Menu

Diatomaceous Earth?

Renthead Mommy

Does anyone actually take Diatomaceous Earth? Someone brought it group yesterday then posted a link for it. I followed the link and it's interesting. But I'd like to hear from 'real' people that I 'know'.

So who takes it and why? Does it actually work for you?

I'm more interested in human purposes as we don't have pets.

Thanks!

I've only ever heard of it for getting rid of bugs - sprinkle it outside your house. Is it safe for people to ingest? I think I recall a warning on the can that it wasn't, but maybe that kind was mixed with something else.

I came across it several years ago in looking for more natural treatment for a case of intestinal worms (pinworms) that our family came across and was also pregnant and not interested in the neurotoxin medication approach. We did buy foodgrade stuff and the whole family took it for many weeks and it took care of the problem. We would mix a spoonful in a small glass of juice to take it.

I wouldn't take it for no reason, but never had a problem taking it for a reason. For a while would also just add a spoonful to smoothies once a month or so for a while - just because I was paranoid and was being very preventative just in case. But yeah, had no problems with it.

fyi: you must have foodgrade stuff, not pool or pesticide grade. Also, it's supposedly a very common ingredient in baked goods and commercial mixes, though not listed -- at least, this is what the internet said so take that as you will.

Yes, a relative of ours has taken it for some time. They lived overseas and travelled quite a bit in less developed areas. It seemed to resolve some of their digestive issues without any other intervention, so I can't argue with that!

We use DE for our chicken coop and for bugs in our garden. Make sure that you don't buy the pool filter DE!!!! Look around at different stores for it. Some places sell DE in small amounts for high prices, but there are a few that sell it in larger amounts for a much lower price/pound. Shop around. We recently spent $42 on a 50# bag; that was the best price we could find.

I'm just curious about what people are taking it for and if it is actually working for them. One mom is talking it up, and I've heard others talking it up before (different state) the site I was linked to talked about lower blood pressure and cholestrol, helping joint issues, great for skin, teeth, nails and hair, detoxing and weight loss.

So is anyone actually taking it, what for and is it working for you?

I will warn you about using it in your home. I spread it out for fleas (Frontline/Advantage failed to work) on our hardwood floored home. I went to vacuum it, and even with a Hepa filter, the air was filled. I was pregnant, but that first cloud was enough. I literally couldn't breathe. I had to call poison control and everything. It was horrible and scary. Please, be careful with the dust.

fyi: you must have foodgrade stuff, not pool or pesticide grade. Also, it's supposedly a very common ingredient in baked goods and commercial mixes, though not listed -- at least, this is what the internet said so take that as you will.

It's commonly used in stored grains to kill bugs. We sprinkle it in our bulk oats. Also mix it into our chicken feed and bedding.

I bought food grade for me to kill parasites ( in case we had the) and for our pets, garden and food storage. I took a big tablespoon and it made me cramp all night long. I like to just use a teaspoon now in a few ounces of water and mix it up good, then I usually drink some V8. My son was hurting a lot and my sister who is a Biblical Health Coach, Personal Trainer, Pilates, and Zumba, as well as an RN. I think a Naturopathic Physician told her about it. It does have to be food grade to be consumed. It does clean your system out. I am bad about remembering to take it daily. And the first time I opened the ( 50lb. bag in a big box), I did wear a mask and put a few cups into a container so my children and I could use it easier. Just make sure you move slowly getting it out and if you are outdoors with it to not be in the wind.

I buy food grade for my dogs. I sprinkle it on their food for intestinal worms three times a year and run it onto their skins every spring for any pests they might have picked up. I haven't used it for the people in my household but I have a friend that uses it a few times twice a year for her kids and it worked well. I have had dogs come in with serious worm issues and have seen a huge difference just from using that.