Menu

Ohio Curriculum Description (Non-Ohio People Can Probably Help Too!)

Ohio requires an outline of your curriculum and a list of your textbooks. For the curriculum outline, I believe they want a basic scope and sequence for what you're going to cover. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on that!)

I think I want to just write a basic "average for grade level" list of expectations instead of what we are actually covering, to avoid looking like an over-achiever. Are there any reasons I shouldn't just summarize the World Book scope and sequence? Is there any benefit I'm missing out on by understating what we are doing?

This past school year (12/13) was my first one in Ohio. A lady from this board gave me an idea of what to expect. It's simple, and my school district sent a letter back indicating they were pleased with it. I put all the children's information together on all the forms. Here is an example (ignore the outline's formatting as it did not copy/paste correctly):

I. Mathematics

A. Addition/Subtraction

B. Multiplication/Division

C. Fractions, Decimals, Percents

D. Word Problems

E. Pre-Algebraic Thinking

F. Algebraic Operations

G. Geometry

H. Place Value

I. Number Recognition

J. Money/Time/Measurement

K. Grouping

L. Counting

II. Language Arts

A. Reading Comprehension

B. Spelling and Vocabulary

C. Handwriting

D. Creative Writing

E. Grammar

F. Literature

G. Phonics

As you can see it is really rather simplified and not all-inclusive by any means.

Ohio requires an outline of your curriculum and a list of your textbooks. For the curriculum outline, I believe they want a basic scope and sequence for what you're going to cover. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on that!)

I have never provided an outline of the curriculum. I do provide a one page list of the textbooks I will be using for my kids, but I do not provide any details beyond that.

I have never provided an outline of the curriculum. I do provide a one page list of the textbooks I will be using for my kids, but I do not provide any details beyond that.

Same here. Just a simple list of textbooks.

For example:

Life of Fred math

All about Spelling

Story of the World

Daily Grammar

Etc

I also include a line at the end that reads something like "any other books, magazines, DVD, as needed."

I never include anything like that. I write down each subject and what we're using. I make sure I put something down for each subject legally required, so it is apparent we have a plan. This is only for informational purposes, not for them to approve. I have NEVER ever ever sat there writing down all the components of math or something, mercy. Talk with other homeschoolers in your area, but certainly don't do more than necessary. In area it's not.

I give them an outline of curriculum because of how the law is worded, so I treat the texts and the curriculum outline as two separate things. However, if people usually don't and their district doesn't mind, I think that is great. Since this will be a second year, I'll probably include it until I get a "feel" for my district. I haven't chatted with anyone locally to determine how they do it, but the form that most recommend (a support group's form) has it listed as two separate things - texts and curriculum - as well.

(6) Brief outline of the intended curriculum for the current year. Such outline is for informational purposes only.

(7) List of textbooks, correspondence courses, commercial curricula, or other basic teaching materials that the parent intends to use for home education. Such list is for informational purposes only.

I just list resources used as well. This was mine for last year (K).

Memoria Press Kindergarten

Singapore Math

If you don't mind me asking, was your K student 5 or 6? I have a younger child who will be doing itinerant-teacher preschool through the local district for some services, but probably will be too high-functioning to qualify by K age. I think he is just a couple days too young to meet the K cut-off at 5, so I shouldn't need to do any paperwork for him until he is 6, but I'm not sure if previous enrollment for preschool will change that. I've heard people in other states with children in school-supported preschool have needed to register earlier because it was like pulling a child from school instead of registering a homeschooled student.

I'd be interested to know what (if any) response you received about registering a K student. (Probably nothing, right?) I didn't do my K student this year, but I'm not sure if I'll need to for my son in the future.

If you're in Ohio, you don't notify until the dc is of legal age where school is required. So you typically would not notify for K5. You notify the year they're 6 by the cut-off. Check the law to be sure, but that's how I remember. CHEO has it all on their website.

OhElizabeth, that's what I thought. I just wasn't sure if it was different because we've had to enroll with the school to get speech and other services once my son turns 3. Other states we've lived in have had different requirements for students pulled from schools vs. never enrolled, but I don't see that in Ohio.

I'm usually pretty vague and just say something about using an appropriate curriculum covering all required subjects,plus books, DVDs, and community resources. I usually throw in a line saying something like, "Specific curriculum we will be using includes Elemental Science, Math-U-See, ...," so they see that I do have some plan in place. I've been told by other homeschoolers that giving too much information increases the expectations from the school district and makes it difficult for unschoolers or those who write their own curriculum. I have no intention of giving them a complete list of what we plan to study in each subject. They just need to know that I plan to teach the subject at an appropriate level for my child.

I've done it both very detailed and very vague for the same school district depending on my mood at the time :) Some years, I like to be very detailed for myself. It's good to really nail what our goals are and how we are going to get there for each kid. Then there are the years where I don't have that much time and I do it in a more general way and it always goes through. The important thing in our area seems to be to make sure you are explaining how you are addressing each of the required subjects - even if it's no more than a mention - like for health, we don't do any formal until high school but every year I make a statement that we cover this subject in discussions in our daily lives and through library books on specific subjects as interest arises. I've never had any trouble with that being accepted.

The year they actually left one of my kids off the acknowledgement letter they sent back to me was the year I realized that probably no one is really paying very much attention to the details anyway :) Oh, and early in our home school journey, there was the year that there was an unrelated child added unto their letter accepting our plan - LOL!

I agree with the less information you give them the better. The law clearly states that information regarding curriculum and textbooks are for informationals purposes only, it doesn't state that it needs to be approved by anyone. The first year we homeschooled in Ohio I only sent in a list of books with our intent to homeschool, and we were excused from compolsury education. Remember also, they are excusing you from compolsury education, not approving your right to homeschool, there is a difference.

I send two pages - one being the actual letter, the other an outline. I do my outline similar to this:

Math

Adding and subtracting, multiplcation and divison, intro to geometry, fractions

Math Mammoth

Reading

Continuing fluency

Books from the library

Science

Astronomy

Apologia, library books, outside

Let me know and I can bring you the forms that I fill out every year with all of that information on it. Takes like 5 minutes to complete and I don't have to do it from scratch every year.

Yes please! Maybe when we get together after our trip?

Silly question--how do I figure out where to send my forms and to whom?

Send it to the superindentant for the school disrict you live in.

My district sent me a letter informing me I have to fill out their form and send it to the homeschool liaison. I will do neither. The law clearly states I notify the superindentant and does not say I have to fill out any forms. I know the letter will still go to the liaison and I know she will send my excusal letter but I will do as the law is written and notify the superindentant.

You have to be careful in Ohio because you have to determine how your district is structured. We live in a school district that is labeled as a "local" school district and though we have a superintendent in our school district, because "local" is in the name of the school, we have to notify to our county superintendent which is a completely different office and person.

I agree with the less information you give them the better. The law clearly states that information regarding curriculum and textbooks are for informationals purposes only, it doesn't state that it needs to be approved by anyone. The first year we homeschooled in Ohio I only sent in a list of books with our intent to homeschool, and we were excused from compolsury education. Remember also, they are excusing you from compolsury education, not approving your right to homeschool, there is a difference.

On my notification page I always put FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY in all caps in my header.

Silly question--how do I figure out where to send my forms and to whom?

Once you find your school district, call them and ask who the person is who handles the homeschooling stuff. That way when you send it you can put their precise name, etc. on the envelope. You also want to either send it receipt confirmation or hand deliver. I've never had a problem, but that's just the standard advice. You need to have it in before school starts. For your first year here as in when you send in for this fall, you won't submit test scores or a portfolio review, only the notification form and info. NEXT year you'll submit your scores or review. Make sure you also tie up any loose ends legally with your previous state, since you completed your year there.

Once you find your school district, call them and ask who the person is who handles the homeschooling stuff. That way when you send it you can put their precise name, etc. on the envelope. You also want to either send it receipt confirmation or hand deliver. I've never had a problem, but that's just the standard advice. You need to have it in before school starts. For your first year here as in when you send in for this fall, you won't submit test scores or a portfolio review, only the notification form and info. NEXT year you'll submit your scores or review. Make sure you also tie up any loose ends legally with your previous state, since you completed your year there.

OhE, it's been my understanding that the letter should be addressed to the Superintendent no matter who handles it in the office ... You've done this a lot longer than I have, just thought I'd toss that out there too.

HV, be careful where you are ... sometimes in the Columbus 'burbs school districts don't align exactly with municipalities ...

• 2 weeks later...

We no longer live in Ohio, but we simply listed the topics we would address: eg. handwriting, spelling, phonics, etc. We also said that exposure to music, art, and issues of personal safety and care will be incorporated as part of everyday life.

When asked to list the textbooks, we said we'd use a combination of different curricula, such as Sonlight, Singapore math, etc. We didn't specify level, etc.

This was back in 2008 & 2009, so maybe things have changed.

I never include anything like that. I write down each subject and what we're using. I make sure I put something down for each subject legally required, so it is apparent we have a plan. This is only for informational purposes, not for them to approve. I have NEVER ever ever sat there writing down all the components of math or something, mercy. Talk with other homeschoolers in your area, but certainly don't do more than necessary. In area it's not.

I notified last year and did just what OHElizabeth mentioned. We were directed in our local homeschool orientation training (by the Christian Home Educators of Cincinnati) group not to be very specific. I did not have a problem.  I just had a table that said "Math" and the column next to it had the name of the curriculum I was using. For things like health or first aid, I just put "various library and internet resources."  

Also on the subject of where to send the notification--our particular district makes us send it to the county. So don't assume you are sending it to the school district. Verify with whoever you need to, and not to be paranoid, but I wouldn't be leaving my phone number with tons of people.  Do you really want them randomly calling you?  Probably not. I always leave my phone number off the notification form. It is not required.

I was going to use the form on the OH board of education website. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? It does ask for an outline, and I'm using oak meadow and a few supplements, so it would be pretty easy to do. I don't want to give too much info if it will hurt other homeschoolers.

You need to have it in before school starts.

There is actually no deadline for turning in your notification. If your child isn't in school and you haven't sent a notification, your child could be considered truant, but your notification does not have to be sent in before school starts.

Also, I noticed at least one person used the word "approved." The superintendent DOES NOT "approve" you. He or she merely verifies that your notification is in compliance with the law and excuses you from compulsory attendance. Make sure you READ THE LAW! I had a big kerfuffle with the district last year when they hired a new person to review homeschool notifications and she did not know the law. I had to send them a copy of the law with the relevant sections highlighted to show them I was right and they were wrong. This was my first issue in 7 years of homeschooling.