Menu

help me pick some games for my Amazon cart

I am placing an international order from Amazon so don't want to forget anything. I really love a few Gamewright games we have and so want to get a few more plus maybe some others. I would love some feedback on the following games for my boys 5, 7, and 9. Plus, if you have ANY other suggestions for great educational items or games from Amazon, please let me know. The games I am currently thinking about are: Frog Juice, Zeus on the Loose, Sleeping Queens, Hissssss, Ticket to Ride, Catan Jr. Forbidden Island. Thanks

We've played all those. Not so impressed by Catan Jr, though I only played it once. Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island are both great.

Hisss was well loved here when my kids were younger, but they outgrew it. I wouldn't get it if I were you. Of the other Gamewright ones, we love Zeus the best. However, they're inexpensive and are all fast play. Sleeping Queens was a favorite here for ages, so I would get that too. Frog Juice is fun - I do feel like my kids kind of outgrew it though, so something to consider. If you don't have Rat-a-tat-cat, that's a classic. Also, we have a little game from Gamewright called Iota which we've really enjoyed.

We love Catan Jr. here. My DD10 (almost 11) would be able to play Settlers of Catan easily (though she enjoys playing Catan Jr. too), but DD7 (almost 8) is at the right skill level with Catan Jr. She could play the older version, but she'd struggle to keep up. We own Sleeping Queens but I haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet :blushing: My girls also love Set if you don't already own it, and No-Stress Chess too.

Favorite games in our house have been:

- Sleeping Queens (by far the best of all the card games we've had)

- Uno

- Yahtzee

- Quoridor (great wooden strategy game)

- Quixo

- Labyrinth

- 10 Days in.... series

- Sum Swamp

- Money Bags (mine have always loved this one!)

- Apples to Apples

- Set (if you don't have this, it's a must!!!)

Of course now I realize I'd love some new games for advanced math skills :)

The family game we've loved most recently has been Dix It! It's really fun and better with a small crowd. You have to look at these cool pictures and figure out a good "caption" or hint for the picture. Then other people look at their picture cards and pick one that might fit it. Everyone votes, like Balderdash. It's clever because young kids can really do well against older kids and adults, but at the same time, it's still fun and engaging for the adults.

The family game we've loved most recently has been Dix It! It's really fun and better with a small crowd. You have to look at these cool pictures and figure out a good "caption" or hint for the picture. Then other people look at their picture cards and pick one that might fit it. Everyone votes, like Balderdash. It's clever because young kids can really do well against older kids and adults, but at the same time, it's still fun and engaging for the adults.

Oh interesting. I'd never heard of that game.

You bring up one of my favorite all time games as a young adult - Balderdash.

We got DixIt for Christmas. It's a lot of fun! We like Zeus on the Loose and love Ticket to Ride.

I just bought Rivers, Roads and Rails for my two. I am really pleased with it, because it is great for both my 8yo and 5yo. And the 5yo has a really hard time losing, so it is easy to play this game just to play and not to win.

We love lots of these games but a current favorite is Carcassone. I don't think anyone has mentioned it. It's in the "German Board Game" family (I think--I'm not really an expert) and it's great because it's totally fun for two adults to play but even my 4yo can play it "correctly" even though he has no sense of strategy. In fact, his game choices sort of throw in a fun element of the unpredictable for the rest of us to work around.

Now you have me searching for some new games. Does anyone have any of these?

- Dutch Blitz

- Five Crowns

Dutch Blitz is a fun game to play, but you don't need to purchase it to play if you know the directions. If you remove the face cards from a deck of cards and use one deck per person, you can play with many more than 4 players. The more the merrier as long as the table is big enough for everyone to fit around.

Would a 7 year old be able to play adult version of Settlers?

I think it depends on the 7 year old involved. My son could play it without problems at that age. When we first started playing, we either helped him out or had him team up with another adult, but he quickly understood the strategy and didn't want our help.

Oh, I forgot Spot It. Super fun and a great multi-age game. I'm ridiculously good at that kind of game and my family won't let me play with them any more :laugh:

Also, we like Settlers and I think my 6yo dd could handle it but my 8yo couldn't. Too much to keep track of. So, it just depends on your kid's personality with regard to games, I think.

Fluxx and it's variations are a hit with us. Family Fluxx is a tad easier than the variations and DD7 and even DD5 have no trouble playing. Tho with DD5 we do have to help her by reading what her cards do, but she loves it.

Q-bitz http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-44002W-Q-bitz/dp/B0031P91LK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1371211828&sr=1-1&keywords=qbitz and Quirkle http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-M32016-Qwirkle-Board-Game/dp/1933054395/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1371211828&sr=1-5&keywords=qbitz are big hits here, along with Settlers of Catan (we have some expansion packs as well) and Ticket to Ride.

Hissss was my kids' favorite game when they were little :)

Fluxx and it's variations are a hit with us. Family Fluxx is a tad easier than the variations and DD7 and even DD5 have no trouble playing. Tho with DD5 we do have to help her by reading what her cards do, but she loves it.

We just picked up Family Fluxx as our present for a 6-yr old birthday party we are going to this weekend.