Menu

SOOO frustrated with food allergies and summer camp staff

Tess in the Burbs

Months ago before we had to pay for camp I emailed asking information about their handling of food allergies. I was told they handle over 20 kids a week with no issues. More emails and I finally got a menu but no specific allergen lists of what he can't have. Then the responses stopped. So here we are 2 weeks out and I am thinking of canceling him going to summer camp :-(

Basically they serve food and ds(11) can go read the labels and figure out what he can eat from that meal. Being they have limited time, how is he going to go through all those ingredients and still have time to eat? And why not let us know BEFORE he goes so I can send up alternatives? I truly have no idea how they haven't killed anyone yet. Maybe if they get to experience a true reaction and epi-pen experience they will be more helpful????

This is just a vent. I am so tired of emailing everyone with no responses. Guess I will call Monday to cancel and get some refund started. He's sad about it all but also doesn't want to go have issues. No allergy kid does. I just wish they had said they can't handle it up front instead of leading us on that they KNOW how to handle it. And I really feel bad for the kids going up there thinking they are safe but aren't.

That's why my dd won't be going to any camps unless I can go also. She wants to go to AHG camp, but I don't have anyone to watch ds while dh works, so it's a no-go. I was able to let her go on an overnight camping trip with her troop because the adults had let me know the menu ahead of time and one of the unit leader's daughter is GF, so she was knowledgeable and would look out for dd.

Have you looked into any camps that are specifically for kids with food allergies/intolerances?

Sleep away camp? How Long?.

I sent my older 2 dc to week long sleep away camp with enough safe non perishable snack food to get them calories through 21 meals. the food was kept in the camp kitchen. This was boy scout, girl scout and church camps. I figured they could at least get through. Girl scouts was the worst and dd did have to just consume food I sent. Girl Scouts had no idea where any of there food was from or what the ingredients were. No accomodations there. Church camp OK. Boy Scouts was the best. They really made sure meals accomodated ds, so he didn't have to hit the snack stash.

Dd is going to a small nature camp for the third time and they are the best. I do not send a thing. They make everything onsite. They grow a lot the food themselves, they get most of the rest from local farmers. In other words they know the ingredients in the food so they can make accomodations easily.

Anyway, by sending the nonperishables I figured the kids could still enjoy the camp experience. I could undo a week of poor nutrition when they got home. I did resent sending all that food though.

I'm sorry. It's so hard! Most of the camps around here us a food service company and have no control over what is served. Some of it isn't even prepared on site. So, they advertise up front that they can't accomodate food allergies.

I'm an instructor this summer for a three day 4-H science camp and have gluten issues. No refrigerator in my cabin either so I'll be eating on the skinny. I may manage a cooler, but my schedule is such that it's going to be a pain in the rear to get out and buy ice.

Faith

I hadn't thought about sending a ton of food. I was willing to send some bread items I knew would be an issue. But I like the idea of minimum calories to get him through. There is a salad bar and while he hates lettuce now, perhaps a week of no food would spawn a sudden interest lol! His dad will be there and while I can tell him to please be diligent about labels it won't happen. Just frustrated they say they can handle it but then offer no reading of labels!?!? Just seems like lies and someone is going to get seriously hurt some time by the lack of concern on their part.

We take our own "milk" to camp. I also make sure we have a couple of other things like some allergen free crackers and aseptic packages of tuna (for a unsatisfying but still adequate meal) but there are meals when we do eat things that we are allergic to. In our case, though, eating an allergen means sinus congestion and some tummy problems which are not severe so that it is worth it to us to go to camp.

What is your ds like about food. Will he trust just anyone telling him the food must be OK (big no no)?

My dd will not eat anything she is sure is OK. She is 15 now. This is her 6th time attending sleep away camp (she starting going away at 8, but did not go every summer). She's done the salad with no dressing. She's supplemented with her stash that included protein bars she could eat. For my kids it was important to go to things and know they could find a way to go to things and experience stuff just like other kids. I think for both them, taking responsibility for their food was important to them. Truthfully, safe food choices did not always mean they made good food choices. My ds went on a trip once and realized the two things he could count on for lunch and dinner were salad and ice cream. He ate ice cream for a week. He was 11 when he did that. I think he also brought some safe jerky with him. Not a balanced diet, but it was safe for him.

It's was a growth experience for them both to figure out eating without me. Look at the menu tonight, ask a few questions, grab an apple, a drink and something I brought from home. Occassionally, a grilled burger would be safe. The first time they each did it I was worried start to finish. They've been watching me take to restaurant managers, wait staff, and chefs since they were little, so they actually knew the drill and how to determine if there's anything at all or "I have to stick with getting a lemonade".

Anyway, it's a lot to think about, especially the first time.

Despite every camp assuring me that they can accommodate my dd has only had one experience that they actually did. It was a service project and the leaders actually want to the store and got stuff for the allergic children. I just assume nothing will be safe and send stuff for them, even if its just protien bars for the week.

One thing to make sure of are the camps rules. When my dd went to outdoor Ed I supplemented around their menu. They neglected to tell me they were a nut free facility and confiscated most of my daughters food. It never occurred to me that honey nut Cheerios would not be allowed. ;-)

I had this same problem with summer camps. I ended up having my DH call them and talk to the camp director and explain the seriousness of our son's allergies with them. We also make sure to have a parent with him at camp, because he is still pretty young. With one camp I became the camp director partly because of my DS's allergies. Being in charge I get to help him and the other kids with food allergies at camp. We also notify parents ahead of time that our camp is nut free, because we have a number of children with peanut and tree nut allergies.

Ok, I got the Scoutmaster on my side about all this. He's going up there tomorrow and will stop by the kitchen to find out how I can get access to the labels before camp.

I am seriously thinking of volunteering to help them set up a system for food allergy kids in the future, even if it involves me looking at labels for all the kids myself!

It's 1 week overnight scout camp.

That's tough.

Will the s'mores items an issue? If they are, you will need to hook up with someone who will be sensitive.

Is there a parent you know well? If so, I would send a food package with her/him. The kids are going to be putting hot dogs etc over the fire pit, and putting them in 'regular' buns etc.

Do the leaders know how to use an EpiPen?

My experiences with camp is opposite. They had protocol in place for various allergies, and nice buffets which catered to everyone, including vegetarians and vegans (my children dabbled. lol) .

I hope it can work out. Camp is fun, but allergies can make it impossible. :(

Will the camp have a kitchen with a large freezer and microwave? You could make up meals ahead of time and send them along. You could even send a microwave if they don't have one. My DS has wonderful memories of Scout camp. I hope you can find a way for your son to go and be safe.

I think most scout camps have salad bars now. Dd just came home from swim camp last week, and I was told they could accommodate her gf diet. Yeah, that meant they had a salad bar! She was not happy. Luckily I sent some pizza pocket type things, and mac-n-cheese since they had a microwave. Next year, I'm sending her w/ real meals! That being said, I would let him go, especially if your dh is going. Send food you know he can eat, and there's always salad...he won't starve! One other thing I would do. Call the camp and ask who their meal/food supplier is (Sysco, etc) and see if you can get some info from them. hth

I would never ever accept someone's blanket statement that they can accommodate and don't have problems. That's absolutely unacceptable.

Last year when ds went to Boy Scout camp I pushed hard for an actual conversation with the camp cook. It was quite reassuring and I was able to get a ton more information on the phone with her than over many, many emails with other people. For ds I sent up a lot of food just for him, but I also was able to review the menu with the camp cook. In our case, the camp cook was actually trained and really savvy, so she was able to "prove" herself to me.

When ds was up there, the staff prepared and plated food for allergy kids separately so that ds just went to the delivery spot and took the covered plate with his name on it. When he needed a snack of something to supplement he went to his own stash of food. The camp was so good about providing him adequate food that he ended up with quite an excess of the food I had sent for his stash. The last few days he used his Oreo stash (Oreos are milk-free) to bribe his friends to do various crazy, silly things, lol.

Asking kids to try to read labels at mealtimes is ridiculous, IMHO. In your shoes I would first try strenuously for a conversation with the cook. Can you take a day to drive up yourself and speak physically in person? That might help, though if a face-to-face conversation won't work then try for a phone conversation. After that conversation, follow up with another email summarizing your conversation so that no one forgets what was agreed upon.

If that is not possible then your options are to either cancel the camping or send up enough food for the week. I go camping frequently myself, including backpacking in the wilderness. When I do this, I have to plan each meal strictly and bag and label per day/meal. This is how I would do it for my allergy kid. For example, I might send a quart size baggie of cereal labeled for MONDAY BREAKFAST. With it I would include a small drink-sized carton of rice milk, and instructions on a 3x5 card to the child to get fruit from the camp. I might also write on the card for the child to feel free to have a boiled egg for protein but NOT scrambled eggs. All of this would be in a gallon zip-lock bag.

Same for lunch. A gallon zip lock bag might contain a jar of peanutbutter with instructions to use that jar all week (put in the next day's lunch). I would have to send the peanutbutter because some peanutbutters have milk content. The gallon bag might also include four slices of safe bread in sandwich bags. I might also send beef jerky. On the card for that meal I would remind ds to get some fruit or a salad from the camp.

In that way, you can plan out an entire week's worth of meals. In addition, you would send a random assortment of safe snacks so your child would have something for when everyone else is snacking.

I was discussing your issue with my dc who has been a day camp counselor for several years,. Dc believes that a camp not taking food allergies seriously could indicate that the program might also ignore other critical safety issues (bullying, poor supervision, low staff -to -camper ratios etc). His counselors go through training; CPR, First Aid, cultural sensitivity etc., and including being educated about allergies and the potential for anaphylactic shock caused by anything from bee stings to nut allergies.

His is a day camp, so campers bring lunch in small coolers from home, and eating areas are assigned so that children with food allergies are as safe as possible. They do not eat alone, however. Campers can buy snacks and sandwiches, but a list of available items for purchase is sent in every campers' registration packet.

My dc also said any camper with allergies or other special needs has a red tab on their folder. Every week, or before each session begins, the counselor must review each file of the children assigned to them. There is also a nurse on staff.

My husband always goes camping with my son who is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish and is gluten intolerant/celiac. We have been assured by the week-long Boy Scout summer camps that his allergies would be accommodated. Not true! Thank God my husband went with him because they had nothing there for people who were gluten free. Their idea of "accommodating" was that if bacon, eggs and toast were served for breakfast, my son would have bacon and eggs -- basically the Atkins diet. Anyway, I have always sent about $100 of gluten free food along with my husband for these trips. There will be other kids there who are suffering as well because they don't have enough to eat and my dh takes care of them.

My DD left for camp just today. She does not have allergies but it is the same camp we use for our AHG spring campout. We have two girls that are GF and one that has a dairy, egg, melon and nut allergy.

We went out to the camp (which is not far from us) and met with the chef. I could not do anything less. The health of my girls is important to me. I took the moms because they know the issues I do not.

The way they do it is they have the kids walk the buffet line with the parent or the counselor (with a list) and get what they can from it. Everything is segregated. But if say they are having french toast they then go to the kitchen serving window and ask for the GF version of whatever they are serving. The retrieve it from a safe space in the kitchen.

He took us back to where they prepare it. Separate space. He has multiple people working there that have food allergies themselves and he has researched himself and makes a lot from scratch. They take food allergies very seriously at Mt. Gilead.

They had a young lady come that had a list that was half a page long of issues. They placed her picture in the kitchen to make sure they did not hand her something she should not have. This girl had had a terrible experience just the week before camp where they went out to eat and the server absentmindedly wiped the silverware with a towel that had come into contact with nuts and she ended up in the hospital. She was terrified to come. They fed her well and she had come back year after year.

So sorry for your frustrations. I pray that this resolves so he can go. BS camp is so much fun....so i have been told. :001_smile:

My son is signed up for church camp next month, but I am also concerned as to what he is going to eat all week. (He is allergic to wheat, dairy, beef, pork, turkey, fish, shellfish and spinach - and the menu for the week is things like hot dogs, spaghetti, pizza, salads, pancakes, bacon, etc.) None of it is safe - not even the salad because it may contain spinach. :sad:

I will be sending a cooler of precooked food that just has to be microwaved - chicken, rice, fruits and veggies,and gluten/dairy free baked goods. I am hoping that by using a microwave it will risk any contamination that might occur in the preparation. I am also PRAYING that the camp is not nut-free, (or at least that there is a set-aside place for him to eat things like a power bar or apples w/ peanut butter) as those are some of the few foods he can have.

One thing that does give me some peace of mind, is that the camp has a full-time nurse on staff who is familiar with food allergies and Epi-pens....but I'm still a nervous mama. :001_unsure:

Way back in the day (ok, late 90s, early 00s) I worked at a girl scout camp. We accomidated kids with allergies quite a bit. We even had a camper once with a severe peanut allergy and the whole camp was peanut free that week. If a kid had an unusual allergy or one that was hard to accomidate the parents would send some alternative food which was helpful. In the case of the peanut allergy, I was her counselor and her parents talked to me (and the other counselors in our unit) as well as the kitchen staff about the allergy. It was not an issue. I wasn't eating dairy at the time I worked at this camp and the kitchen staff was very good about warning me when something was not dairy free and providing an alternative (i.e. a ham sandwich instead of grilled cheese and soymilk instead of regular milk). My point is, it can be done if the camp is willing to work with you. I would send a detailed list of what he can't have an insist on speaking to the kitchen and his counselors. Provide all of these people with the list. And if it's an allergy where there are easy alternatives for you to provide (i.e if gluten free send gf bread, gf cereal, etc) then do that.

My son is signed up for church camp next month, but I am also concerned as to what he is going to eat all week. (He is allergic to wheat, dairy, beef, pork, turkey, fish, shellfish and spinach - and the menu for the week is things like hot dogs, spaghetti, pizza, salads, pancakes, bacon, etc.) None of it is safe - not even the salad because it may contain spinach. :sad:

I will be sending a cooler of precooked food that just has to be microwaved - chicken, rice, fruits and veggies,and gluten/dairy free baked goods. I am hoping that by using a microwave it will risk any contamination that might occur in the preparation. I am also PRAYING that the camp is not nut-free, (or at least that there is a set-aside place for him to eat things like a power bar or apples w/ peanut butter) as those are some of the few foods he can have.

One thing that does give me some peace of mind, is that the camp has a full-time nurse on staff who is familiar with food allergies and Epi-pens....but I'm still a nervous mama. :001_unsure:

Hello from another mom with meat allergy kid! (Beef, pork, lamb, + many, many more)

Please call and verify they aren't nut free. I sent my daughter to camp a couple of years ago. I didn't specifically ask and they didn't tell me they were a nut free camp. When she got to camp a lot of th food I sent wasnt allowed.