Menu

s/o 2nd Grade Thread - How Do You Get it All Done?

I was reading through the 2nd grade planning thread and boy did it make me feel like a slacker! I have all these great plans but I don't see how I will get even half of them done. How many hours per day are you doing school? Most of the lists I looked at looked like 2-3 hours of actual work, which with my 2nd grader, would probably take all day because of his uncooperative attitude.

Do you school in one block or split it up into two sessions?

I've been entering my plans into Scholaric this week (testing it out) and I feel overwhelmed! And I haven't even added my preschooler or chores to the list. Help!

I think the key is to start with the basics then add on if you find you have the time. There's no point starting with a busy schedule as you'll quickly feel overwhelmed! Personally we do language arts & maths in the mornings (1-2hrs), then if the younger ones are being cooperative we'll attempt "extras" in the afternoon or on the weekends.

With my 2nd grader, we've done 2.5 - 3 hours of seatwork, plus independent reading daily. I noticed a real shift in what we could accomplish in that time halfway through the year, so lately we've actually been getting to (almost) everything I planned. That wasn't the case at the beginning of the year -- math, LA, and then one content subject seemed to be all we could do a lot of days before one of us burned out.

I posted our list for next year in that thread and it looks like we are all super ambitious and get a lot done and work a long time. :lol:

We just finished first grade this year and this was what we did on a typical day:

Phonics work

Take a break to play with little brother

Math work

Read a chapter of SOTW2 with older sibling

Do some mapwork or watch a video or something related to the History we just did

Science (2X a week), Grammar (2X a week), or Write a story (whenever she wanted as she enjoys this) depending on the day

Take a break for lunch and to play with little brother

Read aloud during little brother's nap

There are a lot of breaks in our day and I would guess she doesn't actually do as much school work as it might appear in a day.

We try to do one chunk. I have not added in my 3 yr old yet.

We do math and Bible every day. Math usually takes the longest. Our Language arts stuff takes only 5-10 minutes per product and we don't do First Language Lessons every day. Spelling is 3 times per week and Wordly Wise is twice. We do history and read alouds daily. This takes about 30 minutes. Latin we will do in the car on the way to coop on Mondays. Art will be done on Mondays. We won't do any other subjects on Monday due to coop. So our schedule will looks like this:

Monday:

SSL in the car

Coop

Art

Tuesday-Friday:

Math 30-45 minutes

Bible 15 minutes

Language arts 30 minutes

Science 30 mins twice a week

History/read alouds 30 minutes

Every day she does her VP self paced history right before supper. She also reads books for at least 30 minutes at bedtime. I do want to add in more Bible memory work/catechism study. If I get around to this it will be done family style at supper.

We also start with the basics each day: Bible, memory work, history, math, phonics, language arts. Then we add in some extras like science, Latin, poetry, literature...things we try to get to at least 3 days a week. Finally, if there's time, we add in the true "extras" like art, music, picture study, extra projects, etc. I aim to get to these once a week, but it's not a big deal if we don't. This way, if we only get to an hour of school, we have the essentials covered. If we are able to spend all morning and/or afternoon on school, we can add in some fun projects.

With 4 DC, my goal is to finish before lunch, but often we are schooling at least another hour in the afternoon. I can get the essentials done in an hour if I really have to.

Naptime. My lovely baby sleeps for a solid 2 hrs+ every single morning. We do it all in one chunk, but I try to limit my 2nd grader's time to 2 hrs. We always start with the basics (math, lang.arts, writing, French). Usually we will have time to finish up everything else, but if we don't then that's okay. We just make it up later in the afternoon or the next day.

Dealing with an uncooperative attitude is something else. I would make my 2nd grader finish his work during playtime if that was the issue. That generally clears up any attitude problems.

I spend about 2.5-3 hrs 4 days a week w/ my second grader. This includes Bible, LA, math, science and geography. This doesn't include silent reading or any extras like art or poetry tea. Some days it's more some days it's less depending on whats going on in our family.

What has worked best for us for 1G/4G (When we strayed from this, they balked and we didn't get as much done):

9:00-10:00 One-on-one seat work (devotions, math, LA)

10:00-10:30 Structured break/snack/exercise/virtues

10:30-11:30 semi-independent seat work (handwriting, mapping, mazes, etc.) - I work with older dd but am available to help

11:30-1:00 break/lunch/read alouds

1:00- I work with older dd

I suspect this year will be different because they continue to have more work. I'll plan on using the afternoons for both girls this year - I still don't foresee more than 3 hours of seat work in a day for 2G though.

One of my kids is just completing 2nd grade, and below is our daily schedule.

We end up accomplishing quite a bit. At the beginning of the year, it is a chore to get it all done, but after a month or so we have a good routine and the kids are used to it.

8:15-9:30 a.m. Math and English

9:30-10 Break

10-10:45 Spelling and Composition

10:45-11:00 Foreign Language (DVD/CD) or Typing

11-11:45 Lunch and break

11:45-12:30 One child reads aloud to me, and the others do independent workbooks and lapbook activites at the table (vocabulary, handwriting, logic, reading comprehension, drawing skills). Kids rotate until all have read aloud to me.

12:30-1 Break

1-2:30 Finish lapbook activity, practice memory work, history reading, and one “special†(= Art, Music, Geography, Civics/state history, or Science).

I wanted to add that I find using a timer is very helpful. I have a set amount of time that I allot for each subject. the student is expected to do their hardest work during that time if they do not I add to the timer. this keep the kids on task and keeps our days short. HTH!

My oldest spent about 2-2.5 hours when he was in 2nd grade. We did some blocks and some breaks, depending on how the little ones were carrying on (both were <5 at the time). We did history 3 times per week. We didn't do formal science (just got library books, so he read about science topics a LOT, but it wasn't part of our school day). We did grammar 3 times per week. We did math, writing, and spelling daily. I didn't do art or other extras. For us, less is more. If I try to do a gazillion things, we end up learning less in the long run. I'm also pretty lax about content subjects at that grade level, and I don't really do projects. My kids can do projects when they can do them on their own. ;) In 2nd grade, projects were more like me doing demonstrations, and my kids really don't learn well from that. My oldest learns best by just plain old reading, so I provide him with plenty of books on history and science, and he learns so much.

We're not one of the more impressive lists on that thread ;)

I do two to three hours with 2nd grader, but we're six day a week, year round. I'm not including music practice or lessons or independent reading in there.

I do an hour with my JKer.

JKer gets most of his work done before 2nd grader is out of bed. He's my early riser. She does her work in the morning, although I sometimes shove things in right before or after dinner depending on how crazy the morning ends up. We start with math, which we do in two parts -- a practice worksheet and a lesson of SM with the accompanying workbook. Then she does reading and spelling, and Hebrew. She does typing in the afternoon. Anything else is bonus.

We work 2-3 hours four days a week with a extra day for catch up, educational movies, science experiments, field trips, ect. Our day goes 9-10am I start with bible & language arts. She does AAS, Writeshop, Handwriting, and reading to me. Then I read poetry or a Aesop fable. That takes an 45min-1 hour. Break for 15min-30min. Then its math, Geography, Latin. Later in the day I will do history and our read aloud. I would like to add piano, and ballet but very slowly I add in. Typing is a fun thing for her she can do when she wants 2-4 times a week. Once a week we do art, music, and science.

I replied to that other thread, but we really will not be doing hours and hours of work. We just started our hot weather daily routine, and we'll stick with this plan till November. So, we do

2 hours outside (picnic breakfast with readalouds, then play)

inside and I bathe girls and read to them, and 2nd grader showers. Snack.

Language Arts block

Hour of free time while I spend time with my younger girls

Lunch while I read aloud, then history/geography/science block (alternate)

quiet time for 30 min

30 min family chores

snack, then about an hour of readalouds

Math when dh gets home and can watch the girls

I think long curriculum lists can look really intimidating, but that usually you have to know what you're reading. People list some things that are supplements they do once a week or even less for just a short time, like logic workbooks. Or they list a program for something that others don't, such as a specific reading list when many people are simply reading books.

Of course, some people have driven kids, gifted kids or fast workers. And some people are really doing too much and you should try to ignore them. ;)

I read the first grade lists and started to panic, we are barely hanging in there with ONE math curriculum, WRTR (phonics and spelling), and CC memory work (which we are doing over the summer because I never quite managed to get to the ever-important geography). I can't imagine adding another math curriculum, science, Latin, and logic, really, I just can't imagine it. I was sadly reading my dh other people's lists and he told me to relax, that until I can figure out how to do geography on at least a bi-weekly basis, I didn't need to stress myself out with the other stuff. Sometimes I come on here and feel like I'm doing it all wrong :/.

We start out slow and add things in as we go. LA, math and reading with PE to start. Then we might add in history and science on alternating days. Then art and music. And so on. Additionally, some of the curriculum we choose only takes a few months to complete. For example, last year we used Evan Moor's Beginning Geography and we were finished before Christmas. So we did 2 month health unit during the time that was initially slated for geography.

I read the first grade lists and started to panic, we are barely hanging in there with ONE math curriculum, WRTR (phonics and spelling), and CC memory work (which we are doing over the summer because I never quite managed to get to the ever-important geography). I can't imagine adding another math curriculum, science, Latin, and logic, really, I just can't imagine it. I was sadly reading my dh other people's lists and he told me to relax, that until I can figure out how to do geography on at least a bi-weekly basis, I didn't need to stress myself out with the other stuff. Sometimes I come on here and feel like I'm doing it all wrong :/.

Don't panic. It looks like you have three young'ins. You are doing what works for you right now and with tweaking and most importantly kids getting older more things will fall into place. I only have a three year old and an eight year old. Mommas with more than that I am always amazed, what they can do with little babies, even if it doesn't look like more than three subjects. So give yourself a pat on the back.

I think long curriculum lists can look really intimidating, but that usually you have to know what you're reading. People list some things that are supplements they do once a week or even less for just a short time, like logic workbooks. Or they list a program for something that others don't, such as a specific reading list when many people are simply reading books.

Of course, some people have driven kids, gifted kids or fast workers. And some people are really doing too much and you should try to ignore them. ;)

:iagree: it's all in how you list your subjects/curriculum. I choose to list what we did in Kinder this past year as FIAR and the 3Rs. That's all I write when I respond on those threads.

If I chose to elaborate, I could list out all the different books we studied in FIAR. I could list the various materials I'm using with my kids for phonics (at least 4 different sources, because different things work for different ones of my kids). I could add on things like the Lollipop Logic workbooks that we dabble in occasionally or the sporadic picture study or composer study that we do. I don't include We Choose Virtues or bible reading, although we do those. I could add on our extra curricular activities like homeschool PE, our music class, or our swim school, but I don't. I don't list out all of that because those are add-ons to me, and not something we do every day or even every week. I feel like it misrepresents my homeschool to list out all of those tiny little components. It would make us look a LOT more ambitious than we really are. :lol: You'll see lots of people who do list all of that, though, so beware.

So true! When I first joined the board, I listed everything we used in my siggy, even if we just did it once a week. I like to use a more than one resource per subject, for variety and for their different strengths, but I don't do much of anything in its entirety or exactly as written. So it looked kinda psycho, and whenever I asked for advice, people always said "You're doing too much! Cut down to one curriculum per subject!" no matter what questions I was asking.

I think especially for LA, a lot of people loop and do a topic once a week - vocab, spelling, etc. but if you list them all out, the list looks crazy long. My suggestion is that if you are feeling intimidated by grade-threads, back slowly away and avoid them for awhile! ;)

My suggestion is that if you are feeling intimidated by grade-threads, back slowly away and avoid them for awhile!

:iagree:

I think long curriculum lists can look really intimidating, but that usually you have to know what you're reading.

I agree. There are a million valid reasons why some people have long, detailed lists and others have short, basic lists. Yes, some posts deserve a beware, but I think most just need a simple be aware--aware that none of us knows the specific details about personalities, circumstances, strengths, weaknesses, habits, etc. of the rest of us. It is possible that the person with the short list spends more time doing school than the person with the long list. Or not. People categorize and compartmentalize and make lists in different ways for different reasons. The thing is that not only are kids different; homeschoolers are different.

I really like the blog post someone linked to in the Homeschool That Fits You thread (in post 108: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/471431-a-homeschool-that-fits-you/page__st__100#entry4997826). I could have written it myself. Some people need to list it all out. And some people...you just think they must have listed it all out. Surely there couldn't be more! But they supplement the supplements and they would look completely nutso if they really listed all they used. I don't know anyone like that though... Really, I don't. :D

So true! When I first joined the board, I listed everything we used in my siggy, even if we just did it once a week. I like to use a more than one resource per subject, for variety and for their different strengths, but I don't do much of anything in its entirety or exactly as written. So it looked kinda psycho, and whenever I asked for advice, people always said "You're doing too much! Cut down to one curriculum per subject!" no matter what questions I was asking.

I think especially for LA, a lot of people loop and do a topic once a week - vocab, spelling, etc. but if you list them all out, the list looks crazy long. My suggestion is that if you are feeling intimidated by grade-threads, back slowly away and avoid them for awhile! ;)

:iagree: With everything, and especially with the bolded. I know that when I list what we're using, sometimes I choose to list every. single. thing we're doing (including the bazillion supplements) because in some contexts it might be helpful. (Often I've found interesting programs by scanning the lengthy lists that others have shared.) In other situations I streamline and just list the main things we're doing.

Math and LA I find particularly easy to rack up long lists because I am a chronic supplementer and curriculum addict. It doesn't mean that we spend any more time on the subject than someone who may be using a single program; we're just mixing it up lots.

I didn't really answer the OP before, but how I personally "get it all done" is, in order of influence/importance:

A. not having any little people to take care of anymore

B. scheduling our tasks and days to maximize efficiency

C. planning the subjects

D. sticking to the schedule but...

E. flexing the plan

Slow and steady wins the race. Really and truly, nothing is more effective for me than taking the long view (which I find gets easier to do the older my kids get). I do not expect to get it all done every single day. We do most subjects daily but ebb and flow as far as time and energy on any one subject. It all seems to even out when the year is over. For some of us, listing every single thing is important because if it's not on a list, it tends to be forgotten.

Perhaps I am the only person like this, but I appreciate it when people list all of their resources, even if it is a very long list. That is how I have found many wonderful materials which have greatly improved my curriculum. It also helps me not to forget to teach various topics, even if they may only be for part of our year. If everyone only listed the basic items they use for reading, writing, and math, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in reading those types of threads. I am already happy with my reading, writing, and math subjects. Tweaking the peripheral subjects is a lot of what I spend my time on, and also a lot of what enriches our days.

I know that when I list what we're using, sometimes I choose to list every. single. thing we're doing (including the bazillion supplements) because in some contexts it might be helpful. (Often I've found interesting programs by scanning the lengthy lists that others have shared.)

Perhaps I am the only person like this, but I appreciate it when people list all of their resources, even if it is a very long list. That is how I have found many wonderful materials which have greatly improved my curriculum. It also helps me not to forget to teach various topics, even if they may only be for part of our year. If everyone only listed the basic items they use for reading, writing, and math, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in reading those types of threads. I am already happy with my reading, writing, and math subjects. Tweaking the peripheral subjects is a lot of what I spend my time on, and also a lot of what enriches our days.

Totally agree with both of these! Without the seemingly superfluous or detailed lists, I probably wouldn't read these threads at all unless I was having a problem finding a program for one of the 3 R's.

As another thought, I include a few things in our list just because my kids love them. My kids adore their logic workbooks, so I officially include them in our homeschool. Also, I would drop spelling because my kids are good spellers except that they all LOVE spelling (probably because they are good spellers LOL), so we still spend time there. (DS10 recently suggested we spend an hour a day on spelling. Har-dee-har-har, DS! :lol:) We do a lot of art, linking it with almost every subject, because DD breathes it and the boys enjoy it. I include music lessons and swim team because, although my kids would probably still do them if we didn't homeschool, they are the "official" box-tickers for music and PE here.

Totally agree with both of these! Without the seemingly superfluous or detailed lists, I probably wouldn't read these threads at all unless I was having a problem finding a program for one of the 3 R's.

As another thought, I include a few things in our list just because my kids love them. My kids adore their logic workbooks, so I officially include them in our homeschool. Also, I would drop spelling because my kids are good spellers except that they all LOVE spelling (probably because they are good spellers LOL), so we still spend time there. (DS10 recently suggested we spend an hour a day on spelling. Har-dee-har-har, DS! :lol:) We do a lot of art, linking it with almost every subject, because DD breathes it and the boys enjoy it. I include music lessons and swim team because, although my kids would probably still do them if we didn't homeschool, they are the "official" box-tickers for music and PE here.

And I agree with your agreement of the other two posts, I'm just really bad at multi-quoting! :lol: