Menu

What is the longest you have ever lived in a house?

DawnM

Living in a house  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What is the longest you have ever lived in one house as an ADULT

• 15 years or more
    • 10-15
    • 6-9 years
    • 4-5 years
    • 2-3 years
    • Never more than 2 years
    • Other
  2. 2. What is the longest you lived in one house as a CHILD

• I lived in only one house growing up, all 18 or 18+ years
    • 10-15 years
    • 7-9 years
    • 5-6 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 1-2 years
    • Other
  3. 3. How long do you plan to stay in your current home?

• FOREVER! They will need to cart me out in a pine box
    • We plan to stay as long as we can barring any unknown need to move
    • We plan to move at some point in the undetermined future
    • We have plans to move in the next few years
    • We have plans to move within the next year
    • We are planning to move very soon (months or weeks)
    • No idea

My parents moved into one house when I was 1 and stayed until I was 20. They are going on 14years in the current house.

DH and I lived in 6 places in 9 years because revere renting and then moved states. We have been here 4 years and will stay a few.more. I don't think we will be able to sell for a few years anyway....tornadoflattened half the neighborhood....plus, I really like our neighbors!

I think it varies greatly. People react differently to different situations.

Most of my friends moved a lot (missionary kids) and most of us get antsy if we stay in one place too long.

Wow.  That made me realize that I've lived in this house much longer than I lived in any house as a child.  I'd be curious to see the results correlated.  Like, do people who moved a lot as children also move a lot or are they more settled?  Did people who were settled as a child also become settled as adults or do they move more?

My DH moved a ton as a child and doesn't want that for our children.  He would also like to retire from his current job.  We have put 2 additions on this house, doubling the square footage and are working toward a kitchen/living room remodel.  Once done we will have completely gutted and remodeled this house from the frame up.  :)  We have put in new siding, roof, furnace/AC, windows, drywall, insulation, plumbing, wiring, attached garage, you name it has it's been done over the last ten years.  WIth the current housing market in our area we couldn't move for some time and get our money out of this house so I'm working on getting comfortable with it.

I moved 5 or 6 times as a kid, before finally settling in 1 house. I lived there for 8 years and my mom still lives there.

My husband's in the military so 2 years is my max as an adult. I really dislike moving at this point, but of course moving across the country, to a place of the military's choosing, on their timeline (think next month, Surprise!) has a lot to do with that.

I lived in the same house my whole life until DH and I bought this house when I was 25. I'm now 33.

DH lived in the same house until his parents divorced when he was 10 and then moved around a lot, probably 5-6 places, until he moved in with us when he was 20 (I was 17).

We'd like to move at some point, but I don't know when that will happen. But, we have no desire to move for the sake of moving.

As a child we moved 5 times and lived in 3 different states by the time I was 10. Lived in the that house till I was almost 19, then spent 3 years rotating between my parents house and different friends houses.

Married DH when I was about to turn 22. Between him being in the military and then working for a national company, leases ending and us not being able to stand the property managers we have lived in 5 states and 13 houses in 15 years.

DD is 13, DS is 11. DH and I decided we needed to stay put for their teen years so we bought our current house in January. While I love my house and the pool in the backyard, I HATE where we live. 7 months into the purchase I am trying to figure out a way to get DH a new career and sell this house and get somewhere I want to live before next school year. Don't think it is going to happen.

DS11 asked me the other day if he could live in the same town as DH and me when he grew up. I said of course. His response "it wouldn't be weird if we lived near each other?" Almost broke my heart that he thinks families are supposed to be spread out.

As a kid, I lived in the same house until I was 12 and then, moved to another state for 5 years. During and after college, I moved rather frequently but dh and I bought the house we are in now 13 years ago. Just with this thread did I realize that I have lived here longer than in my childhood home. We have no intention of leaving anytime soon although eventually it will become necessary since our house involves a lot of steps. It has its issues but I love my home now. I have no burning desire to move most of the time.

I recall a friend who had moved often  with military stations.  she started going nuts after being in the same place for longer than usual.  their life had changed, and they weren't military anymore, so they weren't going to be moving frequently.

she found redecorating helped her antsy feelings.

Our current house is the longest (8 years).  We were globe-trotting nomads growing up, and I continued that trend into adulthood.  But, after three moves in 4 four years with two little ones, we decided we wanted to settle somewhere.  So, we bought this house with the idea that it would be the house our kids grew up in, even though we have always planned to sell it when we retire.  As much as we love it, it's way too much house and property for two older folks.

I am so ready to move. We bought this house a little over 4 yrs ago when DD was 1 yr old. It is a one-story 2000sqft. I know in European standards that is HUGE but for us, kids are bumping into each other, the hallway where their bedrooms are is very narrow. My list of complaints is long. I have a few floor plans picked out but they are not being built where we want to live, house needs repairs we cannot afford, no downpayment saved... So we stay. 

Roots.  I move in and plant them deep.  My parents bought the house I grew up in before I was born.  I lived there until I got married.  Dh and I moved into our current home right before our oldest was born and we have been here ever since.

I hate the thought of moving. Change stresses me out. 

If all goes according to plan our next move will be to our retirement home and I will plant myself there until the end.