Menu

Family read aloud suggestions

dovrar

My son recently checked out The Rescuers audiobook from the library for us to listen to as a family while doing run around and I am so glad that he did.  We were all pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it is.  Anyone else have a similar experience and care to share the title?

Ds10 and I are enjoying Heidi right now, and dd6 likes Treasures of the Snow.

In the past we have loved Brendan Fraser's reading of Dragon Rider, The Phantom Tollbooth read by David Hyde Pierce, and Peter Pan on Librivox.

My kids are loving the Wolves series by Joan Aiken.  We have read so far The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Black Hearts in Battersea, Nightbird on Nantucket, The Stolen Lake, and just started Dangerous Games (aka Limbo Lodge).  They really love Dido as a heroine.  I have to say, I'm getting a little tired of the series . . . we might take a break before continuing.  But they love it!  Besides the fact that they are fun stories with a strong heroine, I love the advanced vocab, and for me the "alternate history" piece keeps my interest.

We've really loved the Green Knowe series, and Holes was a huge hit here. After reading the book, I let DD watch the movie, and she's been digging a hole/acting out Holes in the backyard for going on a month now. 

As far as audiobooks go, DD has listened to A Bear Called Paddington (read by Stephen Fry), Because of Winn-Dixie (narrated by Cherry Jones), and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (read by Jim Dale) multiple times. I really enjoyed Alfred Molina's reading of Treasure Island and Elijah Wood's narration of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. 

I was shocked that my children loved The Book of Virtues for Young People.  My 3yo dd asked for it by name every night.  (I skipped the Anne Frank extract and a couple of others that I thought were just too hard to explain.)  The children were perfectly content for us to read "The Gift of the Magi", "The Sword of Damocles", and "The Charge of the Light Brigade".  I had been looking for The Book of Virtues for Children and picked up the other by mistake.

Our whole family has loved The Ranger's Apprentice Series, including dh.  We have read the 11 books in the series and, hooray, book 12 has just been released and I bought it yesterday. Of course, it is highly anticipated...

http://www.amazon.com/Rangers-Apprentice-Ruins-Gorlan-ebook/dp/B004T6DGZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381035379&sr=8-1&keywords=ranger%27s+apprentice+book+1

My son recently checked out The Rescuers audiobook from the library for us to listen to as a family while doing run around and I am so glad that he did.  We were all pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it is.  Anyone else have a similar experience and care to share the title?

I don't know if any of the sequels are on audio book, but I have a 3-book set from when I was a child that I read to my kids... The Turret, and Miss Bianca are the others, all by Marjory Sharp.

The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles

Bamboo Hats and a Rice Cake (a picture book, but so nice!)

anything by Shel Silverstein

Brambley Hedge books

Winnie the Pooh

The  Secret Garden

A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Water Buffalo Children

A Patchwork Child

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series

The Wizard of Oz books (all 10 or so of them!)

Alice In Wonderland

Marguerite Henry's books

excerpts from Julia Child

any good dictionary (pick entries at random and read, or flip and read anything with a picture)

Celestial Tea boxes (pick a mood suitable for the box at hand and read accordingly, such as sleepy, soothing, relaxed, energized, mystical, etc.)

notes made on ancient maps

the odd signs along the way ("what do you suppose they meant by that?")

greeting cards at the store (One of my favorite shows an old shipwreck on a beach.  Inside it says "Ship happens."  The kids don't get it, but they laughed when I busted up, and occasionally say to me "ship happens" just to see me chuckle.  They never get the timing right.)

Cricket magazine.  Or any magazine they find interesting.

Stuff abounds.  A few weeks ago I had a sinus infection that also affected my voice for a while.  I sent the kids to bed earlier so I could go to bed earlier.  I couldn't read out loud, so they took turns reading to each other (and to me when I could stay up long enough).  Kids find lots of things interesting to read, not just books!

We just Finished Little Britches tonight and we all loved it. Next is The Shakespeare Stealer then Anne of Green Gables and Johnny Tremain. 

Earlier this year we did some from Lang's Blue Fairy Book and also Rascal, Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin, The Princess and the Goblin and The Railway Children.

I read aloud many of the books mentioned here, one of kids favorites is the Fablehaven series. It is really fun-- magical creatures and such, female heroine (with a little brother as the number 2 character) and teaches about the importance of following the rules and choosing the right. Brandon Mull is the author. He has 3 series out right now.