Menu

Why why why did I do it again??

We got Amazon Prime a few months ago... And I still get a little giddy every time that package shows up in a day or two! ;)

Tara, I'm with you. I ordered once from RR. They held my order forever, finally didn't send one item that was still out of stock, and that item ws the only reason I'd ordered from them instead of Amazon or CBD in the first place.

I know a lot of people like them, and they serve a valuable role to homeschoolers. But they are last resort only here.

My RR orders are usually here within a week, unless something is backordered. I do wish they'd change their system to show backordered status online. If it's backordered, they don't necessarily tell you. They just hold for 5 days, because a lot of that stuff is already on its way, due that week. Then they ship it off once it gets there. So you may not even realize it was backordered. You can call the day after ordering and ask if anything is backordered.

I've been lucky and only had a backordered item once so far. Backorders are pretty common with them though, so that may be the reason why you are getting them so late.

Also, I often get the shipping notice the evening of the day it arrives. :lol:

Hmm. I've never had a problem with slow shipping from Rainbow Resource. Never. OTOH, there was an item we ordered from CBD that took EIGHT MONTHS to arrive. Yes, eight months, for a hymn book that was never listed as "backordered." :001_rolleyes: And when it finally did arrive, there was a huge scratch all the way down the front cover. :bored: When I contacted CBD's customer service, the hymn book was promptly replaced with a perfect copy. I still wonder why the first (damaged) copy took so long to get here.

I love Rainbow Resource! Every shipment feeds my addiction and is like a Party in a Box. :party: No problems here.

I ordered on August 6th. My order wasn't even given to their shipping partner (DHL) until August 15th, even though they said that most orders were getting out the door in two days (and my order was 4 workbooks, not anything huge or complicated). It then took another three days before the order was even processed by DHL, and now it's just been sent to UPS. If it arrives tomorrow (which is doubtful), it will be have taken 17 days. I think that's pretty ridiculous (even though I know other people have waited longer). And WHY did it take NINE DAYS to get my order to DHL in the first place?

It sounds like you had a backorder, did you call and ask that?

And the post office is making them use DHL for their media mail shipping. Blame e USPS, DHL stinks, and RR told me they hate it as much as we do.....

That said, in the beginning of summer if I could order over the weekend and have my DHL stuff by Friday in Florida. Only the RR stuff, the DHL from better world books? Still sucked.

I can order from Amazon (Canada) and have it 2 days later, without Prime. I love that my stuff gets here so fast, but Amazon only has so many things. Maybe I'm just used to waiting for packages from the US, but when I placed my order with RR it got here surprisingly fast, and shipping was reasonable considering the weight.

Nobody seems to have free shipping over $__ to Canada, though, so there's been no real reason for me to look elsewhere. (Please correct me if I'm wrong :) )

There was no indication there were any backorders. I got my order confirmation the day I placed my order, and it didn't indicate any backorders.

They never notify you of backorders. They just automatically hold the order for 5 days to see if it comes in, and if it doesn't, they send out the rest of the shipment and then later send out the backordered item. I'm 99% sure that's what has happened to you.

The order confirmation comes as soon as you order, and it doesn't mention backordered items. Their website does not know which items are backordered.

ETA: I must correct myself... RR does send a notice when an item is backordered. I had forgotten about that.

If you phone them 24 hours after you place your order, they can tell you which items are back ordered.

I don't want to have to do this. If it's not in stock, the website should tell me it's not in stock (like Amazon does). I should be able to order and know my stuff is going to come to me. It's fine if people are cool with calling ... but that's just one more reason I don't need to order from them.

I don't want to have to do this. If it's not in stock, the website should tell me it's not in stock (like Amazon does). I should be able to order and know my stuff is going to come to me. It's fine if people are cool with calling ... but that's just one more reason I don't need to order from them.

Their website improved greatly a couple years ago (search feature actually works now!), but unlike Amazon, the website is not tied to their stock system. I do wish they'd upgrade that. If CBD can do it, surely RR can as well (I'm guessing they would be similar sized companies). I don't expect them to be Amazon, but using modern technology is typically a good thing. :)

I've ordered from RR many times, and I've been irritated with the long shipping times before, but not enough to stop. Until now. I ordered almost two weeks ago... nothing. I called them this week to ask if an item was backordered, and they confirmed, but said that it was noted that it would ship on Friday. Nope. I actually messaged them this morning to inquire about canceling the order. I have Amazon Prime, and even though I was going to save a few bucks ordering from RR, it's not worth it. I'd actually like to use the items in the near future. 

I had two backorders this year and never got an email, I knew because I called to ask the day after. I've alo called before ordering and asked... Really, it is nice o talk to people that know their product, are pleasant, and do not make you feel as if you are on a timer! Foe me, they make RR real, and because of that I will stick with them (even if I would prefer stock info).

It is the way it is with them, they tell you of the backorder shipping policy when you order. I would say you probably had one.

Ivenever ordered from CBD, I just use RR and Amazon or the publisher. The great thing is we have choices to fit our needs!

Their website improved greatly a couple years ago (search feature actually works now!), but unlike Amazon, the website is not tied to their stock system. I do wish they'd upgrade that. If CBD can do it, surely RR can as well (I'm guessing they would be similar sized companies). I don't expect them to be Amazon, but using modern technology is typically a good thing. :)

In 2013, it is pretty absurd to not have the website updating quantities in real time.

In 2013, it is pretty absurd to not have the website updating quantities in real time.

While it might be absurd - it is also costly.

Over the years RR has made improvements to their flow - they used to take WEEKS to ship all year. I'm not sure if that was a technology thing on their warehouse side, or if it was just hiring and workflow changes or what, but it worked.

Having worked in a computer room, that ran "outdated" software because it worked very well for us, I can appreciate that the disruption that bringing a new system online might bring. I spent "Y2K" eve in the computer room rolling some systems back date-wise because we had a failure when we brought something up. Trying to do major updates like that in a working environment is tough.

They are one of the few people that I don't mind having this type of ordering - rarely do I need my stuff "right now", and if I do I find their shipping to be fair, and their customer service gals on the phone nice.

AND, if changing would mean increasing prices - um, no thanks!!

My first two orders with RR arrived in five days, however I just got an email from them showing that the shipper was DHL and that the package might take nine days. Ugh, if I had known I would have paid more for faster shipping. I like the company, though. and they seem to have items that amazon does not, so they will continue to get my business. Just no DHL, please!

My first two orders with RR arrived in five days, however I just got an email from them showing that the shipper was DHL and that the package might take nine days. Ugh, if I had known I would have paid more for faster shipping. I like the company, though. and they seem to have items that amazon does not, so they will continue to get my business. Just no DHL, please!

All of their free shipping is DHL unless the order is over $150. DHL is who the post office requires them to use for all of their Media Mail shipping now - they told me they do not have a choice and understand the frustration.

anythingI have decided to pay for antyhing i want in a timely manner.... although I did have two DHL orders from RR (not other places) show up in 5 days. Ordered on Friday/weekend, had it in my hands by the following friday.

While it might be absurd - it is also costly.

Over the years RR has made improvements to their flow - they used to take WEEKS to ship all year. I'm not sure if that was a technology thing on their warehouse side, or if it was just hiring and workflow changes or what, but it worked.

Having worked in a computer room, that ran "outdated" software because it worked very well for us, I can appreciate that the disruption that bringing a new system online might bring. I spent "Y2K" eve in the computer room rolling some systems back date-wise because we had a failure when we brought something up. Trying to do major updates like that in a working environment is tough.

They are one of the few people that I don't mind having this type of ordering - rarely do I need my stuff "right now", and if I do I find their shipping to be fair, and their customer service gals on the phone nice.

AND, if changing would mean increasing prices - um, no thanks!!

Clearly it is costing them at least some customers. I ordered in the middle of winter and it took over a month. I'm not planning to order again.

The solutions which tie inventory managment with online storefront are much cheaper than they were. There are scores of platforms to choose from, many with extensive start up help. While the transition, like any tech transition, comes with costs and hassles it is something that most online retailers are able to do these days, even places much smaller than RR. It also makes certain things easier and more efficient for the retailer.

It is not enough anymore to put a catalogue online, add a shopping cart and be done with it. It is, after all, NOT 1999. If the savings were a lot more, maybe that justifies the bare bones online ordering system and the slow boat shipping but usually we are talking of a pretty small price difference.

Clearly it is costing them at least some customers. I ordered in the middle of winter and it took over a month. I'm not planning to order again.

Did you take the time to let them know that? 

I've had 4-5 orders since late March. I had one really long backorder that perplexed them, but other than that everything has been shipped the next day.

I just personally feel there is a dynamics to their ordering system that "we" don't know. It isn't my business to know - and there are certainly enough choices out there for everyone to find the best one for them.

Some of the items I have ordered this year - the savings totals up to be a substantial savings for me (probably in the $50 range). I can handle it for that!

And heck, I honestly think the funky backorder this year was only my 3rd backorder from them in my 9 years of order from them!

Personally, I haven't found them to be cheaper than Amazon Prime on the things that I have ordered.  I also haven't found CBD to be any quicker.  I prefer Amazon, even if buying from a third party seller or individual vendors.  Of course, I typically scour forums and buy used if possible.  I only order from RR or CBD if I can only find the materials in one of those places, or they are significantly less expensive than other sources.  I see no point in paying $10 to expedite an order if I can find it on another site and pay a little shipping.  I do think that their web-site should state if an item is out of stock so that I can order elsewhere if I need it quickly.  As it is, you don't know until you have already ordered and perhaps waited a few days.  Then you have to call and cancel only to have to order from another vendor. 

That's the thing, though. If they are business like any other, why are there certain times of year we can't order from them if we expect reasonable shipping times? Amazon, CBD, any number of used book websites, and plenty of curriculum-specific sites (such RightStart Math, when I used them) are able to ship in a timely manner whenever you order from them. Why does RR have such unreliable shipping?

This is EXACTLY how I feel.

I fully respect their good intentions in providing a meaningful service to homeschooling families, but the books aren't free. If I am paying for them (just like with any other company) for their service, then I expect my order to be processed efficiently, or I will have to shop elsewhere. It isn't personal. It's business. :(

All I'm going to say is Exodus Books. :P Granted they are essentially local and I can have immediate gratification, but there is some kind of joy I get from ordering from a small homeschool family business. :) Plus, hands down, best customer service and fast shipping.

Amazon prime has more than twice over paid for itself in my house - I ordered some furniture from them that was shipped standard instead of two-day, and Amazon credited back $150 to my credit card for it being delivered on Monday instead of the previous Friday. 

And last week I ordered something else that was also sent standard shipping instead of two day, and I got a credit for $10 on an item that cost $8.95 (although in that case the first customer service rep I spoke to was horrible, and I got the credit when after escalating I proved with a screenshot that the listing I could see and the listing customer service could see were somehow different, and it took about 30 minutes so I'm not sure that was worth it).

And that's not to mention saving the hassles of Christmas and birthday shopping for family members in other states, ordering gluten free items in bulk that I'd have to drive an hour one-way to the closest Whole Foods to get here, and the movies that entertained the kiddos when I had a bad cold last month and didn't want to get out of bed.

Honestly I don't know how they make it financially feasible, it's such a good deal.  (No, I'm not connected to Amazon in any way, I just love Prime).

So my order that was placed late on 8/14, so I count is as 8/15, has still not arrived, nor have I had any notice of back orders.

I tried to call their 888 number only to be told repeatedly that my call cannot be connected. I tried to live chat only to be told that live chat is closed. At this point I am worried something has gone wrong. Who knows if I will get my stuff or my money back or what?

Not ordering from them again. I don't mind if stuff is taking a while, I just want to have some communication. I think they underestimate how much people are willing to forgive if we know what is going on and why the delay occurs. So, while the update of software that keeps track of stock might be expensive, as is one that allows customers to track packages or status of orders, so is losing customers. If I could cancel my order I would. However, I have no way of communicating with them. Part of me wonders if that is why they are not talking to anyone. They know they are not doing a good job so they just turn off the phones and hope for the best. If they talk to us they know some of us will cancel an order.

Ok, I finally got through on live chat, so YAY!

My order that was placed on 8/14 was processed for delivery on 8/23 and will be her via UPS tomorrow. There is one item that is back ordered, and it will be shipped separately.

They didn't email me with any of that info. I had to seek it out myself and it wasn't especially easy.

Ok, I finally got through on live chat, so YAY!

My order that was placed on 8/14 was processed for delivery on 8/23 and will be her via UPS tomorrow. There is one item that is back ordered, and it will be shipped separately.

They didn't email me with any of that info. I had to seek it out myself and it wasn't especially easy.

Same here. Not only did they hold back my full order even though I specifically asked them not to, they never sent a shippng confirmation, and got pissy when i emailed. I think I am rather done.

So my order that was placed late on 8/14, so I count is as 8/15, has still not arrived, nor have I had any notice of back orders.

I tried to call their 888 number only to be told repeatedly that my call cannot be connected. I tried to live chat only to be told that live chat is closed. At this point I am worried something has gone wrong. Who knows if I will get my stuff or my money back or what?

I called them last week as well—their hold system appears to give the message that your call cannot be connected if there aren't any operators currently available to take the call. At that point it rolls you back into the holding pattern, and after a certain amount of time, checks if there's someone available. If there is, they connect you; if not, you get the same non-connection message again and go back into holding.

A poorly designed message. At first I freaked out, but then figured out what it was doing. I did sit on hold for a good long time, which is never fun, but eventually talked to someone.

Erica in OR

I don't want to rub it in, but I placed an order at CBD on Saturday and I got an email today that my order has been shipped. :thumbup1:

Me, too. Plus my order was not held for items that are on back order, and I was made aware that said items were on back order and their expected shipping date BEFORE I clicked the order button. I f I had need of those items quickly, I was well informed so that I could order elsewhere.

Me, too. Plus my order was not held for items that are on back order, and I was made aware that said items were on back order and their expected shipping date BEFORE I clicked the order button. I f I had need of those items quickly, I was well informed so that I could order elsewhere.

I also had an item on back order (I knew about it before I placed the order) and it will be shipped on its own when in a couple weeks.

I placed an order 11 days ago, paid extra for shipping, specified in the comments "Do not wait for backorder" and, well, you can guess what happened. Pity amazon does not seem to have all items they do.

I'd ask for my extra money back, since they didn't do what it says you're paying for.

Understood and totally valid. Slow shipping is the worst!

I can live with the shipping. I order stuff from Amazon and other places all the time and get a lengthy shipping estimate. I get told that up front and I accept that when I order. It has been the lack of communication that has made me annoyed.

If I got notified that they expect packages to be leaving the facilities within 10 days after you place your order then I would have a choice to order or not. If I do choose to place the order (and I might because it might be fine with me) then I won't worry it is lost or someone deleted it and I need to place the order again etc.