Menu

This year, in lieu of binders...

I cut apart some pocket folders and used my proclick to bind!

The folders act as their cover for their student pages. They are shorter, so they can stand up on my shorter bookshelf (binders have to lay flat and looked messier). My kids got to pick them, which makes it more personal. It also makes them easy to differentiate.

9220670970_ccc397508c.jpg

And there is still a pocket in front for loose papers!

9220666992_3e59c5cd54.jpg

I'm so excited about these! :)

I've done that for the past couple of years. Poly folders can be reused again & again, but the paper "pee chee" type work too. I use a large paper cutter to cut off the fold (making the folder about 9" wide) and then cut off the top to make it about 11.5" tall so it will fit in my Pro-Click. It looks like you cut yours to 8.5" x 11" - do you find the edges of the papers get bent, or is it better that way then making a larger cover?

I've done that for the past couple of years. Poly folders can be reused again & again, but the paper "pee chee" type work too. I use a large paper cutter to cut off the fold (making the folder about 9" wide) and then cut off the top to make it about 11.5" tall so it will fit in my Pro-Click. It looks like you cut yours to 8.5" x 11" - do you find the edges of the papers get bent, or is it better that way then making a larger cover?

You should've shared earlier! :)

I actually only cut off enough so it'd fit in my proclick too. I guess it just appears to be 8.5x11, but they're definitely bigger.

Though, last year we used card stock for covers and that worked okay. The papers stayed fairly nice on the edges...mostly because they were only going back on the shelf, not being carried around in book bags.

Ok, besides the whole folder thing, you've got me wondering why I haven't done this woth our SOTW pages before! I just print what we need and keep them in a folder to pull out when we need them. Having it already to go like this would make it so much easier!

I had our HOD BIgger notebook pages  I printed from the loop files spiral bound. It is really nice to have it ready to go when we need it. But I made a cover and laminated it. I REALLY like your folder idea! I think this would work well with something like a journal too. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome idea. I just got finished binding my kids' Math Mammoth pages. Wish I had thought of this myself. Thanks for sharing. I still have stuff to bind--just bought some spiral spines last night...Can't wait to do this with your idea. Thanks!

*Adds ProClick to Wishlist*

That is so awesome! I bought a comb binder a few months ago...I had no idea that a there was an inexpensive coil binding option available!

I adore my comb-binder!!

* the books lie completely flat if we want them to.

*the books fold over into one layer if we want them to, just like being spiral bound, and lie completely flat.

*they zip right open to any page I need them to if I need to add pages for some reason, and close right back up again.

*the spines can be cut down to any size with a pair of scissors, to make any height book.

*my $60 Fellowes comb-binder can bind anything up to 150 pages and punch up to 12 pages at a time, making pretty fast work of even fairly large books

*the nice stiff spines mean the books stand up nicely on a shelf

*So far the durability has been great.  For really long-lasting books (like Lively Latin) I will laminate the covers before punching.  My kids were death on 3-ring binders, but we have yet to have a comb-bound book come apart.

*I can stick a label on the spine of a comb-bound book.

I price-shopped the comb-binder and its capabilities vs the pro-click of the same price and said, eh, why would I buy a pro-click?  I've been very happy.

I love the folder as a cover idea though-- that is awesome!

Just a couple of days ago I came up with an awesome way to add a spine on the outside that you can label to the spiral bound books. It took a while because I wanted to make sure you could still open them and fold them back all the way. That was my main problem with the spiral binding, them all looking the same on the shelf. I will try to take some pictures and write up a tutorial, haven't gotten all the kinks worked out yet but so far it I love it! They look so nice and organized.

I adore my comb-binder!!

*the books fold over into one layer if we want them to, just like being spiral bound, and lie completely flat.

*they zip right open to any page I need them to if I need to add pages for some reason, and close right back up again.

*the spines can be cut down to any size with a pair of scissors, to make any height book.

*my $60 Fellowes comb-binder can bind anything up to 150 pages and punch up to 12 pages at a time, making pretty fast work of even fairly large books

*So far the durability has been great.  For really long-lasting books (like Lively Latin) I will laminate the covers before punching.  My kids were death on 3-ring binders, but we have yet to have a comb-bound book come apart.

I price-shopped the comb-binder and its capabilities vs the pro-click of the same price and said, eh, why would I buy a pro-click?  I've been very happy.

I haven't looked into these but your post got me wishing! :-) I love the idea of being able to add pages. Which comb-binder did you get? I see a couple Fellowes on Amazon around $60. Thanks

I adore my comb-binder!!

*So far the durability has been great. For really long-lasting books (like Lively Latin) I will laminate the covers before punching. My kids were death on 3-ring binders, but we have yet to have a comb-bound book come apart.

I price-shopped the comb-binder and its capabilities vs the pro-click of the same price and said, eh, why would I buy a pro-click? I've been very happy.

You are going to have to link for us. All the comb binders I've seen do not fold over to lay flat, nor do they have the ability to open to any spot to add pages. That's the major thing for me, it is such a pain to add pages to my comb-bound books, it's the whole reason I want a proclick. But I also don't get how it can fold back on itself and still lie flat? If the spine is wide enough to put a label on it seems the spine would be too thick for this.

Maybe we need pics too! ;)

I haven't looked into these but your post got me wishing! :-) I love the idea of being able to add pages. Which comb-binder did you get? I see a couple Fellowes on Amazon around $60. Thanks

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Manual-Binding-Machine-5006501/dp/B008WJYMTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373163291&sr=8-1&keywords=fellows+comb+binding+machine

You are going to have to link for us. All the comb binders I've seen do not fold over to lay flat, nor do they have the ability to open to any spot to add pages. That's the major thing for me, it is such a pain to add pages to my comb-bound books, it's the whole reason I want a proclick. But I also don't get how it can fold back on itself and still lie flat? If the spine is wide enough to put a label on it seems the spine would be too thick for this.

Maybe we need pics too! ;)

Just pick the correct size spine for the number of pages you are using! I linked the one I have in another post in this thread; in the drawer is a guide that let's you measure your stack of pages against the different comb sizes so you can tell in a sec, even if you lost the boxes (the boxes also tell you how many pages are good for a particular spine). If you avoid using a spine too large, the book easily lies flat when folded over.

Just pick the correct size spine for the number of pages you are using! I linked the one I have in another post in this thread; in the drawer is a guide that let's you measure your stack of pages against the different comb sizes so you can tell in a sec, even if you lost the boxes (the boxes also tell you how many pages are good for a particular spine). If you avoid using a spine too large, the book easily lies flat when folded over.

Ok, so I just went and tried a bunch of my comb-bound books and some of them lie nearly flat, others don't. I can see how the size of the comb affects it.

But how do you easily zip it open to add a page? I find that a huge pain. I have a planner with multiple sections, I need to add pages to it in several of the sections and haven't done it because it is such a pain with the comb binding. That's why I am wondering if yours is somehow different, but it looks like a regular comb binder from the link.