Menu

Cyclists...a few questions for you

joannqn

Trying to come up with a physical activity that we could do together as a family, I came up with cycling. A friend gave me a bike (a GT All Terra Mountain Bike). DH just brought home his new bike this afternoon. DD13's bike is in the shop getting fixed up. DS11 got a new bike today. DS11's old bike is in the shop getting fixed up for DS6. DD3 has a new bike, but we're planning on getting a trailer for her to ride in when we all go together. Here are the questions:

1) Is there a good way to condition for bike riding, or is it just go and you'll eventually be able to ride for longer distances?

2) How do you sit on the bike without your bottom hurting? The bike that was given to me has a wider than normal seat and gel cover, and it still hurts like heck to sit on.

3) Same with hands. Mine don't like supporting my weight leaning over to grab the handle bars. Does that come with time as well?

I haven't ridden a bike in about 25 years, and it shows. Thanks for being so nice as to not laugh at me. :blushing:

Time on the bike will help all three of your concerns. If I ride more than 10 miles at a time, I wear padded cycling shorts. Oddly enough, a smaller, slimmer seat hurts less. I also wear gloves on longer rides- my summer gloves are cut so the top half of each finger is exposed. The palm is padded.

I prefer to ride on a trail- an old railroad bed that's been made into a bike/walking trail. There are lots of them around, and they are easy even for kids- mostly flat ground.

Really, after you have a few weeks of riding behind you, your seat and hands will feel better than they do now.

Enjoy!!

Thanks!

DD13's bike has a smaller seat and I can't even ride around the cul-de-sac on her seat. I've very thankful for the padding.

We have a lot of bike trails here. We expect to stick with a trail right by our house that goes for about five miles. There are other, longer trails we can catch off of that when we are ready. Otherwise, we are kind of stuck locally until we figure out how to transport 5 bikes and a bike trailer (ideas?).

I didn't think of special clothing for riding. I guess that'll come with time since we're sinking our money into the bikes right now.

If your hands/arms are hurting on your bike, it's probably not correctly sized/fit (things like the saddle position, stem length and angle can greatly affect comfort).

If you DD3 is closer to 4 have you considered a trail-a-bike? She's going to rapidly outgrow a trailer if she's almost 4 and a trail-a-bike might be a much more fun option. She just has to be stable enough that you're not constantly worried that she is going to fall off. We got ours when my DS was 4 and he loved it!

If your hands/arms are hurting on your bike, it's probably not correctly sized/fit (things like the saddle position, stem length and angle can greatly affect comfort).

If you DD3 is closer to 4 have you considered a trail-a-bike? She's going to rapidly outgrow a trailer if she's almost 4 and a trail-a-bike might be a much more fun option. She just has to be stable enough that you're not constantly worried that she is going to fall off. We got ours when my DS was 4 and he loved it!

I'll take the bike to the shop and ask them what they think of the fit. I think it is the whole handlebars at the same level as the seat and having to lean over that's the problem. I'm not used to having to support my upper body with my hands/arms, and I have very weak hands.

DD will be 4 next month. I showed her a picture of a trail-a-bike, and she was not happy with the idea. We were considering a seat on the back of our bikes, but we're afraid of going down with her attached to the bike. The trail-a-bike makes me more nervous than the seat since she wouldn't be strapped in. We liked the trailer idea since they stay upright even if you go down.

My DH and big kids have just gotten into cycling together, and they're having a blast. (I'm obviously not biking this year, but we're hoping I'll be able to next year, and we're planning to get a trailer for DS3 and the baby.) I can't answer your questions about the seat or clothing, but for your 3yo, you might consider a trail-a-bike, rather than a trailer. We just got one of those for our 4.5yo, and he loves it. It's like half a bike -- one wheel and handlebars -- that hooks to the back of an adult bike, and the child can just ride along, or he/she can pedal. Our 4.5yo is really happy with it, and it will last him longer than a trailer. (We found ours in excellent shape via CraigsList.)

ETA: Never mind -- I typed my response before I saw your answer. :)

I agree all are alleviated with riding.

Start with flat, well paved trails you can go slow on without worrying about car traffic.

Get a new bike seat. If it ain't comfortable now, it's gonna be worse in 10 miles.

A quick stop to sip water can be a nice little break if your arms or behind are hurting.

You'll be amazed at how fast you progress!

I'll take the bike to the shop and ask them what they think of the fit. I think it is the whole handlebars at the same level as the seat and having to lean over that's the problem. I'm not used to having to support my upper body with my hands/arms, and I have very weak hands.

DD will be 4 next month. I showed her a picture of a trail-a-bike, and she was not happy with the idea. We were considering a seat on the back of our bikes, but we're afraid of going down with her attached to the bike. The trail-a-bike makes me more nervous than the seat since she wouldn't be strapped in. We liked the trailer idea since they stay upright even if you go down.

Get a comfortable bike, if you can afford it.

I forget the style name for my bike. But i don't lean over my handlebars. I refer to it as my granny bike. My back is straight when I sit on the seat and hold my handlebars. I personally have always hated Bike that have your back not straight. For what I do wind resistance is not an issue.

My husband as a recumbent trike which is possible to fall asleep in.

This is my bike, except I have a few special features. :p

http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&q=easy+rider+bicycle&revid=1837335866&sa=X&ei=vzDBUbfPN8TMrgHjjoDYCw&ved=0CDQQ1QIoAQ&biw=1024&bih=644#biv=i%7C46%3Bd%7CTokrjn-Ov66kJM%3A'>http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&q=easy+rider+bicycle&revid=1837335866&sa=X&ei=vzDBUbfPN8TMrgHjjoDYCw&ved=0CDQQ1QIoAQ&biw=1024&bih=644#biv=i%7C46%3Bd%7CTokrjn-Ov66kJM%3A

Mine has fake wood panelling on the sides covering the rear wheels so my saddle bags don't bend into the wheel.

I have a giant basket on the front.

Personally if I could have the bike of my dreams it would be this one....

http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&q=easy+rider+bicycle&revid=1837335866&sa=X&ei=vzDBUbfPN8TMrgHjjoDYCw&ved=0CDQQ1QIoAQ&biw=1024&bih=644#biv=i%7C46%3Bd%7CTokrjn-Ov66kJM%3A

Except I want it to come with headlights that have a dynamo option, also you need to be able to unclip them and bring them into the house and plug them in directly to a typical wall socket.

Oh, and at the time I looked I didn't like any of the options for covers for the trunk

.... Not that I'm picky or anything.

Well, I took it into the shop and it is getting a complete overhaul and should be "awesome" by next week. It does fit me well and has a good frame and other parts, but it is also old and need of a lot of new stuff.

One of the new things is a new seat. A nice thing they do is let you return it if it doesn't work well for you. As long as you keep it in new condition and keep the tags, you can bring your seat back and try a different one...as many times as you need or until you've tried everything in their stock.

I'm also getting an extension for the handle bar shaft (I don't remember the proper name) but it means I'll be able to sit more upright.

Cruiser bikes generally have the handle bars positioned so that you sit upright when you ride. That's what I use for riding on the bike trail (converted railway line) near my house, and I haven't had any problems with my back/arms. It sounds like extending the handle bar shaft on your bike would do the same thing.

I didn't get any special clothing for riding, beyond a pair of $5 shorts from Old Navy. If they're in the wash, I'll wear jeans or a sundress or whatever. I'm not trying to set any speed records, though - I just like getting some fresh air for an hour or so without small children climbing all over me.

Your DH and your sons may want to buy special seats for men. Probably more comfortable... If the rear carriers are OK, for a kid the size of your 3 year old, I personally, would prefer to have my kid on the bike with me, and not in a trailer. No experience with that, so hopefully someone else can answer your question about what's best for a 3 year old, when your family travels together on bikes...

Where we live, it is very flat. There are mountains about 10 miles from us. We live in a huge rural subdivision. I ride to/from the center of town about 5 days a week. Probably about 1000 miles per year.

You all need to have safety helmets and use them!

Speaking of helmets.

Bike helmets are really easy to damage. I remember reading that supposedly if you are holding your helmet in your hand at your side and drop it you should replace it.

I ended up buying my boys BMX bike helmets. They always fit on right. Can't be damaged (Unless in a serious car accident) and they protect the face. This has saved both boys from a banged up face.

This is the kind I bought:

https://www.google.c...mets%2F;667;535

Mind you most people would pass on it since they were over 100 dollars each. But my boys started bike young, and long distances. 2 years ago they would contently bike about 80Km a week or something like that. Long distances away from home. With me of course.

ETA: No matter what helmet you get make sure that it is wore correctly. This is something difficult for a kid to do and I would not trust my kids to do it correctly even at there ages.