Menu

Downsizing history

Quiver0f10

Has anyone here simply read from a spine, added in some good literature, maybe some narrations & summaries and maybe some map work along the way and that's it for history? I have TOG bought, scheduled and ready to go, but the more I look at it, the more overwhelmed and nervous I get. It looks like a wonderful program, but I think I want something lighter. I'd love to follow something sort of like Ambleside, but the thought of pulling it together with multiple kids makes my eyes twitch LOL. I read LCC a while back and am hoping to reread it. Maybe that's what I am looking for? I don't know what I want :confused: I think I am an unschooler at heart.

We are doing sonlight this year, but at our pace not theirs.

In

I think that it would be just find for you to do history that way. Just because you are not adding everything under the sun, doesn't mean your child won't walk away with just as much info. So, I say go for it.

Just use TOG lighter, I know you have more kids to use it with but I read a core, do the geography thread, SAP and read either a supplement book or a longer read aloud and call it done. What about your olders? Didn't you in part buy it mostly for them, for the discussions and questions?

My high schoolers are using text books and my 13 yo on down will be using TOG. I just feel, I don't know, guilty? for not using TOG as is. Maybe I am just having cold feet LOL

My high schoolers are using text books and my 13 yo on down will be using TOG. I just feel, I don't know, guilty? for not using TOG as is. Maybe I am just having cold feet LOL

Don't feel guilty, Jean.

We used TOG very lightly last year. My dc were 7th, 7th, 5th, and 1st at the time. Make it work for your family. Next go-thru, when your dc are older, you can add in a few more of their offerings. It will really be OK.

Now, it has zippo commentary! I mean zero! There are NOT discussion questions or background info at all. However, we do history aloud together. It is basically a $30 schedule that plots out the WTM by age group. It is scheduled for three days a week. We are not doing their suggested readers/read-alouds but following suggestions in the WTM. It does schedule a family read-aloud as well as readers for three different age groups. What time period are you doing next year? Their year 1 (ancients) incorporates lots of bible, too. We are using year two the three days per week as they have scheduled and then on Thursdays reading three lessons from MOH, doing a map, and our timeline. I think it is going to be the right balance for us.

Now, it has zippo commentary! I mean zero! There are NOT discussion questions or background info at all. However, we do history aloud together. It is basically a $30 schedule that plots out the WTM by age group. It is scheduled for three days a week. We are not doing their suggested readers/read-alouds but following suggestions in the WTM. It does schedule a family read-aloud as well as readers for three different age groups. What time period are you doing next year? Their year 1 (ancients) incorporates lots of bible, too. We are using year two the three days per week as they have scheduled and then on Thursdays reading three lessons from MOH, doing a map, and our timeline. I think it is going to be the right balance for us.

I did look at the samples the other day and it looks like a nice program and I probably have the majority of the books, too. We are doing Ancients this year and I need to make some sort of descision soon as we start the 25th LOL! I think I am seriously having last minute jitters. We have such a full schedule this year :eek:

My intention for the upcoming year:

Have a spine (might be Usborne internet linked + my college textbook, which is quite readable), add in historical literature, watch some relevant films and do a timeline. We might do a bit of mapwork....

I would like to do a small unit on histiography at the beginning of the year.

So you are in good company!

Kathy

Has anyone here simply read from a spine, added in some good literature, maybe some narrations & summaries and maybe some map work along the way and that's it for history?

SOTW & AG with discussion questions/narrations and map work - don't want to discuss or listen to narrations then add SOTW tests and use them as workbooks; add some literature from TWTM list and you're done.

It sounds just like what I do with Story of the World. I plan during the summer for it so that when we approach the next chapter, I can get the extra books I want to use from the library.

We only do the mapping (which I think is fabulous!) and the coloring pages (the boys color while I read).

It's really quite simple. I even have reading lists typed up for SOTW Volumes 1 and 2 if you want them. (they're on my blog)

I just feel, I don't know, guilty? for not using TOG as is.

If you use it, don't feel guilty for not doing everything. Part of the weekly planning is deciding which reading and activities to do and which to skip. You're not supposed to do everything that is suggested! :001_smile:

OK, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you buy and sell it last year and then get it again for this year? :001_smile: There is something in it that keeps drawing you back to it. So, I would give it a try and feel free to just do TOG-lite. There isn't anything wrong with that! No need for guilt. I think the main thing is to choose what you want them to do and stick to that rather than trying to do to much and feeling guilty because you didn't get to it.

But, on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with selling it and doing something else if you feel lead that way! I've certainly never bought anything and sold it twice :001_huh: (Classical Writing)

Good luck in your plans, but I think you oughta give it a try!

Has anyone here simply read from a spine, added in some good literature, maybe some narrations & summaries and maybe some map work along the way and that's it for history?

This sounds pretty much like what we do for history. We have a spine and a read-aloud or biography for our time period, then the kids have own reading at their own level to correlate with the time period. We write narrations, summaries, draw pictures and do some map work. It's great, works well, everyone learns (including me :thumbup1:). We use some of the suggestions from AO ('cause they're great!) but keep together in the same time period - makes for good conversation and discussions.

Has anyone here simply read from a spine, added in some good literature, maybe some narrations & summaries and maybe some map work along the way and that's it for history? I have TOG bought, scheduled and ready to go, but the more I look at it, the more overwhelmed and nervous I get. It looks like a wonderful program, but I think I want something lighter. I'd love to follow something sort of like Ambleside, but the thought of pulling it together with multiple kids makes my eyes twitch LOL. I read LCC a while back and am hoping to reread it. Maybe that's what I am looking for? I don't know what I want :confused: I think I am an unschooler at heart.

That is a *fine* way to do history. That's basically the way we've done it for years, generally using Story of the World.

OK, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you buy and sell it last year and then get it again for this year?

LOL yes! :blush: I do want to like TOG, I just get overwhelmed with the planning and the actual using it. I think we will try TOG lite and see how it goes. Maybe after a few months it will click and we will love it.

LOL yes! :blush: I do want to like TOG, I just get overwhelmed with the planning and the actual using it. I think we will try TOG lite and see how it goes. Maybe after a few months it will click and we will love it.

I hope it works for you! I think if you decide ahead of time what you want to do it will be easier. One thing about TOG is that I find when I don't plan ahead, it is easy to do very little or nothing with it. So, I have tried to be dilligent in planning ahead so that it gets done. For me, it is easier to plan a unit at a time rather than trying to do it week to week.

We have always done history like you are saying, and now we are doing Ambleside, and it's like that. We read a spine, one or two other books, do some maps, outlines, oral narrations and writing assignments- varied. We discuss. LCC inspired me to keep my priorities clear and simple and gave me some good ideas.

I don't want to be a slave to anyone else's curriculum or structure- I take what works and ditch the rest. I make everything my own. I have never used TOG- looks overwhelming to me, but then so does having 10 kids, :) so maybe it's a solution to being able to meet everyone's needs. Why don't you just tweak it and do it lightly and don't feel guilty?

I hope it works for you! I think if you decide ahead of time what you want to do it will be easier. One thing about TOG is that I find when I don't plan ahead, it is easy to do very little or nothing with it. So, I have tried to be dilligent in planning ahead so that it gets done. For me, it is easier to plan a unit at a time rather than trying to do it week to week.

I will keep that in mind. Right now I have the first 9 weeks mapped out and will try to do the next 9 before we finish with them. Thanks!

and if I remember correctly, SWB recommends doing history exactly as you described!! We only bought one unit of TOG, as I was reluctant to buy a whole year until I could try it out. We don't even start school until next week, but I am already feeling like we will go a simpler route after we finish off our TOG unit. I will probably just finish off SOTW with them, using the readings in the act. guide from KF and lit books for my oldest (7th grade). I have also been looking at the Veritas Press cards, but they don't schedule SOTW and I want to finish that series out. You are not alone!! I think my new motto is going to be keep it simple, at least until we get past the toddler years!

I had already decided on Ambleside (bought books and everything) when I almost switched to TOG. I finally decided to stick with what I already decided on. I'm now over it and am happy with our decision. I do, however, reserve the right to switch to TOG for next year. :)

I think you should stay with your original decision of TOG.

Good luck on whatever choice you make Jean.

I just had to add I also feel overwhelmed at curriculum's that have so many books choices.

I used MFW this year and the book basket drove me nuts. I felt that if I did not choose many of the books from it for each week we were not doing enough, and felt overwhelmed trying to decide which ones we should read. If you are the type of person who can do the spine and a few read alouds and not worry on all the extras it is great. Why do I stress over not doing enough??? Must be how I am hardwired. :willy_nilly:

Ha, the year before I combined SOTW/with activity guide with MOH. What a disaster with all the book list. Enough for a complete nervous breakdown!!!:lol:

We are trying Sonlight this year because they have the main spines and the book choices already made for me. Will it work??? I have no clue!!! I have also thought of Ambleside because the book list does not seem to overwhelm me, I think it is very doable.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in the stress of trying to find that perfect fit.

Good luck

Now, I have no personal experience with TOG, except for ordering their free sample and chatting for ten minutes with the TOG follow-up representative on the phone, but I'm pretty sure you're SUPPOSED to do TOG "lite"! My impression from reading their website and reading about it on the boards is that it's designed to give you a ton of choices, but you're not SUPPOSED to use all of them. Their rep confirmed that when I asked her--she said a lot of homeschoolers suffer from the false notion that they should do everything, but the idea is that you do ONLY what works for you.

So, in a sense, by scaling TOG back, you're not really doing it "lite"--you're using it "full strength", the way it was designed to be used.

Susan

As for TOG and feeling overwhelmed...

I felt this way to when it first arrived, even as we have worked through the first week. But I find the more I use TOG and its components and the more times I read through the information the less overwhelmed I am. It begins to make sense and fall into place. I'm beginning to think that once I am over that hump and understand how the pieces fit all will be well. It seems a bigger learning curve for the teacher than some other programs but I believe it will pay off in the end.

I'm also a tinkerer so...I'd feel free (and do) adjust the program as necessary to our time and needs. The only caveat I would give is that if you are using any of the evaluation methods be sure you have covered the material enough for the dc to have answers otherwise adjust your evaluation method accordingly.

Hi Jean,

I don't put a big emphasis on history which is one of the main reasons why I can't get excited enough about TOG to actually buy the program. There are so many great things about TOG, and I'm tempted every year to buy it, but in the end, I think I would either modify it or not use it at all; therefore, I can't justify the expense.

We are more grammar intensive and history-lite around here (at least for the grammar and logic stages), which works well for our homeschool.

Good luck in your decision!

Jean, that is precisely how we have done history from the start! It has worked well for us. I am trying to be more disciplined to use the classical 3-year rotation and to keep repeating it w/ more advanced literature resources. We are also viewing some of the geographical locations in their modern day light just to add more of an interest.

Blessings,

Camy

This is why I love Winter Promise's Quest for the Ancient World--it uses Mystery of History as the spine and schedules in literature, mapping and activities. I splice in Truthquest commentary for the time period.

For some weeks I add in extra resources just for fun but when I don't have time I just stick to the teacher's guide.

I used WP for the first time last year and it was the first time I felt I had a handle on history. And the kids LOVED it!

Thank you all :grouphug: I am glad that I am not the only one feeling overhwlemed. As of today I am planning on sticking with TOG ( of course this is subject to change lol). As someone pointed out, I have bought it and sold it twice and keep being drawn to it. I am going to rest in my descision to use it this year and tweak as needed.

Ironically, although we've always done the read/discuss and occasionally narrate approach, and it's worked well, we're trying TOG this year.

I loved it when my kids were little, and we all did SoTW, and everyone was on the same page. Last year my oldest was too old to do SOTW again, and although he did the same year that we did, we just felt ... disconnected. I felt we didn't learn as much, and it wasn't as connected.

Now, we do LCC pretty much, and I do NOT want to get carried away with history. It must stay in its place. But I've been seduced by the way TOG ties all the levels together into a discussion, and with their really awesome questions for the Dialectic stage. So we're trying it, in the hopes that I'll get more of that "connected" feeling back. I just have to work to keep it simple, and not get carried away by trying to do the whole TOG "thing."

We'll see. I'm only committed to one unit, so far.

This is mostly what I'm doing. I have my history spine that I choose to read aloud to my children while they complete an outline, do map/globe work, answer comprehension questions, and then then read an assigned piece of literature. My oldest (12) will get more original source work, practice with reports, and practice with speeches. I will occasionally add in some other activity (ie: cooking project). Really, it's not so different from the history plan outlined in TWTM.

I haven't read the other posts. Forgive me if I repeated someone or if you've already found your path...

Yep, that's our approach in a nutshell. We used SOTW 1 last year - read from SOTW and supplemental books, did coloring pages and maps, and a few hands-on projects. I never felt the need to do a project every week. This year we're using History Odyssey/SOTW 2 and I plan to follow the same approach.