Menu

Would you buy an e-book for your tween girl?

OrganicAnn

Would you buy an e-book for your tween girl?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy an e-book for your tween girl?

• Yes, I would try one book to see if she would like it.
    • Yes, but only if it had rave reviews from a trusted source
    • Maybe. It would depend on the subject, reviews and so many factors.
    • No. We don't have a Kindle or similar device.
    • No. We just prefer "real" books.
    • Other - please specify. Thanks!

If you heard of a series of books that you could download from Amazon for 99 cent each, how likely would you buy one?    Say you've heard another mother say that they were good.   Or you read someone on this board refer to them as something their DD liked.   

Looking at a target market of girls ages 10 to 14

I read a great book about starting businesses and they suggest try to survey your target market to gauge demand before investing your time and money.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

If it's by an "unknown" author, I prefer having either a chapter or so or the whole first book free. $.99 doesn't sound like a lot, but as a consumer we're faced with dozens of potential series.

If it's by an "unknown" author, I prefer having either a chapter or so or the whole first book free. $.99 doesn't sound like a lot, but as a consumer we're faced with dozens of potential series.

Thanks for the feedback.   I guess often the first book in the series might be free and the rest are .99?   

Are there lots of potential series for tween girls?    I guess I'll have to do some research on that. 

This is the type of information that is very helpful in exploring a new adventure.

I don't have any dds but my ds13 reads ebooks, if that helps you at all.

When I was a tween, I loved books that were part of a series, because I was always kind of sad when I finished reading a great stand-alone book and knew I would never "see" the characters again.

There have been some wildly successful series books for Tweens, so if you can write them, I think you could be very successful.

And of course, as soon as you get ready to sell them, be sure to let us know so we can download your first book and post glowing reviews on Amazon for you! :)

Good luck!!!

Yes. We bought the first book, in a series, for DD, at a very low price. I think the next one was between 3 and 5 dollars. Amazon Kindle for PC is used here. As I recall, there were a LOT of reviews on Amazon. I believe it is a very popular series that she is reading.  Possibly it was also available in Print, but the Shipping to us, for a Print book, would have killed the sale. We told DD we will buy them, one at a time. After she finishes one, if she wants another one, we will buy it for her.  I buy it on my Amazon account and then send her a "Gift" of the Kindle Book and she gets it, in 2 or 3 minutes.

OP   I suggest that you go to the SmashWords web site http://www.smashwords.com/ and download their FREE ebooks about Publishing an eBook.  I learned a lot, reading and studying their free publications. When I was contemplating writing an eBook, earlier this year (someone suggested it to me and my cousin thought it would sell...) , I was going to "Publish" it on Amazon for Kindle, and also on SmashWords, for Apple, etc.  The thing that killed the idea for me, was the cost of hiring an experienced Editor, to correct my grammar and sentence structure.  The rest of it, I could have done myself.  One of my cousins is married to a successful writer. One of the things that she told me is that you MUST be devoted to the project. It requires a lot of time and a lot of work.  GL

I'd get the first one (or sample the first chapter) and see if she likes it enough to continue. I've bought ebooks for both DDs before. I guess I'm not really seeing the dilemma.

I bought the Wool Omnibus when it went on sale because I kept hearing about it (here included) and thought it sounded good, then paid regular price for the other ebooks in the series because I really liked it.

Like WordNerd, I'm more likely to download a free first book to try, and then consider purchasing more in the series.  

I wold probably read the book myself, too, just to see what it's like.

I won't keeping downloading, free or not, if the editing is poor.  Life's too short to read crummy books, regardless of the price.

Dd12 reads ebooks. About half of what she reads is electronic. We get most of it a checkout from the library since I'm cheap, but I have certainly bought ebooks for her. The whole Harry Potter series, several of Rick Riordan's books, James Patterson's Maximum Ride and Daniel X.

I will buy an ebook for her if I know it's a series she likes. There would have to be a chapter online for me to buy a new series., but if it was good then 99 cents is reasonable.

I'll only buy ebook versions of conventionally published books. My experience with self-published books, while limited, as been uniformly poor. I'd assume a 99c book was self-published and of dubious quality and skip it.

As you're doing research, I'll add that dd12 gets pocket money and does buy ebooks for herself. If it were marketed directly at her, and especially if it were linked in some way to another book she'd enjoyed (through reviews or recommendations), she'd probably think 99c was a bargain and buy it.

So in our family, it wouldn't sell if it were targetied my dd through me, but if it were targeted at her directly, maybe. It's only really in the past year that she's had access to regular pocket money, though, and she's at the upper end of the target market. I don't pre-read what she buys but we share an account so I'd see it.