Menu

Neem oil - is this for real?

Susan in TN

Dd14 has had a terrible eczema outbreak recently - we're not sure what has exasperated it, but she's been concerned because her ballet recital is this weekend and her arms are red and scratched, dry, etc.

So I had gotten this neem oil at Whole Foods and finally convinced her to try some (it smells just awful). In half a day with the oil on her trouble areas, the redness, scaliness, and scratched skin are a good 50% better. I'm shocked - none of our usual remedies or even the mediated cream had done anything to help.

She will apply it again tomorrow and we will see what happens (I told her I wouldn't make her sleep with it on :).

Anyone else have any experience with this?

My family lived abroad in Africa for 13 months and while living there, I was constantly sick and I developed a severe case of eczema. Covered from head to toe in dry, cracked and bleeding skin. So was my baby brother. I was about 7 and 8 during the time, so I can't remember all the specifics, but we used Neem leaves to treat it and I do remember that while I hated Neem tea, bathing in the stuff did greatly improve my skin condition. I was given a soap that smelled like Neem leaves also, so I just always assumed that it was Neem soap, though I don't know--didn't speak the language well enough to be 100% sure.

This is a very common remedy in my dh's culture (India). We actually have a neem tree in our garden. Last year when my kids got chicken pox, my mil suggested I use that so each morning dh went out and grabbed a bunch of leaves, I steeped them in hot water, then used that to bathe the kids. I don't know 100% for sure that it helped, but their overall experience was not terrible. Could be they just weren't going to have a worse case, or could be the neem helped, kwim? But since then I hear neem mentioned among Indian folks whenever there's a skin issue.

I remember that the tea made from the Neem leaves had an awful taste.

I remember gagging and crying and hollering loudly (I was 50% genuine and 50% putting on a show) to get out of drinking the stuff when I was a kid. I do not remember how it smelled, or how it tasted, only that I didn't want to drink it.

The results more than justified the means though, I remember that much. I was miserable with all that eczema and skin problems. I think I also had fewer stomach problems after a few nights of that stuff.

Huh.

I grew up in Africa and I have never heard of Neem leaves.

Dawn

My family lived abroad in Africa for 13 months and while living there, I was constantly sick and I developed a severe case of eczema. Covered from head to toe in dry, cracked and bleeding skin. So was my baby brother. I was about 7 and 8 during the time, so I can't remember all the specifics, but we used Neem leaves to treat it and I do remember that while I hated Neem tea, bathing in the stuff did greatly improve my skin condition. I was given a soap that smelled like Neem leaves also, so I just always assumed that it was Neem soap, though I don't know--didn't speak the language well enough to be 100% sure.

Interesting! I always like hearing about this sort of thing.

Another option is flax oil - probably less powerful but not smelly.

If there's a "germ" involved (as opposed to a regular allergic reaction), I'd try soaking the arms in a bleach bath.

I make my own neem oil concoction at home. I boil a very large bunch of neem leaves in coconut oil, filter the oil, and store in a bottle after it has cooled down. I also add some extra virgin olive oil to this. My ds tends to get minor eczema type rashes and this neem-oil mixture always clears the rash in a couple of days.

Neem can be extremely bitter, but while the smell is not pleasant, I don't find it offensive either.

It is? I had no idea!

It says it is grown in India? It may have been available in the city where we had a very large Indian population, but we were very rural.

Africa is a large continent. . . .