Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week eighteen

Robin M

I rarely, rarely buy books (use the library instead), but today when ds & I were leaving the library, I stopped to look at the donated books that were for sale. As I walked up to the shelf, I immediately spied one that has been on my to-read list for awhile (& which the library doesn't have) -- yipee! This may not seem like a big deal to those who often purchase books, but it is a super-rare treat for me. Plus, they were having a 'buy 2, get 1 free' day, so of course I had to find 2 other books. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif

What a nice treat. And now I know what I'll be reading while ds is at tennis class today! http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.gif

For the curious, the bought books are:

The Iron Will of Shoeshine Cats by Hesh Kestin (the one I was thrilled to find)

The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellegecq (not sure if I'll like it or not...)

In the Pond by Ha Jin

Just popping in to say hooray for all the books that I find through this group!

I happened upon Bitch in a Bonnet in the Kindle store, downloaded it and have been chortling, even laughing out loud, while reading it the last few days. The snarky, pop culture infused satirical commentary alone is wonderful but that there is also some very thoughtful analysis makes it such an unexpected pleasure. I also downloaded a more academic look at Austen's works, What Matters in Jane Austen by John Mullan, which discusses little details in the books, such as who gets called by their Christian name, and puts it into historical context and looks at what it means within the story. Not a page turner, by any stretch, but interesting nonetheless.

Just popping in to say hooray for all the books that I find through this group!

I happened upon Bitch in a Bonnet in the Kindle store, downloaded it and have been chortling, even laughing out loud, while reading it the last few days. The snarky, pop culture infused satirical commentary alone is wonderful but that there is also some very thoughtful analysis makes it such an unexpected pleasure. I also downloaded a more academic look at Austen's works, What Matters in Jane Austen by John Mullan, which discusses little details in the books, such as who gets called by their Christian name, and puts it into historical context and looks at what it means within the story. Not a page turner, by any stretch, but interesting nonetheless.

I bought that too when it was mentioned here. I haven't read it yet. I'm thinking I want to read the books he writes about again. It's been a couple years.

They all look really good. I am looking forward to your review on the "Iron will Shoeshine Cats" book. Books with cats have been happening to me all week--I may not have noticed before. I am intrigued but haven't had time to search my libraries yet! Happy reading:)

For the curious, the bought books are:

The Iron Will of Shoeshine Cats by Hesh Kestin (the one I was thrilled to find)

The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellegecq (not sure if I'll like it or not...)

In the Pond by Ha Jin

Finished 11th Hour by James Patterson yesterday. Started on the most current one in the series because it came in unexpectedly from the library. I'll be glad to be finished with James Patterson for awhile after this. Mercy, I feel dumber after having read so much of him in a row. :coolgleamA:

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. Zoo by James Patterson

20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell

21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife

22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika

23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson

24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins

25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons

26. 9th Judgement by James Patterson

27. 10th Anniversary by James Patterson

28. 11th Hour by James Patterson

Started Reading:

The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)

Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill (British author, DD class 200)

Still Reading:

The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership that Matters by Albert Mohler (American author, DD class 300)

The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story by D.A. Carson (Canadian author, DD class 200)

Finished:

17. God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible by Vaughan Roberts (British author, DD class 200)

16.The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley (Canadian Author, DD Class 800)

15.The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner (American author, DD class 900)

14. Prodigy by Marie Lu (Chinese author, DD class 800)

13. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (American author, DD class 900)

12. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean (American author, DD class 500)

11. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman (American Author, DD class 600)

10. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller (American author, DD class 200)

9. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (American author, DD class 300)

8. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald (American author, DD class 100)

7. The Bungalow by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)

6. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

5. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

4. The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies (Canadian author, DD class 600)

3. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Australian author, DD class 800)

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (English author, DD class 800)

1. The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch (German author, DD class 800)

Yesterday, I bought and finished (way TOO late) Love Irresistibly (FBI/U.S. Attorney) by Julie James. This is a contemporary romance; it's the fourth in a series of linked books but each book can stand alone. I enjoy this author's books very much as the conversations between the characters are often witty.

"HE’S USED TO GETTING WHAT HE WANTS…

A former football star and one of Chicago’s top prosecutors, Assistant U.S. Attorney Cade Morgan will do anything to nail a corrupt state senator, which means he needs Brooke Parker’s help. As general counsel for a restaurant company, she can get a bug to the senator’s table at one of her five-star restaurants so the FBI can eavesdrop on him. All Cade has to do is convince Brooke to cooperate—and he’s not afraid to use a little charm, or the power of his office, to do just that.

AND WHAT HE WANTS IS HER

A savvy businesswoman, Brooke knows she needs to play ball with the U.S. Attorney’s office—even if it means working with Cade. No doubt there’s a sizzling attraction beneath all their sarcastic quips, but Brooke is determined to keep things casual. Cade agrees—until a surprising turn of events throws his life into turmoil, and he realizes that he wants more than just a good time from the one woman with whom he could fall terrifyingly, irresistibly in love. . . "

Regards,

Kareni

I've actually been reading this week. So far I've read:

The Havard School of Medicine Guide to Tai Chi

The first three books Julia Quinn wrote. I can't remember the names.

One about super foods. Sheesh, they are all upstairs in my bed. I'm too lazy to go get them.

I have one more wellness book up. There to finish out the week

I just finished the third of three books by Jo Davis (actually books 2, 3, and 4 in The Firefighters of Station Five series). These are romantic suspense novels with a lot of heat (in more than one way -- they are not for the conservative). They made for pleasant reading, but I'm glad I got them from the library as I'll likely not re-read them.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol: Somehow, it seems very Murakamiesque that your book post would have ended up in the pet rats thread.

In case anyone hasn't finished 1Q84, you may want to skip reading my comments (spoilers ahead)...

I've been pondering my thoughts about this book. And, ultimately, the word I keep coming back to in relation to this book is... basket.

The construction of the story is woven like a basket. Murakami starts with various separate pieces, then starts weaving them together. As the story circles around & around, the weaving gets tighter, pulling all the pieces closer together while rotating again & again. (I realize that some have gotten bogged down in the repetition of the story, but I found it fascinating to watch his construction, to watch him carefully take one tiny design, include it somewhere else later, and continue sprinkling it through so that the final product produces a beautiful, cohesive design.)

The finished product is an epic, yet simple story, well-constructed. It is an impressive work created by a master craftsman. A universal story that, like baskets that have been used in most societies from ancient times to present day, can appeal across cultural divides, across time divides. Functional, useful, and beautiful at the same time. Universal themes such as love, ethics, religion, reality, and many more are woven into the story -- topics that would have been as appropriate a thousand years ago as they are today to people both far & wide. A design that is recognizable across cultures, yet has unique components that showcase Murakami's style & heritage too. And even though this story is like a modern-day basket, it pays homage to the ones before it, referencing some of the great works produced by artists, authors, and others from past times. A reflection of both old & new (& perhaps what is yet to come?).

And this book made me sure to look at the moon, more than once. And how can I not love a book that reminds me to be awed by the beauty of the moon? Our universal, shared moon... common to every person on the planet.

This is the third Murakami work I've read & I'd definitely rate it as the most mainstream of the ones I've read, yet it's not necessarily the one I'd recommend starting with if you've never read Murakami. Perhaps you can get a deeper appreciation for his skill if you're already a fan of his work. Otherwise, it might be to easy to dismiss 1Q84 as simple or basic, when in reality it may look simple, but is really a masterpiece created by a world-class artist.

Ironically, I was a bit surprised by the (happy) ending. Because, even though I saw the story being crafted through hundreds of pages, I was still unsure if Aomame & Tengo were heading toward happiness or not.... Did fate lead them there or was it their free-will? Once I saw where Aomame's & Tengo's stories ended in this book, I have to believe they will overcome any adversities they meet & enjoy a happy future together. They have already weathered the adverse, the strange, the mundane to get to the end, or beginning, of their story together. Time is a circle, watched over by the moon.

And, yes, I will miss Ushikawa too.

Very well said, Stacia - love the analogy of the basket. Hits the mark exactly. I waited to read your comments until I finished 1Q84 which arrived yesterday and I finished it today. This was my first Murakami story and I loved it. I didn't mind the repetition at all. There are some books that are just so filled with, well filler, that I'll skim through to get to the meat. However, with 1Q84 I didn't find myself skimming at all. It was all meat imho and enjoyed every single bit of it. Although now I have the urge to read Proust. :tongue_smilie:

I finished Freshwater Road, and give it 5 stars.

My goodreads review:

Freshwater Road is about a black college student from Detroit who goes to Mississippi as a civil rights activist during Freedom Summer. Celeste Tyree deals with culture shock and the unbelievable prejudice prevalent in the south at that time, as well as her relationship with her parents, especially her mother.

Nicholas skillfully weaves fact and fiction, and it's easy to believe that any of the characters in Freshwater Road could have been real people in Mississippi during that tumultuous summer of 1964.

I realized that I missed the release of One for the Wicked: A Dark Mission Novel by Karina Cooper on Tuesday! It might be a long night tonight. ;)

In this thrilling finale to Karina Cooper’s Dark Mission series, New Seattle’s witches will rise again…or fall forever.

Dr. Kayleigh Lauderdale possesses the only cure for what's killing the city's witches. Desperate to acquire it, the resistance sends their best agent, but Shawn Lowehas his own agenda and it doesn't include saving anyone—least of all, the daughter of his sworn enemy. He has to ignore the blistering attraction he feels the instant they meet, because he can't give in until he gets what he wants. He just never counted on wanting her . . .

Kayleigh can't believe how out of control Shawn makes her feel. He lies to her with one breath and excites her beyond reason with the next. A reckless encounter could steal her heart, while the danger hovering over the city may prove too much for either of them to handle. When the world turns upside down, it will take everything Kayleigh and Shawn have to hold on . . . to life, to hope, to each other.

I recently finished Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann. I'd read a number of her books years ago but had fallen out of the habit. I'd classify this book as a paranormal romantic suspense novel. The paranormal aspect is not vampires and werewolves but rather individuals with telepathic and telekinetic skills.

"In the near future, as America endures its second Great Depression, former Navy SEAL Shane Laughlin finds work as a test subject at the Obermeyer Institute, only to be plunged into a strange world where mild-mannered scientists can kick his highly skilled ass. These “Greater-Thans†undergo rigorous training to master unique abilities—including telekinesis, super strength, and reversal of the aging process—by accessing untapped regions of the brain. But for the rich and reckless, there’s a quick, seductive alternative: Destiny, a highly addictive designer drug that can make anyone a Greater-Than—for a lethal price.

Michelle “Mac†Mackenzie is determined to end the scourge of Destiny. As one of OI’s crack operatives, she’s learned to wield her powers responsibly. But she’s knocked for a loop when she meets the new test subject: Shane, the same smoldering stranger who just rocked her world in a one-night stand. Mac’s got reasons to keep her distance from him—and reasons that are just as strong to want him close. She’s used to risking her life, but now, in the midst of the ultimate war on drugs, she must face sacrificing her heart."

I enjoyed the book.

Regards,

Kareni

Yeah! I read and lurved every single book from her troubleshooter series Just downloaded Born to Darkness. Thanks!

I recently finished Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann. I'd read a number of her books years ago but had fallen out of the habit. I'd classify this book as a paranormal romantic suspense novel. The paranormal aspect is not vampires and werewolves but rather individuals with telepathic and telekinetic skills.

"In the near future, as America endures its second Great Depression, former Navy SEAL Shane Laughlin finds work as a test subject at the Obermeyer Institute, only to be plunged into a strange world where mild-mannered scientists can kick his highly skilled ass. These “Greater-Thans†undergo rigorous training to master unique abilities—including telekinesis, super strength, and reversal of the aging process—by accessing untapped regions of the brain. But for the rich and reckless, there’s a quick, seductive alternative: Destiny, a highly addictive designer drug that can make anyone a Greater-Than—for a lethal price.

Michelle “Mac†Mackenzie is determined to end the scourge of Destiny. As one of OI’s crack operatives, she’s learned to wield her powers responsibly. But she’s knocked for a loop when she meets the new test subject: Shane, the same smoldering stranger who just rocked her world in a one-night stand. Mac’s got reasons to keep her distance from him—and reasons that are just as strong to want him close. She’s used to risking her life, but now, in the midst of the ultimate war on drugs, she must face sacrificing her heart."

I enjoyed the book.

Regards,

Kareni

Gosh this story sounds very familiar, but it's not in my library. Interesting...

I'm still plugging away with 1Q84. I think the only thing keeping me going now is that I want to read Stacia's review, but I don't want to read it until I'm finished with the book. I want to be able to know what she is talking about! LOL Thank goodness for audio books in the car, or I wouldn't be getting any other reading done! :D

Finished this week:

#26 The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I'd never read this before, and the Audible recording narrated by Jake Gyllenhaal was (and still is) only $4.86, so I decided to try it out. Fitzgerald's prose is exquisite, and really drew me in, though I found the story itself rather disturbing (but also thought-provoking).

#27 A Landscape with Dragons: The Battle for Your Child's Mind by Michael D. O'Brien - lots of food for thought here, too. And a long book list at the end (always a plus for a book-loving, homeschooling mom). :)

I finished book 5, The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan, Friday night. Another excellent read! It is my 5th chunkster :D I hope that I have time to read this summer. I want to finish all 14 this year, and I'm on pace for one a month. I need to at least double up one month ;)

I also read this week Meet Kit, Kit Learns a Lesson, and Kit's Surprise. My dd is doing an American Girl book club with 3 friends. They weren't getting very far on their own, so I was trying to give them some direction with some things to talk about and activities to tie into the books. Therefore, I needed to read the books. I had read a couple of the Felicity books, but I think I like the Kit story better. When I finish all of them, I'm going to count the treasury as one book to pad my pitiful number.

5. The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

4. The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

3. The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

2. The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

1. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Want to know what I love? Going to the library book sale and finding children's classics on my wishlist.

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (not sure if it's counted as a classic but I wanted it)

The Family Under the Bridge

The Incredible Journey

and I bought Angels & Demons by Dan Brown for me. Yes, I know it's been around forever. I've never gotten to it.

I also found How to be a Gentleman by John Bridges I saw mentioned on this forum a few weeks ago (a whopping 50 cnts!)

And last night, while walking through Barnes & Noble to get to my car while chanting, "I'm not going to buy anything, I'm not going to buy anything," I spotted out of the corner of my eye a little book of quotes of Jane Austen. It's called The Wicked Wit of Jane Austen and hello who could pass that up? It was on the clearance table. I then bought a container of Haagen-Dazs to accompany said book. (Actually, I ended up with 2 pints of Haagen-Dazs but only because it was buy one get one free so I *had* to get two.)

This week I finished:

17. Outlander-I read this many years ago, but this time I listened to the audiobook. It took me forever to get through it, but Davina Porter is so great that I didn't mind. I started on Dragonfly In Amber, also audio read by Davina Porter.

18. History of the Ancient World-I learned so so much from this book. I'll start on History of the Medieval World tomorrow, hoping to finish before History of the Renaissance World comes out.

So far this year:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey (****)

2. The Great Gatsby (*****)

3. The Night Circus (*****)

4. A Study in Scarlet (****)

5. The Red Pyramid (***)

6. The Throne of Fire (***)

7. The Perks of Being A Wallflower (****)

8. The Serpent's Shadow (***)

9. D'Aulaire's Norse Myths (****)

10. Odd and the Frost Giants (****)

11. King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table (***)

12. A Storm of Swords (****)

13. Robin Hood (***)

14. Started Early, Took My Dog (*****)

15. Redwall (****)

16. Life After Life (*****)

17. Outlander (****)

18. History of the Ancient World (****)

I read Broken Glass Park and really loved it at first, but then it fizzled out - 2 Stars.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, Negin. I really enjoyed that gritty book. I'd agree that the second half is not as strong as the first half, but somehow it seemed realistic to me in how a teen in those circumstances might behave -- not necessarily the choices I would make, or even choices that always make sense, but choices that reflected the character really well, imo.

hope to start Wuthering Heights tomorrow

My condolences....

I finished The Wind up Bird Chronicle last night. Loved it. Definitely a 5 star. The book was surreal, yet earth-bound at the same time, dealing with difficult topics in such a new way. I am getting used to books having so many loose ends, but there are a few I would have liked tied up.

Ushikawa is in interesting character.

I don't think you can have a quick summary of the ending of a Murakami book, especially 1Q84.

Ohhh. I still need to read The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

I loved reading your thoughts on 1Q84. Well said!

Thank you.

Excellent review!

My thought about Ushikawa was that he had a rough year, since Wind-up Bird takes place in 1984 too.

1Q84 was the first book I read by Murakami, and I still loved it, but I do think you can appreciate it more if you've read some of his other works. I may have to reread it someday.

Is Ushikawa in The Wind Up Bird Chronicle? (If so, I didn't realize the Murakami uses characters across books...???)

I really liked Tamaru in 1Q84.

For the Judge A Book By Its Cover mini challenge

I still need to do that one....

The guy at the bookstore was a hoot though. He was your sterotypical overweight, mid-40's geek and his was BEYOND tickled when I asked him where this book was!! "No one ever wants these great old books anymore!!" You could sense that he was tired of hunting down YA Vampire Porn for giggly teens.

Love it. I can bet he was thrilled to have a customer like you!

I looked up "Ringworm" at first. :lol: I put it on my list. Ringworld not Ringworm.

Me too. (Like minds think alike?) LOL.

I'll be glad to be finished with James Patterson for awhile after this. Mercy, I feel dumber after having read so much of him in a row. :coolgleamA:

:lol:

Very well said, Stacia - love the analogy of the basket. Hits the mark exactly. I waited to read your comments until I finished 1Q84 which arrived yesterday and I finished it today. This was my first Murakami story and I loved it. I didn't mind the repetition at all. There are some books that are just so filled with, well filler, that I'll skim through to get to the meat. However, with 1Q84 I didn't find myself skimming at all. It was all meat imho and enjoyed every single bit of it. Although now I have the urge to read Proust. :tongue_smilie:

So glad you loved 1Q84 too, Robin. Perhaps you can prod me into trying Proust (just not yet).... LOL.

I'm still plugging away with 1Q84. I think the only thing keeping me going now is that I want to read Stacia's review, but I don't want to read it until I'm finished with the book. I want to be able to know what she is talking about! LOL Thank goodness for audio books in the car, or I wouldn't be getting any other reading done! :D

:blush: Well, my review focuses much more on his structure of the book vs. the details of the story itself. (But I do mention the ending the book.) As you know, I often advocate dumping books if you're reading for pleasure & are just not into them. (At least that's what I usually do, lol.)

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, Negin. I really enjoyed that gritty book. I'd agree that the second half is not as strong as the first half, but somehow it seemed realistic to me in how a teen in those circumstances might behave -- not necessarily the choices I would make, or even choices that always make sense, but choices that reflected the character really well, imo.

Stacia, I really loved it at first. I guess that I had my hopes set up that I would love it as much as The Dragon Tattoo series. You're right that it seemed very realistic as far as how a teen might behave. I'm very happy that I read it :). I just wanted more towards the end.

:blush: Well, my review focuses much more on his structure of the book vs. the details of the story itself. (But I do mention the ending the book.) As you know, I often advocate dumping books if you're reading for pleasure & are just not into them. (At least that's what I usually do, lol.)

I completely agree about dumping a book you just really don't like. And there in lies the problem. I do like the story, and I want to know what happens. I am just not used to an author being soooooo wordy! LOL I feel like the pacing of the book is off somehow. I read 50 pages, but feel like I have gotten next to nowhere in the story. This book is the ultimate slow burn. And I should know, I've read a lot of fanfiction angst. :tongue_smilie:

Stacia, I really loved it at first. I guess that I had my hopes set up that I would love it as much as The Dragon Tattoo series. You're right that it seemed very realistic as far as how a teen might behave. I'm very happy that I read it :). I just wanted more towards the end.

Ah, well, I know how much you love the Dragon Tattoo series, so I think it would be extremely hard to find something that is as good. LOL. ;) :001_smile:

I was wondering just the other day how it could have been so long since I'd seen one of these threads. :confused1:

I've had a horrible cough for weeks,

I've been missing you here, Rosie. It had seemed like you were awfully quiet lately. Hope you feel better soon! :grouphug: