Menu

Canned mandarin oranges...is there a dessert that would use them?

Julie in CA

I made up a fun summer cake years back using  a yellow cake base and adding some pineapple and mandarin oranges in the mix.  Bake, cool and top with cool whip, then put some mandarin oranges on top of the cool whip for décor.  You can also put pineapple.  If you like coconut and/or pecans, you can add these.  It is tasty for warm weather.

Ambrosia was the first dessert that came to my mind too.

I also vaguely remember having some type of mandarin orange cake when I was a kid.  It was a basic angel food cake with mandarin oranges and some type of gelatin on top. Basic, but quite yummy. 

Frozen fruit salad is another tasty option. Mix 1 block softened cream cheese, 1 tub Cool Whip, and 3-4 cups of fruit. Add chopped nuts if you wish. The original cranberry recipe called for some sugar too, but I bet the oranges would be sweet enough as is. Freeze in a bundt pan or cupcake pan. I like to keep the cupcake ones in a gallon bag for an easy grab and go treat.