Menu

Washing Machine top loaders only....

MrsMe

I've already decided I don't want a front loader.  I just don't want to deal with the hassles that come with it.  I want to wash my clothes and just be done with it.  I don't want to pour in vinegar, keep them open, wipe seals, etc, or I don't want it to have so many settings and gadgets that I have to drag out the directions everytime I want to use it, which leads me to wonder what you think of those top loaders without the center agitator. 

My neighbor has one and likes it, but for the life of me I can't figure out how clothes move around in it, other than just heaping on the bottom.  I do have to say, washing blankets would be nice without that center piece, but I'm not sold on this type until I understand how it works, or if you like yours.  Frankly I'd prefer my old 1997 Maytag with the big, fat, wide opening, but well....I can't.  Right now, I have a WP, despise it and always have, but it is 12 years old and just waiting for it to leak.   I'm also sick and tired of having my clothes beat to death.  The barrel is long and narrow and sometimes I can't get my clothes out.  It's so vigorous it wraps my clothes into knots, jeans, shirts, etc.  I also want a good gentle cycle.  This one entangles every bra and actually has removed it's padding even when putting them in a bag ON the gentle cycle.  The other gentle cycle is a soak. That's gross.  ACK. 

So with this in mind, what say's the hive on what I want?

I have a Kenmore Elite HE top loader and LOVE it!!! Here's an explanation for how these machines work: http://www.ehow.com/info_12024359_top-loading-washing-machine-agitator-work.html It's really just a front loader flipped on it's side. Only downside is that I'm short and have to really lean into the machine to get stuff out. But since my kids do laundry, there's always a stool. And mine does knot some things. I don't know how you could avoid that? Maybe other brands have figured out the physics to prevent that?

Here's an article about the top-rated Maytag model: http://www.ehow.com/info_7998332_top-loading-washing-machine.html

I have a GE top loader without the agitator column in the middle. When you stack clothes, you do it around the center, against the sides. You don't put anything over the center. I've never had problems with it and our clothes don't look any different from when I did have the washer with the agitator column. They seem clean. I have put in a double/full comforter without a problem. While my queen comforter seemed too big, I did put a queen sized knit blanket in without a problem.

I was afraid of a front loader for the same reasons you listed. I'm happy with what we have.

I have a Fisher Paykel Aquasmart and love it, love it, love it.  There is no center agitator.  Occasionally things may get tangled, but it's not common.  It spins the heck out of everything, so my drying times are better.  I love that it has the option to function as an HE or a conventional washer (i.e. more water) particularly when washing really dirty things (like diapers.)  We've had the washer for 4 years and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I have a speed queen top loader. Every blanket and sleeping bag we own fits (except for a double sleeping bag that doesn't zip apart). Our largest bed is a queen and the comforter fits with no effort or smooshing. It is NOT a super heavy top-of-the-line comforter though.

I LOVE my machine. If you're unsure, just take your biggest blanket along with you when you shop and see how it fits. I've had no issues with the agitator or the gentle cycle and I LOVE that there are no electronic components.

Kenmore elite he top loader here too and absolutely adore it! I do have to stand on my tiptoes to empty it but I love how many clothes I can wash. No issues with cleaning. I will say it seems to take longer per load than my traditional with agitator washer I had prior. However, it spins the clothes so dry, the dry time is amazingly short for such a large load.

I have an LG top loader, no agitator that I profess my love for daily.

I love my LG, too, but I recently received a recall notice about it and now I have to arrange to have an LG repair guy come and make some sort of modification to the machine.

Did you get the notice for your machine? If not, let me know and I'll dig out the letter I got, because I know it included all of the serial numbers that were included in the recall. (The info is probably on the LG website, as well.) I know it wasn't all of the top loaders, so hopefully yours wasn't included in the recall.

I have an LG top loader and love it. I've had it for 2 years. It's wonderful.

My kenmore elite is manufactured by LG and I got the notice and did let them come out to do their repair. They basically changed the spin speed to a lower setting for heavy/bulky/white loads. So now I have to manually up the spinspeed with each load to get them dry enough. It was annoying until I formed the habit to do it.

My kenmore elite is manufactured by LG and I got the notice and did let them come out to do their repair. They basically changed the spin speed to a lower setting for heavy/bulky/white loads. So now I have to manually up the spinspeed with each load to get them dry enough. It was annoying until I formed the habit to do it.

Thanks!

Now I'm wondering if I should "forget" to call for that appointment...

We have a top loader without the agitator. Whirlpool Cabrio. I hate it.

It's much rougher on my clothes. I've got holes in some and towels get thin spots quickly.

When this one dies or I get too annoyed with it, I'm going back to a top loader with an agitator.

Thanks, this is helpful and gives me a place to start looking.   I know clothes can get tangled, but the one I have is ridiculous.  It has taken shirts and put them inside out as well as jeans and shorts.  I've always been amazed my clothes weren't damaged, but then I usually only have casual clothing.  The rest, I put on soak, then agitate it myself...keep coming back in, turning it on, then off...yadda, yadda.  Grrrr I despise that washer. 

We have a top loader without the agitator. Whirlpool Cabrio. I hate it.

It's much rougher on my clothes. I've got holes in some and towels get thin spots quickly.

When this one dies or I get too annoyed with it, I'm going back to a top loader with an agitator.

My initial thought is Whirpool just sucks.  No matter the model it beats everything to death.

I have a GE top loader without the agitator column in the middle. When you stack clothes, you do it around the center, against the sides. You don't put anything over the center. I've never had problems with it and our clothes don't look any different from when I did have the washer with the agitator column. They seem clean. I have put in a double/full comforter without a problem. While my queen comforter seemed too big, I did put a queen sized knit blanket in without a problem.

I was afraid of a front loader for the same reasons you listed. I'm happy with what we have.

I have a GE top loader and I just throw everything in. I don't worry about not puttin stuff in the middle.

Mine is huge, I can wash a king size down comforter.

I am barely 5' tall and I can get everything out of the bottom of my machine. I do have to stretch sometimes.

I've had mine for 9 years.

My sister just got the maytag bravos. It seems very nice. It is slightly taller than my machine, if I had that machine, I would probably need to keep a little stool in the laundry room.

I have a Toploader with the column. My mom has one of the ones without. I think hers is a GE, I'm not sure though. I regularly threatened to steal mom's. You can put a lot more clothes in it, especially bulky items. It still gets things cleaner than my old-fashioned model. Like you, I am totally not sold on front loaders, but when the machine I have now dies I will get a no-agitator model.

I have the Fischer Paykel top loader. LOVE it. My Mom is ordering one for herself. I especially love that I can turn off the water saver feature so that it runs on a regular, tub full of water, wash because IMO and IME, it's the water that gets the cloths clean.

ETA: the clothes, too. ;) not just cloths. Darn iPad keyboard...

We have a top loading Whirlpool machine that was intended to be sold in the USA.  At the end of August it will be 18 1/2 years old. My wife learned how to replace 4 tiny identical pieces of plastic, that seem to wear out  frequently, now that it has seen consideable use. Parts are available.

The Whirlpool was outside, the first 9 years we had it (impossible to get freezing weather here, so there is no chance of water lines freezing).

To my surprise, when I mentioned to my wife, that when this Whirlpool wears out, I hope we can get another old fashioned machine like it, her reply was that she would like to have one of the new technology machines, because they do not have that thing sticking up in the middle. She said that when she washes very heavy loads, that is a PITA, and for that reason, she would like one of the new technology machines.

I doubt one of those would last 18 1/2 years. And, I hope parts for them are available...

Get one with a long warranty on the Control Module. I think here the warranty on that is usually 5  years.  If that goes out and it is not under warranty, you need to buy another machine...  GL

ETA: My SIL bought a Samsung (new technology) washing machine, several months ago. My wife said it is very nice.  We like Samsung products, so I would probably look at those and at Whirlpool, if we were in the market today.

We have a top loading Whirlpool machine that was intended to be sold in the USA.  At the end of August it will be 18 1/2 years old. My wife learned how to replace 4 tiny identical pieces of plastic, that seem to wear out  frequently, now that it has seen consideable use. Parts are available.

The Whirlpool was outside, the first 9 years we had it (impossible to get freezing weather here, so there is no chance of water lines freezing).

To my surprise, when I mentioned to my wife, that when this Whirlpool wears out, I hope we can get another old fashioned machine like it, her reply was that she would like to have one of the new technology machines, because they do not have that thing sticking up in the middle. She said that when she washes very heavy loads, that is a PITA, and for that reason, she would like one of the new technology machines.

I doubt one of those would last 18 1/2 years. And, I hope parts for them are available...

Get one with a long warranty on the Control Module. I think here the warranty on that is usually 5  years.  If that goes out and it is not under warranty, you need to buy another machine...  GL

ETA: My SIL bought a Samsung (new technology) washing machine, several months ago. My wife said it is very nice.  We like Samsung products, so I would probably look at those and at Whirlpool, if we were in the market today.

LOL...I think I know the 4 pieces a plastic you have.  We've replaced those too.  They're in the agitator, am I correct?  At least ours are. 

I do know when I was getting those parts I asked the tech what he recommended as a washer and they said stay clear of front loaders.  The price to fix them is exorbitant. The Whirlpool has served us well, however I just despise that machine.  There's no true gentle cycle and the knots with clothes.  I've never had that before.  And the noise!  Loudest machine I've ever had.  So knowing it's 12 years old, I'm ready to replace it before it leaks all over my house. ;)  I may keep it for a spare in the garage.   I can also agree with the center agitator being a real PITA. ;)

But what you mentioned is a very good point on available parts .  I'm not into hoopla either.  More to me is not better.  Basic is fine, but I do want to get some blankets washed.  With mine being large, but very deep and very narrow, I can't do it.  My Maytag was large but very wide and short.  I was crushed to leave it with a house we sold. Plus the dryer didn't wrap everything in a knot either.  It had some aerator or ?? so my sheets were never twisted.  My current dryer twists everything as well, and  has a lint filter on the top so the top of the machine is constantly full of lint as well.  I just despise it!

Less is more IMO. ;)