Menu

Mammogram found an "area of concern": update

Word Nerd

I had my first mammogram recently. The report says there is no suspicion of breast cancer, but there is "an area of concern." My doctor scheduled a follow-up mammogram in 6 months. I know that most mammogram abnormalities are not cancer. I have no family history of breast cancer or cancer in general. In my head I know it's probably nothing, especially since there is no immediate follow-up required, but I still feel like I'm teetering on the edge of freaking out. Any personal experience or sane thoughts to share that might help me remain rational?

_____

1/3/14: I just wanted to update this post, as I had my follow-up mammogram this morning. The "area of concern" has shrunk considerably since the summer, and the radiologist is no longer concerned. Thank you for your support when I was trying not to panic!

A recommended 6 month re-check is probably because they saw a bit of an unusual area and they want to check to make sure nothing changes in the future.  If you had had a mammogram previously they wouldn't need to do the re-check.  They measure one mammogram with another one because there are so many normal variations out there.  If they were really concerned about something they would have you back right away or follow-up with an ultrasound or biopsy.

I have a family history of breast cancer and have had a biopsy, several ultrasounds and mammograms.  The only time I wasn't called back for an immediate check was when the place had a previous recent mammogram (1 year old) on file.  I go back for yearly rechecks now.

If they were concerned, really suspicious, you would not wait six months. I have had three appointments in six months. When they see something upsetting you have an ultrasound immediately. It is scary. But really if there was a problem you would not wait six months for a follow up. I was told my books are really interesting and will always be a problem for a new tech.

My maternal grandmother had breast cancer but that was many, many years ago - before the medical advances. 

It is probably of no concern, but I would repeat that exam in 3 months and not wait 6.  Also, make sure you keep up with self exams in the meantime.

Many times it's a calcification issue.

:grouphug:

My maternal grandmother had breast cancer but that was many, many years ago - before the medical advances. 

It is probably of no concern, but I would repeat that exam in 3 months and not wait 6.  Also, make sure you keep up with self exams in the meantime.

Many times it's a calcification issue.

:grouphug:

I agree with Sheryl...ask if you can have a recheck in 3 months.

Hang in there.

• 5 months later...

That's great news!

My "area of concern" had them call me back two weeks later for another mammogram with ultrasound and then that one had them call me back two weeks later for a core needle biopsy and then that one had them call me back to do a surgical biopsy.  Fortunately, the surgical biopsy gave me the all-clear, but it was pretty scary for a while there.

Mine was also my first.

great update, but still :grouphug:

I had a mammogram and  2 ultrasounds in September for a lump I found.  the verdict was not cancer, but some sort of irregularity.  The idea that there is an irregularity is constantly on my mind. I catch myself feeling the irregularity numerous times every day. It is driving me batty.

Good news!

FWIW, you probably should mention this when you go in for future scans.  I always try to get a particular technician that I know takes this sort of thing seriously, and she will do an extra scan of the area while I'm there for my regular annual one.  Since I started doing that, I never get a call-back.

Good news!

FWIW, you probably should mention this when you go in for future scans. I always try to get a particular technician that I know takes this sort of thing seriously, and she will do an extra scan of the area while I'm there for my regular annual one. Since I started doing that, I never get a call-back.

It was the same tech and radiologist both times and they had my previous scans right in front of them, but I'll definitely mention it in the future.