out she had a spelling mistake.  We use a spiral notebook for working on answers that I correct and she copies into the workbooks.  Quite time with books is also required daily in our house.

My Dh was right that the move to MP would free up my time (lesson planning).  Part of the reason I found WTM was I want a beautiful education for my kids.  The problem for us was my custom plans were better planned for my special kids and my normal child was missing out.  He likes flying under the radar and everything comes easily for him.  DH can take over the core teaching for every child at the drop of a hat. (Something that couldn't happen before)  Everything I created is still usable for following children as a supplement.  

I rotate through my kids with lots of one on one time during the school day.  School for us starts around 9 and doesn't finish until about 5:30 for me with Astronomy and Christian Studies readings happening before bed once a week.  Jr K may take 1 1/2 hours 3 days a week plus hours of detail coloring of her finished pages.  Kinders picked up her speed recently but won't stop unless little sister is done.  She currently getting more supplements.  2nd is my only child that likes wasting time.  A timer is set and if he waste his time he gets homework and an earlier bed time.  (Favorite excuse right now is he's tired)  My eldest has set high goals for herself but learned/learning that she does her best work when she has breaks.  (I allow because she tends to use them reading aloud to little sisters)  This child hyper focuses so breaks minimize her frustrations.  Eldest and 2nd could finish their work in less 4 hrs if back to back.  We hit brick walls from time to time and regroup.  

I haven't finished Simply Classical as my time is spent consuming books on teaching the deaf to read, Helen Keller and ASL.  What Cheryl has done for her kids sounds wonderful.  And I like her daughter's poetry.  

Most of their content subjects (history, bible, geography, science) are scheduled for one 90 minute lesson block a week, with a quick cumulative review session  on Friday. Both the Astronomy and Insects have about 32 lessons, so it's not that hard to schedule.  The recitations are worth the $3-$4, though.

I know they do them once a week.  I have glanced through their guides enough to see that.  But that is interesting that the insects is broken up into lessons.  We are doing Astronomy, and there is no clear delineation of what constitutes a lesson.  I guess I would really like to know how many pages a week they are doing, that kind of thing.  I muddle through and it works out. I do a mix of things anyway.  Maybe there isn't much more instruction in there about how of each science they do like I thought there would be?  thanks..

Guest smicketysmock

We are doing Astronomy, and there is no clear delineation of what constitutes a lesson.  I guess I would really like to know how many pages a week they are doing, that kind of thing.  I muddle through and it works out. I do a mix of things anyway.  Maybe there isn't much more instruction in there about how of each science they do like I thought there would be?  thanks..

I agree about the Astronomy lessons.  This year, the Insect study is, in my opinion, much better structured and so much easier to teach.  I admit, I did not finish Astronomy because I had such a hard time with the star names and the constellations.  My girls have already asked that we go back and finish it this summer, though.  So, we probably will.

The Insect Workbook is very organized and tells the instructor exactly which pages to read from the reader, and then a two-page spread in the workbook is completed each week.  On the left side of the workbook are recitation facts and comprehension questions.  The right side has observation instructions, sketching instructions, and diagrams to complete.  They take a quiz on Fridays, but I usually give them a word bank or have an open book (reader only) quiz.  

It's very well-laid out, and we are having a much more successful year, if that helps you at all.  In fact, I think it's easier content material for the kids, also.  I know they put Astronomy with 3rd grade because it correlates with the Greek Myths they are studying.  However, the concepts are somewhat more abstract and more difficult to relate to than the ones in the Insect study, in my opinion.  

They are more abstract, that is why I think it is working out great for my 4th and 6th grader instead of younger kids.  We are using it more for our memorization. I like doing the constellations and stars because it is something I haven't covered in depth w/them before.  We are doing more science reading using Usborne and other books to go deeper.   We have been practicing the star names when we practice our other memory work, and then pages to fill out in the workbook are quick work for them. They do definitions and notebook pages on the extra reading we do.  Then we follow up w/the planetarium as often as possible to cement it for us.  Both are actually taking another science class as well w/co-op, so I don't worry about the Astronomy being too young.  They are getting plenty. 

We  aren't even doing the corresponding myths this year, mostly because I haven't bought the book yet LOL.  We are in middle ages for history, and dd9 is doing FMOR alongside her LCI too, and we did ancients last year... so plenty of history/lit going on already :)  I plan on getting the book though to keep some of the myths fresh as we go through, but it isn't a priority.

Anyway, nice to hear about the insects.  I considered it last year, but co-op was doing it using something else, so we went with that instead. 

OP, I know we got a bit OT, sorry!  But I do enjoy talking to others using MP, because not a lot of people do yet, though I am always spreading the word.  I have been pretty happy w/all that I use. I am thankful for the simple to use, easy to supplement science packs for the 2 yrs I have used them.  I would love to try the trees unit from the 6th grade since we liked the birds so much.  The next time we do a biology year my ydd will be in middle school so I am planning on it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are 7 weeks into 3rd grade. We do everything as written except we don't do the Christian studies because we are "heathens" to use a Rod and Staff spelling word from this week. I have her do Horizon math 3 , in addition to rod and staff, and we add a chapter of SOTW with discussion questions and activity pages once or twice a week. We also do classical conversations, so we spend extra time going over that memory work too.

My daughter isn't able to squeeze everything that is scheduled in so we are actually on week 5 instead of week 7 for grammer, spelling, and composition.

I really like the program.

My daughter is a notorious daydreamer so it takes longer than it should. Rod and Staff math is way too easy for my daughter but the drill is great so I've kept it but I don't feel comfortable having it as our only. The spelling is very difficult for her but we're slowly plowing through.

I HAVE to start the memory questions. I really like them but haven't found a way to sneak them into the day... Maybe I should go wake her up??? Ha, but I really do like them almost that much.

I love the astronomy. It's the first time science is consistently getting done although it takes longer for my daughter to memorize the stars, constellations, etc then they have scheduled. I don't have her memorize the bible verses though so we continue at a slower rate with the memorization but continue through the lessons at the assigned rate.

Thanks for the topic. I wish the memoria press forum was busier so there was more chatter from moms doing the program... Guess they're over here.

Take care,

We are using

10th grade:  MP online classes for Latin and Composition

Going wonderfully.  I pay, they teach.  DD learns.  Fantastic for me and her.

7th grader:

6th grade full program

DD catching up on all I think she needs before moving to higher level work.  Doing Rod and Staff 6 - very thorough and a great way to be sure she has no gaps.  Challlenging for her after Saxon 7/6 which is surprising.

She is also taking Latin and comp online.  Going very, very well.

I will admit there are no frills but she enjoys having a schedule printed out and working ahead if she wants.  I love!!! the fact that in this season of burnout for me regarding homeschooling my kids are excelling.  How great is that?

K:

full program.  On week 11 - reading and memorizing.  Open and go, very thorough.  I love! that the basics are covered and I have a supplemental guide if I want more.

I'll copy a statement from above because I thoroughly concur...

"A quick summary of MP is that it is compact, deep, and efficient.  You will spend time really digging into the topics you are studying without all the "fluff."  You are assigned 3-4 literature books a year and will really get to know everything about the books.  That said, once you do the required work, you have plenty of time to add in whatever "fluff" aka enrichment activities that you'd like."

Huge MP fan here.  I am thankful they are getting me through this stage of burnout regarding curricula, teaching and challenging my students.  A tad pricey would be the one downside of what we're doing this year.  I've learned my lesson in saying we will be with something next year (homeschool is not anything if not changing in this household) but I PLAN to.

7th grader:

6th grade full program

DD catching up on all I think she needs before moving to higher level work.  Doing Rod and Staff 6 - very thorough and a great way to be sure she has no gaps.  Challlenging for her after Saxon 7/6 which is surprising.

Has the change in format for Math been difficult? We are using Thinkwell 6 this year for my 6th grader but it is nowhere near enough, I don't think.  We need to do something and I'm thinking of R&S.  How did you choose grade 6, did you find a placement test anywhere? I'm also thinking of switching my 3rd grader over but I'm not sure where to start. I'd love any thoughts you have!

Hi Kel,

no it hasn't been difficult.  Rod and Staff is nuts and bolts math.  No frills.  That is exactly what we needed.  

I have to be honest.  It showed me she is

1) not confident in her math abilites

2) not solid on some of her facts which in turn slow her down

What a glorious thing to learn now before she gets any further up.  

As far as choosing?  I looked at the 7th grade College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra book size and thought to myself,

"if I give this kid this book she will cry EVERY day".  She was not ready. After this year, she will be very, very ready.

Hope this helps.  

I've used dibs and dabs of the MP curriculum in the past.  I decided to go full force with it for my three youngest children.  I'm using the 7th grade package for my 8th grader, and I'm using the 4th grade package for my 5th & 4th grade daughters.  My 5th grade daughter is taking First Form Latin with the MP Online Academy and is using the 5th grade math and spelling.  My 4th grader is using Latina Christiana (mom-taught) and SWR because she is a very weak speller.  My 8th grader is doing Algebra instead of Pre-Algebra, and he is taking Latin and Composition online with the MP Online Academy.  These are the only substitutions.  

Is the material too advanced at grade level, or are you combining grades to simplify life with multiple children?

We have used MP's programs for several years now.  We've used parts of K-2, most of grade 3, and we're just about done with Grade 4.  The K-2 program is completely different from the 3-6 program, and I don't know what grade(s) you need.  

A quick summary of MP is that it is compact, deep, and efficient.  You will spend time really digging into the topics you are studying without all the "fluff."  You are assigned 3-4 literature books a year and will really get to know everything about the books.  That said, once you do the required work, you have plenty of time to add in whatever "fluff" aka enrichment activities that you'd like.

For us, the k-2 program didn't really match up with my kids' skill levels (and at these ages MP really focuses on basic math/reading/writing skills with enrichment activities thrown in for the other subjects.  The art cards are beautiful and we use them together as a family.

The real meat of the curriculum starts in 3rd grade with Latina Christiana, States & Capitals, Greek Myths, and Astronomy.  We are currently using most of 4th grade: First Form Latin, Famous Men of Rome, Geography I, and Insects.  The Latin is at a perfect, though challenging, pace for a 4th grader who has finished LC1.  It must be studied every day to ensure mastery.  This program was very well thought out and organized.

We break Famous Men of Rome into two days worth of work.  We also use this as a basis for our WWE-style narrations and dictations.  This course involves vocabulary study (which often overlaps with Latin), comprehension questions, discussion, timeline, and recitation questions.  The pictures are beautiful (my son loves to gaze at them) and the reading level was challenging at the beginning of the year, though he can understand them well now.  However, this course really is all about Rome and who they came in contact with, so it doesn't include much about other cultures during the same time period.  We have added in a lot of outside books for additional fun reading like "You wouldn't want to be a Roman Gladiator", The Roman Mysteries Series, and a lot of books on VP's literature list to really get into this time period.

Geography is short and sweet.  We added in the 10 days in Europe game and other resources to really get into the geography.  My son likes this "light" day.

I have really been impressed by the Insects course.  The text/reader is a Charlotte Mason-like narrative about encountering and observing insects in everyday life.  The book started with classification and types of metamorphosis, and then you learn about 8 orders of insects in depth.  It's gentle, but not dumbed down.  The student workbook includes comprehension questions and a sketchbook portion. There's also a recitation section for this course.

We don't use MP for math and grammar, but we love their other courses.  We do bible together in the morning along with  our art cards and we have read alouds going on during lunch.  In January my oldest will start with their 5th grade program and my second son will start 3rd grade.  

If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

I agree with Sleepless 100%!! MP is great! We've done Sonlight, HOD, TOG, MFW and many others; this is the first curriculum that we have stuck with and use as written (almost as written - I use Brave Writer and CLE)

I'm not sure if I have commented on this thread or not. Last year we went through JrK and I wrote lots about it on my blog. This year we are in week 11 of Kinder and love it. It is exactly what my DD needs.

As far as writing in kinder... basically it starts you from the beginning. Individual letter focus and with tracing and sight/line copywork moving into dictation in both words and numbers. I could talk about MP for hours so if you want to know anything about the earliest full packages I would love to elaborate.

I'm not sure if I have commented on this thread or not. Last year we went through JrK and I wrote lots about it on my blog. This year we are in week 11 of Kinder and love it. It is exactly what my DD needs.

As far as writing in kinder... basically it starts you from the beginning. Individual letter focus and with tracing and sight/line copywork moving into dictation in both words and numbers. I could talk about MP for hours so if you want to know anything about the earliest full packages I would love to elaborate.

I would love for you to elaborate on the kindergarten, thus far!

I have a boy (age 4) who is learning to read well, doing math nicely, but isn't writing yet (I'm not happy with the program we're using there too, so that is something, lol). I would keep our current math I think, but I'm interested in the rest of the program. The only other thing I would sub out is their Bible - we'd use a Catholic Children's Bible. What do you think of their science/history extensions? Their phonics program? The enrichment book? Does the enrichment have crafts and other activities?

I always love the catalog and want to get something. I am using Prima Latina with my 2nd grader and love it. One thing that's kept me from doing it is my dd's reading level--she's reading on an 8th grade level. Do any of you use it with advanced readers?

My kids have all been early/advanced readers.  The main reason we haven't used much of grades K-2 is that the reading/writing instruction didn't match up with our kids' needs.  We start using the complete curriculum in 3rd grade.  We use their 3rd grade reading program.  Even though the reading is easy, the workbooks add in other literature elements and the 3rd grade composition is based on these readings.  We also schedule in 30 minutes reading books that I select that are more in line with their reading levels.

The literature selections rapidly start to increase in difficulty later in elementary school and they are reading the Iliad and the Odyssey in 7th grade.  Also, the Famous Men books are written at a more difficult reading level.  The Form Latin program has also helped with reading level & vocabulary too.

In your case, I might wait to jump into MP's program until 3rd grade.  That's where it really starts to get good!