Menu

How many books did you read in The Great Brain series?

We are just finishing Book 2, and I just ordered book 3. I looked ahead and it seems that most of the other books are not currently in print :( This is sad. I have to say I mostly hate ordering used (yes, I am a freak), but just wondering how many others have read in this series and how many of them do you recommend?

Thanks!

My dd read about 5 or 6 of them and we got them all from the library. THe only one we own is the great brain at the Academy. I think they were all good but it kind of starts to get lame towards the end. me and my little brain was a little different as it was all about the little brother and not about the great brain.

If you are enjoying The Great Brain, you may also enjoy

Brave Buffalo Fighter

Spoiler alert:

BBF is not nearly as lighthearted as the GB series, but I remember that it affected me powerfully as a child.  I read it several times once I discovered it at the library.

Lessons about judging others, compassion for others, and sacrifice are themes of this book.  I could weep thinking about it.

If you are enjoying The Great Brain, you may also enjoy

Brave Buffalo Fighter

Spoiler alert:

BBF is not nearly as lighthearted as the GB series, but I remember that it affected me powerfully as a child.  I read it several times once I discovered it at the library.

Lessons about judging others, compassion for others, and sacrifice are themes of this book.  I could weep thinking about it.

Thanks for this recommendation!

I am reading the series to my boys right now. We are just starting book 5. I read the series multiple times as a kid and loved it. My boys are really enjoying it too. One of the books is about to fall apart, and I was sad that it is now out of print so I would have to get used. Another by the same author that is also out of print, but well worth the read is "Papa Married a Mormon". I broke down and bought it used a number of years ago and am glad that I did.

Well, we just finished reading the last chapter in book 2, and now my kids are sleeping together because they're scared. It was titled "The Ghost of Silverlode".

I really should have known better than to read a chapter like that at night.

I think we stopped after maybe the fourth book?  I know we read through the academy one (that was always one of my favorites).  But my kids were just burnt out on historical fiction at the time and we may pick them back up.  I read them all as a kid and can say they're all good.  The last one I sort of remember has a slightly more grown up feel because the Great Brain starts liking girls and thinking about things other than money by the end.

We are just finishing Book 2, and I just ordered book 3. I looked ahead and it seems that most of the other books are not currently in print :( This is sad. I have to say I mostly hate ordering used (yes, I am a freak), but just wondering how many others have read in this series and how many of them do you recommend?

Thanks!

My ds loved the Great Brain so much that my dh found the entire series used on Amazon and paid a lot for it. They were in decent shape, but definitely old. Eventually he was able to even get ahold of the unfinished one that was published posthumously, and so my ds has now read every. single. one...many times. He loves the Great Brain.

Thanks!

Every single one I could find. I loved them as a kid and still love them as I'm rereading

Our library had them

Every single one I could find. I loved them as a kid and still love them as I'm rereading

Our library had them

I'm just sad I can't buy them to also keep for my kids when they have kids of their own. I find it so sad when great books go out of print :( Even used paperbook prices are outrageous for these books!

I'm just sad I can't buy them to also keep for my kids when they have kids of their own. I find it so sad when great books go out of print :( Even used paperbook prices are outrageous for these books!

It looks like the first three are in print.  And the prices for the others are a little high for used books, but all less than $20 used.  It's not horrible.  I know you don't like used books, but really, they're usually fine.  :)

It looks like the first three are in print.  And the prices for the others are a little high for used books, but all less than $20 used.  It's not horrible.  I know you don't like used books, but really, they're usually fine.   :)

Yep, we have the first three now! I have bought a few used books. I don't know why I'm such a freak about such things. It's weird.