Menu

Who makes sushi?

Joker

Both of my dds are in ps this year and they've taken sandwiches every day this week. They really like vegetable sushi but I've never made it myself. I'm thinking of ordering this kit from Amazon.

Do I need a wooden bowl to cool the rice or will something else work?

Do I really need a sushi knife?

Is there anything else that might be helpful?

I have had no luck making sushi rolls, but your link looks promising.

I do make onigiri (just shaping with hands) and I have various sizes and shapes of rice molds like this http://allthingsforsale.com/bento-cup-mold/1239-japanese-bento-rice-mold-1-bite-square--4973430403856.html

We just fill them part way, then add some meat or veg, finish filling with rice and press them. They are very easy to use.

I think the rice sticks together better and has the best texture on the day you make it, but you can try making it the night before and see if it works out.

I make lots of sushi. I was taught by my friend who worked in a sushi restaurant and my SIL who lived in Japan for 20 years.

You don't need a wooden bowl. Any bowl will work.  And yes, you actually want to make the rice ahead of time. I always make the rice a day ahead. My SIL made huge amounts and used it up over the week. She could make the most perfect rice balls by hand. Amazing.

My SIL used sushi to use up leftovers. Any leftovers were fair game for rolls.

I have only ever used a bamboo mat for rolling, and I don't use that anymore. I just do it on a cutting board. No special equipment required. I used a wooden spoon for spreading the rice and I just roll it.  I don't know, but it seems there might be some good youtube videos about how to do it. It is really, really not a big deal.

Oh, water makes the rice not stick. So keep a glass with water handy and when you put your rice spoon or whatever down, put it in a glass of water. That way you don't end up with a knife or spoon with a gigantic rice ball stuck to it.

One of my college roommates and I made sushi every week for a year.  :)  Way back in the 90s.

He was much, much better at rolling than I was - mine always came out on the squishy, loose side - but we didn't have a kit.

We used a bamboo rolling mat.  A regular sharp knife for cutting.  Nothing else was special.  The rice we cooled in a bowl, probably a ceramic bowl.  We made the rice ahead of time, so it would cool.  I don't see why you couldn't do it the night before.

If you like new kitchen toys, the product you linked might be fun.  But not necessary.

Both of my dds are in ps this year and they've taken sandwiches every day this week. They really like vegetable sushi but I've never made it myself. I'm thinking of ordering this kit from Amazon.

Now I know what I am getting my daughter for Chanukah!

That kit looks like a huge waste of money for plastic junk you don't need.

Get a cheap bamboo sushi rolling mat.

A thin sharp knife if very helpful (necessary) for cutting the rolls. If you are stuck in the knife department you can (very lightly) wet the knife blade, which will make the nori earlier to cut. There is a slight penalty for wetting the cut-line of the nori, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

A bamboo rice paddle is a nice item to have (they are cheap) when preparing the sushi rice (with vinegar) but a plain wooden spoon will substitute.

Making rolls is easy, once you get the hang of it. Allow for a few disasters (or less than perfect rolls) in the beginning and you will be fine.

Tips:

Do "crisp" up the nori by waving it over a gas-flame (don't burn yourself).

Don't overfill the rolls when you first start. Less filled rolls are more fool-proof, and you can amp up the fillings as your skill and confidence increases.

Read up on making sushi rice.

It is not hard. Forget the kit IMO.

Bill

This is one of those things that practice makes perfect. I also experimented with the amount of sushi vinegar I need with the rice I buy. I just use my hands even though I do have the bamboo mat. My kids use the sushi mold from Daiso. I prefer overnight rice for sushi.

ETA:

The sushi vinegar have to be stirred in while hot.

This is the mold my kids use. They find it fun. We buy the nori sheets from the Korean supermarkets, and I eat any leftover nori :)

http://www.daisojapan.com/c-141-sushi-sashimi.aspx

What is crisping the nori about? I've never done that.

When a fresh pack of nori is opened it is usually really "crisp," in part because it has one of those (is it silica?) packs inside to absorb any air-borne moisture. When the seal is broken the nori may absorb some moisture from the air (therefore it is important to re-seal unused nori in a locking freezer-bag (or similar) with the "packet."

In any case, moving the nori sheet over an oven gas flame (not too close) on both sides just prior to rolling will maximize the quality of the nori. It is possible to "over-do" this. Nori that is fresh from the pack may not need it, nori than has been poorly stored can often be salvaged, and nori than has been well stored (but opened) is almost always better with a quick pass over the flames.

Bill

The kit you linked to looks like it is designed to be a "gift" rather than actually useful, if you see what I mean.  There are better ways to spend your sushi money.  

You're really just rolling up some stuff into a piece of paper-like nori.  It's not hard.  A cheap rolling mat might be useful, but it is not necessary.  You certainly don't need the strange plastic frame to figure out the amount of rice - just watch some YouTube videos.

A cheap rice cooker would be handy, but not necessary.  They generally come with a rice paddle.  However, you can use a saucepan and a wooden spoon, both of which you probably already have.

You don't need the plastic thing to cut the rolls.  Just hold the roll with one hand and cut with the other.  If you cut the roll in half, then cut each piece in half, then do it again, it will be easy to get the spacing even; this will make 8 pieces.

A nice sharp knife would be useful, but it doesn't have to be sushi-specific.  If you don't have a good chef's knife, put your $34.95 towards one.  (Decent heavy ones are in the $70-$90 range.)

I've found that having fewer kitchen gadgets, of higher quality, is better than having food-specific items.  It keeps my kitchen less cluttered, and I enjoy working with high-quality tools.  

That said, I do have a hankering for a Spam Musubi rice press.  :-)

As a side-note, the edge of the roll is traditionally "sealed" by using a dab of wasabi (Japanese horse-radish). Wasabi is wonderful, but quite pungent (and not always "kid-friendly").

Many years ago, when faced with the predicament of making rolls for wasabi-phobic children I experimented with using a dab of miso instead. Worked brilliantly IMO. Not really traditional (at least as far as I know) but tastes right. One could just moisten the end with water, but it makes the roll soggy (which is not good).

So if you need some paste, and wasabi (the prefered solution) is a no-go, try a tiny dab of miso.

Bill

Ah ok. Good to know if that ever happens.

I tend to purchase nori in larger packs (not sheets of 10) because it is so much more cost efficient. So storing it well, and "toasting" the nori keeps costs down (and quality up).

One can tell the right height for toasting by feeling the minimum point at which the hot air will "float" the sheet of nori. You can "feel it."

Bill

Thanks for all the help and ideas! I think I made it harder in my mind than it probably is. I picked up a bamboo rolling mat for cheap. I will get the ingredients this weekend and give it a trial run before school starts next week. The girls are excited and envisioning themselves having sushi daily. :tongue_smilie: 

AMDG

I make sushi and only have a couple of things to add.

1 -- I wrap my mat with plastic wrap.  I have considered not doing this b/c, well, it's plastic.  It just works so smoothly and clean up is so easy that I haven't tried it without yet.  It really makes it easy.

2 -- Almost every sushi recipe has sugar and quite a lot of it.  I have read over and over again that it is necessary and everyone seems to have a different reason why.  I've asked at our local sushi shops and they all use it and they all have a different reason ranging from rice sticking together better to holding firm better/longer to flavor to 'cause that's what the recipe says or that's how my grandmother did it.  I've made it without sugar and it turns out just fine.  

3 -- I don't know what is traditional but I like COLD rice and ingredients and so does my daughter.  Most of the youtube vids seem to indicate that it needs to be hot but we have found that that isn't so.

4 -- there is a special way to cut the cucumber.  I haven't tried it yet but you might find it worth it to try.  Sushi Train and one of the local mom and pop places are the only ones I've seen preparing the ingredients and they both do it.  You might look that up.

5 -- Yes, if you want to you can make it with brown rice.  I don't like the texture as much but I think if I play around with it some more I'll figure it out.

6 -- If I lived near you I'd be willing to share the expense of some of those ingredients that only come in a huge quantity.  Maybe someone in your neck of the woods would be wiling to do that with you.  I'm thinking of that great big bright yellow root-looking thing that I can't remember the name of.

7 -- If you mess it up you can always make a sushi bowl and that is delish too!

I know several people said that you don't need the fancy bells and whistles and that is true.  However, I think they're fun and if you want the cute kit, get it!  On the other hand, despite what you may have heard, IT REALLY IS NOT HARD TO ROLL!  It might be more fun to buy a cute kit but not the training wheels variety.  You'll catch on quickly and won't need that.  Get the pretty matching set and some rice molds for the fun of it but you will find that you just don't need the hand holding kit for long at all, if ever.  imnsho.

ENJOY!

I use a big serrated knife to slice my nori rolls.  I find it easier than using a regular blade knife.  Plus it doesn't get used much for anything else, so this keeps it from being lonely. :)

The only piece of special equipment I have is a bamboo mat; it cost maybe $2 and has worked great for years.

When I used a mat I also kept it wrapped in plastic wrap. I learned that trick from the friend who worked in a Japanese restaurant. The plastic wrapped mat was very handy when I was learning to make those inside out rolls. If you try those, use a spray bottle and spray some water on the plastic before you spread your rice.

You don't have to use wasabi to seal a roll. You can just use a damp finger. It's not a big deal.  You could also use nothing and it will prob work ok.

The rice is seasoned with a mixture of sugar and rice vinegar. This is to add a very slightly sweet/tangy note. People find a balance that is right for them. Some like sweeter and some like less sweet. I like mine lightly seasoned, but I do like some. If you are going to season the rice it must be done when the rice is steaming hot. You drizzle some on and then stir and fan, drizzle stir and fan, drizzle stir and fan etc.  If you don't season when the rice is hot it won't absorb into the rice. If you aren't going to season, I am not sure there is a reason to stir/fan the rice. And if you are talking to your sister and forget to do anything to the rice and it gets cold you can warm it up in the microwave and then add the seasoning and it's passable. No harm, no foul, I say!

Brown rice is fine, but, white or brown, you really want to use sushi rice or short grain rice. As Alton Brown said, Short is sticky and long is fluffy. Long grain rice won't hold together properly to make sushi. It just doesn't release enough starch. Brown rice might not hold together as well, but it should work fine for rolls. You might want to start with the stickier white until you get the hang of it. I use brown in rolls quite often. If I were attempting rice balls I would only use white. But, my rice balls look demented. My SIL's were a thing of beauty.