Menu

What options for bedwetting boy too big for GoodNights?

I need overnight protection (as descrete and easy to use as possible) for an 11 year old boy who is too big for the Good Nights. He has a 36 inche waist and weighs 202 pounds and is 4'11" tall.

Do you use men's Depend products? Do store brands work as well?

We are following up on this medically and with counseling and are working on his weight for height but this is a child with a very chaotic past with recent trauma and right now I need ideas on how to keep him comfortable through the night and prevent me from having to wash an extra 2 loads of laundry a day. The blue bed pads wouldnt' help as he moves around a great deal and it would never stay in place.

By blue bed pads, do you mean the disposable ones? Those are about worthless, but you can get washable hospital pads in many different sizes. We used them for our oldest when he was night training. This one is 34"x52". If he really moves around at night, you can get the biggest ones and tuck them around the mattress. These are 35"x80".

Truthfully, they don't hold a full amount. Are we talking a little here and there or a full wet? If it is the full wet, buy the hospital bed pads that cover the whole bed with and are between 3-4 feet long and are washable. The person can be an egg beater in their sleep and they don't move unless you use satin sheets. I would buy him a nice bucket/container and have him every morning put the stuff in it. Would he feel more comfortable doing the wash himself or does he not mind you doing it? I know the poor kid probably feels so bad as he can't help it and I would do whatever I could to help that.

I'd go with depends.

And on the bed pads - totally go for the hospital ones. I use them on my dd's bed - they work much better than the disposable ones. I use two of those sheet holder stretch straps {not sure what the real name is}, to go under the bed and clip onto each side of the bed pad and keep it in place.

ETA: I know you didn't say, but if this is for the foster ds in your sig, medicaid / his insurance will provide them if a Dr. writes an RX normally. I know that type stuff can get expensive so I thought I'd mention it.

Poor thing. I suppose it depends on the cause, but my ds10 seems to be helped a lot by magnesium citrate supplements before bed. I don't know why it helps or what the mechanism is, but I first read about it here. When I skip his nighttime magnesium, he often has a problem (his issue presumably stems from nerve damage due to a prior tethered cord, though he's had other kidney issues too).

You have a few options...adult diapers work well. The stretchy underwear style work best with kids who are trying to be independent. The Tranquilty ATN (all through the night) have a lot of absorbancy. Abena, Tena, Depends, Prevail...those are the major brands. Amazon carries them all, which is nice if you live in a small town. (both for the better price, and to avoid shame of being caught buying them in the store).

My 8yo still wets. My 5yo used to have frequent accidents. I put this on both of their beds: http://www.brollysheetsusa.com/ . It has wings, so doesn't move around, and holds A TON! Saves me from having to wash all the sheets when 5yo has an accident or if 8yos goodnights leak. Suggesting in case you want backup to the depends or whatever you find that works.

Ds6 uses a combination of bed pads and goodnites. The bedpads sold for nursing homes are good (I think they are the same as the hospital pads). The conni pads are good too - it is definarely a case of getting what you pay for.

Agree--if he has Medicaid, they will pay for diapers (there is probably an adult pull-up style also) and I believe they'll pay for 4 of the permanent chucks OR a bunch of disposables once per year. Requires a prescription from the doctor. We use a local supplier, so can't help there.

Agree--if he has Medicaid, they will pay for diapers (there is probably an adult pull-up style also) and I believe they'll pay for 4 of the permanent chucks OR a bunch of disposables once per year. Requires a prescription from the doctor. We use a local supplier, so can't help there.

HOW did I not know this?!!! I'm going to ask next time we are at the doctor!

This is at least true for us in Oregon. My dd is in a special program to help with costs for medically involved kiddos--but these costs (diapers, chucks, gloves) are definitely covered by the medicaid card, which came with being admitted to the program. Medicaid is the Oregon Health Plan here--maybe what's covered is different by state. Check with a medical supplies place that sells adult diapers--one that will bill Medicaid because not all do. They should know for sure if they can bill Medicaid. Does have to be cheaper brands of diapers because Medicaid will only reimburse something like $.42/diaper, but we like the Prevail brand we can get through them.

This is at least true for us in Oregon. My dd is in a special program to help with costs for medically involved kiddos--but these costs (diapers, chucks, gloves) are definitely covered by the medicaid card, which came with being admitted to the program. Medicaid is the Oregon Health Plan here--maybe what's covered is different by state. Check with a medical supplies place that sells adult diapers--one that will bill Medicaid because not all do. They should know for sure if they can bill Medicaid. Does have to be cheaper brands of diapers because Medicaid will only reimburse something like $.42/diaper, but we like the Prevail brand we can get through them.

This.

Also you can try craigslist for people selling extras or wrong sized ones they got through medicaid. That's what I do with my dd, as her pedi refuses to write a script {and yes we are looking for a new pedi}

My ds12 still wets the bed. It's not every night and it seems to come in spurts. He went 3-4 months without wetting and I thought we were finally done, then he started wetting every night for a few weeks. Now we are back to 3-4 nights a week. We don't use adult diapers, I think that would make it more humilating for him than it already is. He stopped wearing the night time pull ups when he was about 8. I taught him at that age how to work the washer and dryer. Now when he wets, he gets up, takes a shower and then puts his things in the washer. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it soon. I feel bad for him but don't know if there is anything we can do other than wait for his body to catch up with him.

You might also consider a cloth option as well - sometimes higher upfront cost, but then you're good until they grow out of them. Can also be made to make them fully absorbent enough, something some people struggle with disposables, still finding they leak.

I ran a business making and selling custom overnight underwear and infant cloth diapers too, but largest portion of my sales were for older children. I don't still make them but have a friend that does if anyone would like to pm me for contact info.