Menu

Drop Box??

Anne

Anybody use Drop Box here? My dh needs to access files at work and on his laptop. He is constantly misplacing his flash drives or forgetting to update or something. He is not very techie....

Is Drop Box easy to use? Is it secure?

Thanks!

Anne

My favorite thing about Dropbox is its cell phone app. All the photos and video I take with my cell phone automatically upload to my Dropbox. Then I go to the Dropbox on my computer and drag the pictures into my Photo albums. So easy.

Gotomypc (logmein is another) is good for accessing files on a work computer with the company's permission. Our firm allows attorneys to use it but do not give any support staff remote access to files or client data. His office's tech support (there's another word my brain isn't retrieving right now...) should be able to give him recommendations that comply with policy.

I use google docs for semi-secure things. It's about as secure as email.

DropBox saved my rear... My PC was destroyed by a nearby lightning strike. The latest versions of my files (web sites, etc.) were on DropBox. Earlier versions were on CD-RW media. Between the 2, I was able to recover everything and continue, on another PC.

I highly recommend DropBox to everyone, including DD for her school work.

Recently, the DVD Burner in this old box stopped working (the drawer won't open) and I installed Google Drive. Google Drive is incredibly slow to sync, in comparison to DropBox and that is on the same box...

Your husband should get written permission about using Dropbox. I know a lot of companies have policies about uploading files onto Internet sites. It doesn't sound like he has secured files if he is putting them on a flash drive, However, it doesn't hurt to check because this kind of thing will come back to bite hard if he is not supposed to be using this.