Menu

Just for fun, for pet lovers: strange/funny pet behaviors...

Halftime Hope

this isn't a thread for pathological or illness-prompted behaviors, just for funny, quirky things your pets do that are endearing or amusing for your family.

I could write several paragraphs, but I'll spare you and keep it to one per pet.

- My Yorkie is a "blanket baby," loves fleece blankets and generally makes himself a nest.  (One of) the strange things he does is that he'll come from somewhere else into the living room, run, picking up speed, and throw himself onto the dog bed, then roll joyously back and forth on his fleece blanket.  It's exactly like watching a kid run and do a belly-flop into a pool. 

- We have a mini-Schnauzer (rescued) who will "hold conversations" with family members.  She is *very* mouthy and will not let you have the last word.  If you scold her, she will bark right  back at you, unless she's ashamed of something she's done.  But if she's barking and you tell her to be quiet, I guarantee she will not take it silently.  When I'm in the kitchen making a salad for dh's lunch, she knows I'll give her carrots, so she'll come in and "grumble" to announce her presence and let me know she's ready.  As though....

Worth their weight in entertainment value...

One of my cavaliers will pull the feeding bowl toward him and lay down with his face resting on it. I guess he's telling me he's hungry.

The same one likes to put himself in the most awkward places in the kitchen. And.He.Won't Move. Need to open the dishwasher, feel free, he'll be under the door. Need to open the oven, ok, he'll be under the door. Need to open the cabinet drawer for a pot, have at it, but you need to go around, thank you very much. You want to get in the refrigerator. Too bad. We have to physically remove this dog. All the time. But it is cute. :001_smile:

oh my gosh.  we have 2 jack russells so there are many stories to tell. My younger one LOVES (i can't even begin to tell you how much she loves) to chase rocks.  We board our two horses and at the barn there is a small hill that has alot of rocks on it.  We will get to the barn (the two dogs come with us almost every single time) and this JRT will jump out of the car and run directly to "her hill".  She will sit there for hours, not even kidding you, she will sit there for hours waiting for someone (and there is always someone who will) to throw her a rock.  I am always having to say....sweetheart, i do NOT want to play rock with you now.  She is known as the rock dog and get this...she will pick up bricks or realllyyy big rocks and bring them to you.  My older JRT will sit there for literally an hour and lick my leg.  Gross?  yes.  but i have the softest leg skin in town and i hardly ever have to shave!!!  True story! 

I have to add just one more...i can't help it!  So the older JRT loves shadows.  We will make a shadow on the grass with the cell phone and she will dig at it.  The other one (who is smaller) will stand in back of her and grab the flinging grass in her mouth.  They will do this for as long as we let them and everyone who watches them pretty much pees their pants.  It is so FREAKING funny to watch!  I could go on as they provide endless entertainment every.single.day but i don't want to bore you guys too much!

My kitten loves to hide inside or underneath things and then jump out to scare you. She wont even touch you half the time she just likes to leap out and get you to scream and then she'll run off to hide again or lay on her back so you can rub her belly. She's a wild thing that's for sure :P

Some of these posts disappeared. Weird.

I don't think so...I think it's that there are two of these threads, since I posted dups by mistake.  I didn't have the heart to take down the second one (this one) since someone had posted a cute story under it already.

Check to see if the missing posts are on the other one. ??

My sweet Benny - a 1-y-o black cat - fetches a penguin finger puppet named Pengy. I grew up with black Labs, so I wanted to train him to be my little Lab. I treid to teach him to fetch, but it didn't seem to take. He started doing it on his own about 4 months later. I tell him to sit, throw his Pengy, and say, "Back!" and away he goes. My dad is astonished. His response when I asked him how to get Benny to fetch? "Get a Lab."

Bennyalso comes to me when I call, "To me!" He's a tiny Stark direwolf in my mind! ;)

My Cairn Terrier plays fetch with herself. She'll get her favorite toy and jump up on the chair, toss the toy with her mouth, jump down and get it, and do it all again. 

My tabby Murray will poke my face with his paw in the mornings, as if to say, "You up yet? You up yet? You up yet?"

My black cat Nigel likes to hang out in the bathroom sink. 

My gray cat Velvet will sit primly on the counter by the sink and meow plaintively, asking, I assume, for a drink. LOL

Our youngest cat is rediculously frightened by, well, oh, everything. She has three hiding spots: under our bed, in the corner of our closet and under the glass kitchen table. Yes, she's safe there, we can't see her at all!

TechWife, we have the plumber come to our house twice a year to turn off and turn on the outside water. He does not come in the house, he goes under the crawl space. Our cat, Rocky, each time would hide under the sofa, but all that would fit was his head and top half. His butt and tail would be sticking out. We used to say "Great hiding, Rocky, no one will ever find you" lol