Menu

First or second edition of TWTM?

I got the second and then borrowed the first from the library. The first is way better. It has a more homey feel, like a pair of experienced friends giving your the benefit of their experience. Plus, it seems to give me more confidence that I can do it even without a nicely planned curriculum (although as a working mom, I am grateful for planned curriculum.)

Now I feel like I have to find the first edition somewhere after reading this thread, lol. I've never read the first, but I do like the 2nd edition science over the third edition. 

After reading other threads that mention the 1st edition, I had to get my own copy of the 1st edition to compare.  I think you can get it for around $4 or $5 on the internet including shipping so go for it! I really liked the slightly different perspective of the 1st edition.

Haven't read the first.  I own the 2nd and the 3rd.  I use the 2nd edition more often than the 3rd for methodology, so I am sure the 1st is the best for that between the 1st and 2nd.   I specifically like the 2nd better for science and history logic stage and writing suggestions.  If the 1st edition has even better info included for those, well now I want a copy of it too!  Both use SOTW in grammar stage, so they are the same for me.  But I like having the 3rd for the foreign language suggestions.  It is more up to date when I am looking at sequence ideas.  And even the 3rd is out of date in that dept now.  MP didn't have the First Form series out yet when they printed 3rd edition.  It is slightly hard to plan latin when none of the suggested schedules line up exactly.  I had to forge my own path there for my dd11. And I still haven't found a Spanish that I like as much as I like MP materials.  I would love to hear what they think about what is out there now.  Time for another edition maybe before I plan high school for her and logic stage for younger... maybe ? :)

I love my first edition. It somehow makes it all seem simpler, which I appreciate. The reccomendations are all outdated, but I come here for my reccomendations anyways and rarely end up using SWB products for some reason (except SOTW and her extra reading recs for that come in the Activity Guide).