Menu

Earring Help for dd7

MissKNG

DD7 got her ears pierced about a month ago. A couple of days ago, she thought the one earring stud was falling out and pushed it together. This morning, I noticed it was red then noticed the earring stud was pushed really far into the ear! Like it is embedded into her ear. She completely freaked out when I touched it. I am looking for some ideas on how to pull it out. I'm freezing some water right now to ice it first. But it's a starter stud so it's harder to pull the backing out. Any ideas for the easiest way to pull the backing out? She tried and could not pull it out. I am going to have her try again after icing because she seems to not freak so much if she is doing it.

I also feel horrible that we had her pierce her ears...I cried.

My advice, give her some advil, wait 20 minutes, and pull it out as quickly as possible. There is painless way to do it and the more you fiddle with it without getting it out the more the earlobe will swell and the harder the task will become and more painful

We actually ordered a tool to take it out. Dd's was not embedded, but it was infected. I hate those starter studs. The place where you got them pierced might have the tool. It was painless and took the back right off.

http://www.amazon.com/Fortay-Jewelry-Products-FJP-001-01-ez-Release/dp/B0068EA4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374589931&sr=8-1&keywords=earring+remover

Update - I gave her some pain relief and Grandma held her and I did it. When I pulled the backing, the earring pulled into her ear so I had to push it out. Blood gushed so after getting a towel from inside (we were outside), my mom told me to go back inside because I thought I was going to pass out. I made it to the hallway...then passed out! I think I was half in and out because I started to dream then heard my small girl crying - she had come in and saw me on the floor and panicked - that's when I realized I was on the floor! Anyhoo, it's done and big girl recovered fast and was playing about 10 minutes later. I'm bummed the earring is out and not going back in but I also feel terrible putting through that unnecessary pain!

Thanks again for the ideas!!

I just got my ears pierced this summer after letting them grow up 20 years ago. They used small piercing hoops on me to avoid issues with the backs. It's a little ring with a small ball that closes the circle. Just information to file away if she tries again in the future. I got my ears pierced at a tattoo place because so many people told me they'd heal faster and the hoops are all they seemed to use there.

I'll bet you $1000 that you will be more traumatized by this event than your daughter. Go easy on yourself.

I just got my ears pierced this summer after letting them grow up 20 years ago. They used small piercing hoops on me to avoid issues with the backs. It's a little ring with a small ball that closes the circle. Just information to file away if she tries again in the future. I got my ears pierced at a tattoo place because so many people told me they'd heal faster and the hoops are all they seemed to use there.

I'll bet you $1000 that you will be more traumatized by this event than your daughter. Go easy on yourself.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. This will be a distant memory in no time and she won't even remember it happening after a while. Something similar happened with my dd (only it was cheap cutesy earrings she was wearing). We stuck regular hoops in her ears (no backs to get infected) and it was fine. She remembers none of it other than what I told her over the years (as a reminder of what not to do).

Don't be so hard on yourself OP! :grouphug:

*hijack alert* Panda, how did you find the tattoo parlor? I know of one around here that isn't in a seedy area, but I'm chicken to go in by myself and I'm not sure what to look for/ask about cleanlines, etc. :coolgleamA:  :bigear:

This happened to my daughter about 6 months after she had her ears pierced, despite taking great care of them. It took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up the infection.

We decided to try and save the piercing, if at all possible, as she knew she'd want them pierced in the future.  I went about bought some gold hoops and she used those until it was clear.  Her earlobes are pretty wide so many stud earrings don't fit well.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. This will be a distant memory in no time and she won't even remember it happening after a while. Something similar happened with my dd (only it was cheap cutesy earrings she was wearing). We stuck regular hoops in her ears (no backs to get infected) and it was fine. She remembers none of it other than what I told her over the years (as a reminder of what not to do).

Don't be so hard on yourself OP! :grouphug:

*hijack alert* Panda, how did you find the tattoo parlor? I know of one around here that isn't in a seedy area, but I'm chicken to go in by myself and I'm not sure what to look for/ask about cleanlines, etc. :coolgleamA: :bigear:

I think all tattoo parlors might be in 'seedy' areas. I have tattooed friends. They sent me to Body FX in Elkridge. If you take a child make sure you have a photo ID AND a birth certificate. It costs more than the mall, but we've been very happy.

If you want to save the piercing go buy some good earrings with large backs (the ones with plastic discs). Coat the post in noes portion and put the earrings in then just turn them daily like you would with a new piercing. They will heal just fine.

Just don't do what my husband did when that same thing happened to our daughter. He took two wrenches, and held the stud part in one wrench and the back part in another wrench, and pulled. His intent of course was to pull the the backing piece off, but instead, he pulled the stud completely through the hole and out the other side. It bled like crazy and was extremely painful, and she had a gigantic bandage over her ear for days. At least he got it out, I guess!

Wildcat, since its summer look around you when you go out for people who have their tattoos peeking out. There are a lot of women like me whose tattoos show easily in a tank top or at the ankle when in skirts/shorts who you wouldn't even know have them. When you see ones you like, ask them if they had it done locally and where. Though there are a couple tattoo parlors in our perfectly nice, clean, middle-class downtown, the one I'd recommend hands down is actually in a less nice (though still not seedy) part of town. But I've never met anyone who was put off by my starting a conversation with "nice tattoo..." Or "nice jewelry..."

I think all tattoo parlors might be in 'seedy' areas. I have tattooed friends. They sent me to Body FX in Elkridge. If you take a child make sure you have a photo ID AND a birth certificate. It costs more than the mall, but we've been very happy.

Oh, it would be for me... I want a cartilage piercing in my ear. I got one back in the fall, but it didn't heal (and started looking bad) so I took it out. I would love to try again, but the 'right way'--- with a needle, not a piercing gun. I also think I need the hoop---- I think my problem was the stud. I apparently have fat ears ( :huh: ), so the stud back was snug on the back of my ear creating the problem. 

Wildcat, since its summer look around you when you go out for people who have their tattoos peeking out. There are a lot of women like me whose tattoos show easily in a tank top or at the ankle when in skirts/shorts who you wouldn't even know have them. When you see ones you like, ask them if they had it done locally and where. Though there are a couple tattoo parlors in our perfectly nice, clean, middle-class downtown, the one I'd recommend hands down is actually in a less nice (though still not seedy) part of town. But I've never met anyone who was put off by my starting a conversation with "nice tattoo..." Or "nice jewelry..."

I thought about this, but the tats I notice are on ladies who are downright SCARY looking! :ohmy:

There is a tattoo parlor in a not-too-bad area that I thought about going into, but I'm not sure what I should look for/ask before letting one of them at my ear with a needle. I just have this image of walking in and seeing big, burly guys giving tats to scary looking people (male or female!) and all of them turning to stare at me. I would feel *SO* out of place!!

OP, how is your dd doing tonight?

Just don't do what my husband did when that same thing happened to our daughter. He took two wrenches, and held the stud part in one wrench and the back part in another wrench, and pulled. His intent of course was to pull the the backing piece off, but instead, he pulled the stud completely through the hole and out the other side. It bled like crazy and was extremely painful, and she had a gigantic bandage over her ear for days. At least he got it out, I guess!

That must have been hard on them both!! :sad:

Almost all places I have been now use single-use needles for piercings, and this is by far the safest way to go. The needle will come in a sealed bag, usually opened right in front of you. And the piercer will be using gloves. If they are using display jewelry for the actual piercing, you will be required to wait while they sterilize it in an autoclave due to the likelihood that someone has handled it with bare hands. These are the things I would look for as my basics anywhere I went, Wildcat.