Menu

DD has outgrown inexpensive girls leotards. Where now?

Pegasus

DD13 has outgrown the girls basic black leotards from Walmart. It was good while it lasted! 

I've done a quick search online at Walmart and Target and it doesn't look like they carry leotards in ladies sizes. I would love some suggestions (online or brick-and-mortar stores) that sell reasonably priced dance clothing. I know I'll be paying more than Walmart prices but I'm hoping to not pay at the dance studio store as they seem very high.

Dance classes start Monday. *sigh*  I was reminding DD about her classes starting and then stopped and took a long look at her, realizing that her body has really matured over the summer and that she'd better try on her leotard.  Good thing I did, even though I haven't left myself much time to get a replacement.

Thanks!

do you have a local dance store? They can be pricey though - not sure how it would compare to your studio prices (our studio tends to be cheaper than the dance stores, but less options with sizing and style), but with your time crunch - maybe some second-hand stores, like goodwill or Once Upon a Child? I've scored at Once Upon a Child a few times for dance and sports stuff, but not sure if you'd find as much in the ladies sizes......for next time, when you have more time to order - look at all about dance and discount dance

Other than discount dance, i like all about dance. They're prices are usually the same as DD and AAD has free shipping and free returns.

Make sure you know about all the local dance stores. We have one that is in a small warehouse type space and she has really reasonable prices.

Academy Sports carries a few. I will say though, that I prefer to put a little extra money into the leos that my daughter uses regularly. I have had issues with seams coming undone and fabric getting a hole in it. Granted, she is a competitive gymnast so there is a lot of use but if you are going to spend the money anyways, why not just get a better quality one :)

Look at what the other girls are wearing before you buy a ton.  A wardrobe of basic tanks while everyone else is in a variety of leos with pretty back details would be depressing for some.  If that's all the budget allows, of course, then so be it.  

Sometimes you can find gently used ones on eBay.  Fit is tricky though; my dd has to try on ten or more to find one that fits, so we tend to buy in person.  Some local shops give discounts if they have a relationship with the local studio, which makes in-person shopping as cheap as on-line, once you figure in the shipping.

If you sew, consider making one.  Once you've got a basic pattern that fits, it's easy to whip up more.

Thank you, everyone!   I do have hopes that DD will finish growing soon and will be able to wear her clothes and shoes for a longer period of time.  Then I can see the value in buying higher quality!  I will check out Discount Dance and the other suggested locations.  I think DD can squeeze into her old leotards for the first few classes until we can get her stocked with new ones.