Menu

My Opinion

Mom-ninja.

If you majored in education simply because it meant that you could get free college tuition, and when you are offered a teaching job and you complain and whine about how you will not be teaching "the smart kids" in AP math but instead will be teaching "the dumb kids" in regular math, then you have zero business being a teacher.

That's just my opinion. I'm am forever grateful that my children will never be taught by you.

Some years ago I looked into finishing my teaching degree so I could help kids who really needed it.  (My first three years of college were in education, a looooooong time ago.)  There was a program that allowed student loan forgiveness if you worked for a certain amount of time in a distressed school district.  It was known up front that you weren't going to be dealing with the cream of the crop.  I don't know if that's the case in the OP or not, but I'm thinking probably so.

I ended up not doing the program because it wasn't open to people who already had any Bachelor's degree.  The Master's degree for second-career teachers was extremely expensive, considering how teachers are paid.  I never really understood that.

What a crummy attitude.  Glad she's not teaching my kids, too.

FWIW, a good friend majored in ed, and got a job dodging bullets in a very urban school, teaching what your acquaintance would have called the dumb kids.  She did a great job, got her benefits (I think there was a loan forgiveness program), and she didn't call them the dumb kids.  (Ok, she might have said a few choice words when promising kids got pregnant and dropped out, or when another promising boy got pulled into gang activity, she was frustrated because these were kids with potential!)  She now teaches at a magnet school, and is the director of the gifted program.  :)

Here's the best part. He opened a math tutoring business for after school hours. Um, okay. You think kids are not AP level are "dumb" yet you buy a tutoring business? Because you have such a great attitude?

This same man has made comments to me about how messed up home schooled kids are in math. He knows cause he sees them "all the time in my business." He's also said in the past, "I'd love to get my hands on your son. You know, before he's messed up and learns to hate math." Okay, do you NOT realize that you basically just insulted me because I'm the one teaching him math?

The best part is that he once tried to show my ds a finger/knuckle trick on how to figure out the 9's tables. I cut him off and said I don't teach my kids finger counting math. :lol:

Yeah, I had a public high school teacher tell me how rotten homeschooled kids are at math. 

I was curious how she managed to grade scads and scads of homework for 150 students every day, so I asked her questions about that.

It's been four or five years since this conversation, so I might have the numbers off a bit, but she proceeded to tell me her students did about 10 problems in class, that if a kid held up a paper and showed her the first two or three completed problems and said they were right, they might only have to do another two or three, and usually no one took home any homework.  She then went on to tell me that it was a horrible job, that kids came to her unable to do math, and it was impossible to teach that crowd, and that most of the kids were failing.  

I think she said something about going back to her first field, engineering, and she might have said something about maybe free-lance teaching, since there were so many homeschoolers.  (Whatever she said, I can remember thinking I'd drown in irony if they didn't call me to my appointment soon.)

Could be my bil.  He often knocks off on the kids in his intermediate math class since obviously they won't be going to college.  Oh, and how boring it is; he just goes through it mindlessly.  Now the kids in his upper level math class; they bring him back to life.  But poor abused teacher that he is, he has to put up with those struggling math students that aren't going anywhere.

No way in h*ll would he be teaching my girls, especially my dd that struggles with math.

There are many teachers that care, but how do you, as a parent, make sure that you student gets one of those,  They could end up with my bil.  I wouldn't even let him tutor any of my kids in math.  

there are good teachers and I wish there were more like them.   I've a friend who is a certified math teacher who said in her experience, as a math teacher, the worst math teachers were teaching low level math.  the good ones,  and the ones with seniority, taught higher math.  though that hasn't been the case here in our "really good school district".  some of the worst were teaching upper level math. she also said there are few good geometry teachers as most don't understand it adequately.  I know mine sucked big-time.

and then there are the ones like this. 

I recall one math teacher that had just moved up from the middle school to the high school.  my dd had two or more hours of math homework a night (on top of everything else).   by the end of September when I started calling and "expressing concern", she told me it was because dd couldn't "handle the work" and needed to be in an easier class. dd wanted to major in math.  she had always excelled in math.  turns out she had the HIGHEST math score in that class - and the teacher is telling me she can't handle it and that's why it was taking her so long.  the teacher took "emergency leave' by the first of nov.  the next thing we heard she was back in the middle school (there was implication the "emergency leave" was all about face-saving). they then had a series of subs.  the teacher who came in to take over had to scramble just to get this class to where they were *supposed* to be in the book by that time.  at least he was a decent teacher.

then there was the 1st year math teacher in his third for fourth "career" at age 34 that 1dd had . . . she read the lesson, and ignored everything he said (to her, math is a language and language is a toy).  he stayed a one-year teacher as he wasn't "invited" back.  he was really bad, among other things.

Seriously, I just googled the finger knuckle trick and can't wait to teach it to my kids who are struggling with their times tables! (laughing smile goes here, but for some reason my smilies don't work)

1dd's 4th/5th grade teacher was certified as a high school math teacher. (and was teaching elementary because of budget cuts)   he taught them "finger fractions".  I remember the paper he sent home.

he was a great teacher . . . .

If you majored in education simply because it meant that you could get free college tuition, and when you are offered a teaching job and you complain and whine about how you will not be teaching "the smart kids" in AP math but instead will be teaching "the dumb kids" in regular math, then you have zero business being a teacher.

That's just my opinion. I'm am forever grateful that my children will never be taught by you.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

DS's ps algebra teacher in 8th grade told me flat out he "was not smart enough to be in pre-AP algebra 1."  I had a really hard time controlling my temper because she was the one that taught him pre-algebra in 7th grade so she would have been the one to sign off on him taking a pre-AP class to start with!  

My breaking point with her was the day she told me she KNEW he had an orchestra concert the night before but he still had plenty of time before/after the concert to have completed his homework. I completely lost it on her because he had no time at all to work on it and I sent him to school being fully aware the assignment was not done.