Menu

How's the Spring Storm Affecting You?

laughing lioness

We had intermittent power (mostly off) for 2 days and finally headed to a motel yesterday (2nd to last room of the 6th hotel I called). No pool, but lights and heat. How the pioneers ever made it in the Territories is beyond me! We're staying tonight, too..10's of power lines down all over the palce.

We had 5/8 "ice and several inches of snow on top of it...

How is it in your neck of the woods?

We were woken yesterday morning at five in the morning by one of the scariest noises I've ever heard. Turned out it was a power surge- three of them in a quick sequence and then the power was out. Fortunately, we have a gas fireplace and a gas water heater, and we hunkered down. Power came back on just before noon.

I don't think I've ever experienced an ice storm- it sure was pretty out there, but our community was hit hard- tons of branches and trees down, and there are still people without power. As I watched outside, I'd see huge chunks of ice falling off trees and eaves- no one was allowed out.

We are still prepared to lose power again. We have the camp kitchen set up on our screen porch, and jugs of ice at the ready to plunk into the fridge. We're in for another round today, but so far it seems to just be rain.

We are south of the worst, but still:

Young child up half the night, not feeling well (much better this morning, after the storm past)

Cat extra clingy -- sat on me most of the night when I wasn't up with young child

"that time of the month" hit, and as tends to happen with active weather changes things got "extra interesting".... (bleh)

Friend grateful her shop didn't flood, like it did in the last storm

Realizing I get extra kids this afternoon with the yard in no good shape for outside play (and me still "bleh")

All in all we fared well, all things considered. Grateful our hassles are so small.

We've had warnings of potentially severe weather over the last few days. First it was expected to come last night, then overnight, then early this morning... the rain finally arrived around 10am this morning. There were a couple of rumbles of thunder around 2. It was breezy yesterday, so I secured everything on our balcony, but the wind pretty much died down today. The temperature went from 85 yesterday to 65 today. I am thankful that we were spared any major storms and the rain is very much needed, but it seemed like quite a build up given the end result.

Other than the 35 degree temperature drop, we were spared most of the storm. I guess the rest of the metro area was hit hard by winds and small tornadoes, but we just got a little bit of rain, thunder, and lightning. 'Tis the season.

Everyone with snow can keep it. I'm done with snow.

How is it in your neck of the woods?

DRY! We are desperate for rain. We have had about 1.5cm in 4 summer months! Pretty dire. Great for BBQs, not so good for the 100 plants I planted in January. I have been saving and carrying grey water for a full month since the outdoor watering ban. And I might add that 20 of the plants I planted are down 108 steps from my house so carrying buckets of dish water has been quite a hassle!

Ruth in NZ

I am putting swimmies on my horses. We had a terrible drought last summer and we got more rain in 1 day than we did all of last summer. I think we are up to 5+ inches this week with rain predicted 7 out of the next 8 days. Temps yesterday were hovering about 34 and windy so a cold, wet, mucky mess..............but I am NOT going to complain as we need the rain so bad, just wish it was spread out a little bit more.

We are running 15-20 degrees below normal temps too.

What sounded like a lightening strike awoke me this morning. I literally sat upright in bed and said "What the...?" Talk about rude awakenings!

But the power is on and hopefully will remain so. When we first moved here, severe storms usually meant a power loss. Our electric lines are now buried, minimizing inconvenience particularly during hurricane season.

Sending best wishes to those of you are inconvenienced by ice and snow in April or worried about tornadoes.

Jane (who awaits strawberry season!)