Menu

Highschool math!!

There has got to be a math curriculum that gives good explanations.

I am at my wits end with Abeka math this year. I can't help my son to

understand a lot of it and to try to take the time to show him every

problem is just about impossible. This is a child whose best and

favorite subject was math up until this year. I don't know what happened

with Abeka, but I can't believe they don't give explanations with the samples

they give. Does anyone have a textbook that they would recommend

using that gives details in math? I am even looking for something for

Geometry and Algebra 2.

Sorry for ranting.

We're using Art Of Problem Solving. They're difficult, but between the videos and the books they are quite good and teach very well. We've gotten into a pattern of every Friday doing the review/challenge from a previous chapter. It gives my kid a chance to see exactly how the math is building on itself.

You also might want to look into something like Patty Paper Geometry, where the hands on combines with the higher math and gives them concrete proof of the abstract problems.

I am the fifteen-year-old son of Homeschooler of 8. We use Professor B math. I love their Power Algebra, though they don't have a geometry course. I have finished Algebra 1 with hardly any help from Mom. Each lesson builds on what I learned in the last. It teaches logically, starting with the basics, and is easy to comprehend. Using it, a student masters a technique before he moves on to something else. If you are interested, you can visit the Professor B site at http://www.profb.com.

Jann in TX (a math teacher that posts on the high school board) has discussed this multiple times. She has explained that Abeka's high school math courses presume a teacher directly teaching the material.

I would recommend looking at Foerster, Dolciani, or Lials. I have no experience with the latter 2. Foersters contains excellent explanations. (his texts are for algs and pre-cal/cal, but no geo). For geo I like the explanations in Geometry, by Daniel Alexander and Geralyn Koeberlein (Houghton Mifflin Company, 2007)

HTH

My 17yo says that the very best explanations she has seen anywhere are in Kinetic Books. They only have Prealgebra, Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II right now, but hopefully they will add in more levels.

Lial's also has pretty good explanations, although they are not as good as Kinetic Books has.

This looks great, but it doesn't come with a textbook right?

Is it possible to pay for it and still use it for my daughter when

she gets into Algebra?

in the meantime, can you find the explanations on Khan Academy for those Algebra topics? We have used that a few times for confusing "how-to" topics and found those to be very very good.for the high school level topics.

Actually this is great!!! Is there somewhere on there that I am missing where

it shows how to do word problems with Algebra?

I am the fifteen-year-old son of Homeschooler of 8. We use Professor B math. I love their Power Algebra, though they don't have a geometry course. I have finished Algebra 1 with hardly any help from Mom. Each lesson builds on what I learned in the last. It teaches logically, starting with the basics, and is easy to comprehend. Using it, a student masters a technique before he moves on to something else. If you are interested, you can visit the Professor B site at http://www.profb.com.

This sounds great but I can't find any sample pages.

My math hating son (16yr) changed to enjoy math once we switched to Teaching textbooks. He says they explain things so he can understand. If he is still stumped he can view hints. So far he went from a borderline passing to making A's now. He even says math is one of his favorite subjects now.

We did try AOPS before TT (I really liked AOPS) but the teaching method was different. They give you problems to wrestle through first, then explain the answers and better ways of working out the problems or common errors you make while solving the problems. They make you think in a math way which is great but if your child does not think in a math way naturally it is really hard.

My math hating son (16yr) changed to enjoy math once we switched to Teaching textbooks. He says they explain things so he can understand. If he is still stumped he can view hints. So far he went from a borderline passing to making A's now. He even says math is one of his favorite subjects now.

We did try AOPS before TT (I really liked AOPS) but the teaching method was different. They give you problems to wrestle through first, then explain the answers and better ways of working out the problems or common errors you make while solving the problems. They make you think in a math way which is great but if your child does not think in a math way naturally it is really hard.

For some reason I was always under the assumption and someone had told me, that you had to

buy the books and the cds. Then today I see that I could buy the textbook by itself. Is there enough

explanations in the textbook for me to do just that?

I would recommend looking at Foerster, Dolciani, or Lials. I have no experience with the latter 2.

My 14yo is doing great on her own with Lial's Basic College Math, and I am working through Introductory Algebra for review since I have yet to find a solutions manual :( It has the same layout as BCM with good explanations.

FWIW, there are algebra videos regarding word problems here (see chapters 3 and 5).

More algebra 1 videos: http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gotoWebCode&wcprefix=ate&wcsuffix=0775 (I don't see word problems listed as a specific video lesson topic)

No great advice because I have my own struggles with ds and algebra but I was wondering do you have the full solutions manual or the teacher key for the abeka? Things here have improved greatly with the full solutions. Bought cheap on ebay. This might help finish this year.

For Prof B I think the online is vastly different from the books. I have never used online but dd did do the first Power Algebra book. She loved it. But it was a lot of problems and writing. Ds will not do it and we did try.

For some reason I was always under the assumption and someone had told me, that you had to

buy the books and the cds. Then today I see that I could buy the textbook by itself. Is there enough

explanations in the textbook for me to do just that?

I honestly do not know. We bought the set but ds has only used the CDs. Supposedly the text is word for word with the CDs but I have not looked.

If you go on Khan Academy and put "Word Problems" in the search box, there are a bunch of videos for how to set up and solve various types of word problems. If the problem is how to set up the equations when solving word problems, the videos on the CA Algebra 1 test in Khan Academy walk thru a really good explanation for how to get from problems like: "Two planes leave the airport traveling in opposite directions" to an equation and then a solution.

http://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/california-standards-test/algebra-i/v/ca-algebra-i--more-word-problems

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also going to suggest Teaching Textbooks. After four months of struggling with different programs AND a tutor, my daughter finally was able to do Algebra with the TT. She used TT for all four years of high school and math turned out to be her strongest subject.