Menu

Please, please suggest some movies for my teen son

msjones

We need some movie ideas for our plane trips. My son wants James Bond and X-Men and other films that we consider too sexual and/or too violent for a 13 year-old.

Can you suggest some movies that are exciting but not blatantly pushing the PG-13 rating?

We've seen all the Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, and LOTR movies.

Help?

SpiderMan, the Toby Maguire, ones, Thor, Captian America, The Avengers, Star Trek movies , the orginals {"KHAN!!!!!"} and Next Generations except the last NXGen. Not the new one because there is a 'bedroom' scene. Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, Pirates of the Caribien (cannot spell that): Search for the Black Pearl only, Star Wars (of course), Sherlock Holmes, maybe?, ummm....Harry Potter? National Treasure, Night at the Museum?

SpiderMan, the Toby Maguire, ones, Thor, Captian America, The Avengers, Star Trek movies , the orginals {"KHAN!!!!!"} and Next Generations except the last NXGen. Not the new one because there is a 'bedroom' scene. Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, Pirates of the Caribien (cannot spell that): Search for the Black Pearl only, Star Wars (of course), Sherlock Holmes, maybe?, ummm....Harry Potter? National Treasure, Night at the Museum?

Given the OPs request, I'd drop Avengers, Pirates, and Star Wars Return of the Jedi. Some parts of Thor is pushing it by her limits, she mentioned seeing LOTR & HP.

I think the original Star Wars Movies with the original cast (Will Shatner, Nichelle Nicols, James Doonan, George Takei, etc) is a good choice. Maybe some of the Indiana Jones movies? (like 1, 3, and 4?) Goonies is fun, but I dunno about language for that age. My kids like Short Circuit and War Games (but they aren't near 13 and I think we are way more lax than the OP.)

What interests your child?

My teen sons were surprised to find they enjoyed The Adventures of Tintin. Surprised because it's animated and they fully expected it to be too "little kid," but there was enough adventure story there for them to like. It's PG, one character is a drunk, there is mild language--just a few instances, not ongoing.

Return of the Jedi is too explicit? And Temple of Doom? O.o

I don't know why ToD was left out by the person who posted it, but I won't watch it. it was a gross fest, and the few moments it had were too few and far between to make up for the "banquet" scene. (or the "roller coaster" ride.)

I guess for RotJ the pp didn't like carrie fishers slave outfit. that's the only thing I can think of. she didn't like it much either.

okay - brain freeze . . . .

here goes (again). here are some older ones that my boys enjoyed at that age.

My boys, at that age, really enjoyed 1776. it still gets quoted.

free willy

homeward bound

wargames

I agree about the original ST movies. I'd skip ST1, #'s 2 feeds into the current reboot , 3. ties up all the loose ends from II, and definintely has it's moments, especially if you are into ST. IV crossed over into non-ST fans. some of the later movies tied into STNG, first contact(borg), and insurrection were decent.

Does it have to be movies? My 13 year old son loves the new Doctor Who series, X-Files, Xena and Buffy. He also likes original Star Trek, Merlin and the Avatar:The Last Airbender. For the last he likes the TV series, not the movie. He didn't want anything to do with the movie, lol.

If you can find them, there is also The Sarah Jane Adventures, but you should be at least familiar with Doctor Who for those to work. Both my boys (8 and 13) love those.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? He likes Princess Mononoke, Princess Bride, Chicken Run

Is there a reason it needs to be movies? There are pther things to do on a plane... Read, puzzles.

It's not hard to find nice books and puzzles for a 13 yo -- it's hard to find nice movies.

Hence, the question.

We're set on the books and puzzles part.

Day After Tomorrow was cheesy apocalyptic fun.

Won't your plane show movies?

Yes, there will be movies on the plane, but the boys are all excited to download some movies/TV episodes onto our laptop. We only allow that when we travel. And I'm not too happy with what has shown up on their wish list so far. So this thread has been very helpful!

Thanks, everyone! I have bookmarked this thread and will be having my son read it and make some choices.

I loved some of the suggestions and will be checking those out.

I'm okay with violence if it's not the modern-day-it's-cool-to-be-a-thug variety of violence. But there seems to be a lot of that out there. Kind of depressing to me.