Menu

is $12 per entree a good deal?

mrs.m

A local caterer is offering a 10-pack (10 different meals that feed 6) of freezer meals for $120. I don't calculate our meals that way, so I have no idea what I spend per meal (other that I shopped for 7 days and spent so much more than that for unprepared food! But my recipe plan for this week is fabulous!)

I have to decide tonight because she is doing the session tomorrow. The recipe names sound great and we aren't picky!

Sounds like a good deal. Having meals ready to go in the freezer will save you from potentially resorting to fast food on busy nights and it would cost a lot more than $12 to feed your family fast food. 

What kind of stuff is she offering? Nosy minds want to know.

That's a great deal! I pay more at Let's Dish and I have to assemble the ingredients myself. Remember, it's not just the meal . . . it's less time grocery shopping, less time planning/prepping/cooking at home, and fewer dishes to wash. You're not going to beat that. I'm wondering how the caterer is making it worth her while at that price. I'd be in a panic to stock up before they go out of business.

Sounds like a good deal. Having meals ready to go in the freezer will save you from potentially resorting to fast food on busy nights and it would cost a lot more than $12 to feed your family fast food. 

What kind of stuff is she offering? Nosy minds want to know.

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken,

Polynesian Chicken,

Pulled Pork Taco,

Chicken Fajitas,

Savory Pepper Steak,

Scalloped Potatoes & Ham,

Breakfast Casserole,

Shepard's Pie,

Garlic Meatballs,

Cilantro Lime Chicken

:drool5:

I'm guessing I'll need to pick up buns and tortillas. ;)

I really don't think I could do all these for $120.

My menu this week is

Coke BBQ Chicken in the Slow Cooker

PW's Shrimp Tacos

Pork chops (however I decide to season them or maybe grilled)

Beef Penne Pasta Bake

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

Omelets or Pancakes

I spent about $300. Considering there was breakfast and lunch in that budget, it wasn't over the top. I also bought some school supplies and toiletries. But I also had a number of things on hand already such as chicken and shrimp. I'm bad at this type of math! :leaving: 

That's a great deal! I pay more at Let's Dish and I have to assemble the ingredients myself. Remember, it's not just the meal . . . it's less time grocery shopping, less time planning/prepping/cooking at home, and fewer dishes to wash. You're not going to beat that. I'm wondering how the caterer is making it worth her while at that price. I'd be in a panic to stock up before they go out of business.

It seems like she has "parties" that assemble the food.Her facebook page says that they assemble 360 meals in 90 minutes!!! I'm checking to see if I need to go to the assembly party. It's at my friend's workplace and she made it sound like she'll assemble them for me. (but I really want to go since I'm curious!)

And my friend has really great taste. She's used her service before.  

I would check out what they mean by "serving."

Also, compute that salads probably aren't included and what the proportion of meat:veggie:grain is.

I did home delivery meals for a while (it included all three meals and you had to add salads, fruits, etc). I don't remember what I paid but  it was low in protein and high in salt. 

It wasn't a local thing, tho, plus I have insulin resistance syndrome which means I need to eat lots of protein and very little from the grain group to feel well or maintain a decent weight.

I realize you don't have my problems, but I would just make sure it isn't too pasta-oriented. Love of pasta and its ability to stretch the budget  is how I believe I developed insulin resistance.

Sounds like an awesome deal to me! Having it prepared and packaged as a freezer meal for you basically makes it equal to convenience food as far as effort on your part and you certainly can't buy decent quality connivence food that cheaply anywhere else (that I'm aware of). I hope it all works out as expected!

I'd love to find a deal like that. I once went to a place that had all the food chopped up and ready to go. We'd go from station to station packing an aluminum pan full of food for one dinner. We had a total of 7 dinners to take home. I thought it was pretty cool. The price was reasonable considering I would never prepare meals like that on my own. I haven't seen that type of business in years. I wonder if it was a fad that's over now.

I would check out what they mean by "serving."

Also, compute that salads probably aren't included and what the proportion of meat:veggie:grain is.

I did home delivery meals for a while (it included all three meals and you had to add salads, fruits, etc). I don't remember what I paid but  it was low in protein and high in salt. 

It wasn't a local thing, tho, plus I have insulin resistance syndrome which means I need to eat lots of protein and very little from the grain group to feel well or maintain a decent weight.

I realize you don't have my problems, but I would just make sure it isn't too pasta-oriented. Love of pasta and its ability to stretch the budget  is how I believe I developed insulin resistance.

The recipe list that I posted doesn't seem to be heavy on the carbs except a couple potato recipes. I don't mind if a meat serving size is a deck of cards size as we don't need to be eating large quantities anyway.

We're not insulin resistant and seriously doubt that we're headed that direction. DH and I run 3-5 miles 4-5 days per week and take the kids with us on occasion for 1 mile runs.  I need a well balanced diet that includes carbs to sustain my activity level. Low carb never worked well for me. I think my body starts to think it is starving and retains weight and water.