Menu

Does your high schooler use a planner?

I recommend you show your girls a variety of planner types and let them select what they prefer.

In high school ds liked two pages per week, with the subjects going down the leftmost column and each day of the week having its own column (including the weekend days). He now uses google calendar to keep track of everything in college.

Dd18 preferred a smaller planner she could put in her bag. It had the week on two pages but with a paragraph-like section for each day instead of columns.

Dd13 doesn't use a planner yet, though she will next year for 8th grade.

I just pick up one at Office Depot -- big enough for him to write down important dates/events/tests...but that isn't what we use for daily school assignments. We use this for overall life-planning (as in, he has a test due on Sunday, but will be leaving for a camping trip on Friday afternoon...guess that means we're taking the test EARLY, and yeah, sure you can go to that sleep-over, but your research/reading for your paper still has to get done...how do you plan on doing that and staying up all night?)

One year, we tried using small spiral bound notebooks; the teens were supposed to date the top of the page each morning and keep a running list of whatever assignments/projects/etc. they had. That didn't work well. But for the past 2 years, we've used the free printable student planners here: http://www.newbeehomeschooler.com/freecurriculumplanner.htm Those have worked much better! Each kid picks their cover, style of weekly pages, etc., and I use our binding machine to put it all together. It has been really good for them, wrt keeping them accountable and helping them move toward independently managing their time. I would highly recommend students having their own planner, and I actually had my 6th grade dd start using one this year so that it will be more of a habit for her before she gets to high school age.

I recently bought there Greenroom planners from Target. They have ones in the store that run from May or July through June 2014. I like the paper, it's a weekly planner. I think I paid 9.99 for the larger size. They have a smaller size for less.

I've printed my own mostly in the past, but for next year I wanted something already put together.

I wrote and teach a study skills program and the planner I purchase for my students is here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=504983&item_code=WW&netp_id=1108675&event=ESRCQ&view=details

I like the size (approx. 9 x 6 inches) and the fact that it contains both monthly pages (to see a month at a glance, convenient for

keeping track of tests, family commitments, birthdays, project due dates, etc.) and daily pages (used to plan out daily assignments,

projects, daily to-do lists, etc...more detailed information). I provide a binder clip for each student so they can flip right to the current

monthly and daily pages quickly.

You certainly can purchase similar planners at Target, Staples, etc., but I would suggest a planner that is this size (so there's enough

room to write and that it doesn't get misplaced easily) and that it contains, minimally, monthly pages as well as daily spaces/pages.

My ds 15 has been using one for a few years now and we are having our youngest ds 10 use one from URtheMom (as mentioned

above). The URtheMom planner isn't dated so our ds writes in the week's dates and subjects, and then fills in the assignments for the

week. They both fill their planners out on Saturday or Sunday so they're ready for the week. I do not want our sons to get to college

and not know how to plan out their class work.

Anyway, these have worked for us. Good luck!

No one uses a computer planning system? I need to help my son learn to organize himself, but I can't see him using anything that is not on a computer or mobile device.

My dh keeps everything on his phone, it's like a second brain. I was a bit surprised when ds said he prefers paper planning, I know I do, it's easier for me to do paper.

Here's a couple online options that student & teacher capability.

Haiku - you get so many classes for the free version. It was a little too much for me, it's designed for a classroom. Lots of features though.

Engrade- it's free also, I use it to keep track of grades. It's also expanded a lot since I started using it.

Another option is to set up a private blog. I did this using blogger. Only ds and I have access to the blog, it's an easy way to have a virtual classroom with links and such. I plan on updating ours this summer and having him use it more often next fall.

Paper planners here.

The one big drawback of a computerized planner I see is the need to, well, get on the computer. And once the teen is on the computer, there is just so much distraction. I'd rather not have the computer more involved during school hours than absolutely necessary.

My son uses the form/table I made several years ago when I was still doing his daily assignments. It's just a Word document, single page, with the days/dates down the left column and the subjects across the top. Each Monday, he goes through his FLVS pace charts and the list of whatever other assignments or major tasks he has and fills in what he'll do for each subject each day. Underneath the table, he puts bullets for tasks that need to be accomplished at some point during the week, but that don't have a specific deadline.

He e-mails me a copy. I look it over on Monday to make sure I agree he's got everything accounted for, and I check up on him a few times during the week.

That's it.

He is supposed to start three classes at the community college in the fall, as well as continuing with a couple of online classes. And I am thinking he might need something to help him strategize and plan over a longer term. Since this works pretty well for him, though, and he's used to it, I'm thinking it might make sense to just put two or three weeks on the same sheet of paper and keep going.

Paper planners here.

The one big drawback of a computerized planner I see is the need to, well, get on the computer. And once the teen is on the computer, there is just so much distraction. I'd rather not have the computer more involved during school hours than absolutely necessary.

Same here. Mine have used the Rod and Staff ones since they were in fourth grade. They keep their own calendars and assignments. When they were younger, I wrote everything in and they checked them off. Now they do their own pretty much. This is it, but I order directly from Rod and Staff: http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-65680/

I use their class record book for my live classes because I find it easier to keep it open and record attendance, participation, etc. with a pen as I teach.

And I also personally use a Moleskine paper planner myself. I've found electronic planners to be too slow and cumbersome.

Paper planners here.

Exactly - for me too!

Another option is to set up a private blog. I did this using blogger. Only ds and I have access to the blog, it's an easy way to have a virtual classroom with links and such. I plan on updating ours this summer and having him use it more often next fall.

I love this idea!!!!!

My elder teen uses a planner-Well Planned Day for High School (1 academic year at a time). She also uses the calendar on her computer for many big or reoccurring events-such as athletics, scouts, etc. For daily assignments this year she has a small notebook dedicated to her syllabi and schedule. She has any individual syllabi for each course, a copy of our yearly plan (plotted by course and week), a daily time blocked schedule (showing what class at what hour, sports practices, chore times etc.), and a detailed weekly check list of assignments per course. I'm hoping to teach her over the next year or so to transition from the check list to reading syllabi and placing assignments in a calendar herself.

I use the Well-Planned Day 4 Year HS calendar to record her completed work, extra-curriculars, test scores and other notable events. I hope that as she puts together a resume, college apps, etc. this will help. It also helps me with planning, end of the year reporting/recording, transcripts, etc.

FWIW-thus far my experience has shown that 9th grade is a huge transition. Study skills, life management and similar non-academic skills need to be rethought, retaught, and relearned. Trying to have her maintain her own planner without help proved too much-hence the origins of the check list. Turning a teen loose with a planner for the first time without help or instruction might prove useless, confusing or time consuming. A needed skill but one that may need to be taught.