Menu

Orange paint?

Quiver0f10

I want to paint our school room. The room has a 18 foot ceiling and is 20X22. There are 4 windows so it gets a lot of sunlight. I really wanted to do a dark orange but now I am not so sure. I painted a sample square on one wall and I like it, but my oldest said that no one likes orange and that people will hate it. This is the color. .Opinions? paint.jpg The golden color below is the color she wants me to use and I just don't know. I think it's way too bright.:golden.jpg

I want to paint our school room. The room has a 18 foot ceiling and is 20X22. There are 4 windows so it gets a lot of sunlight. I really wanted to do a dark orange but now I am not so sure. I painted a sample square on one wall and I like it, but my oldest said that no one likes orange and that people will hate it. This is the color. .Opinions? paint.jpg The golden color below is the color she wants me to use and I just don't know:golden.jpg

I actually painted our school room the lighter orange (bottom choice). The room was bright and had lots of wood from bookshelves and white wainscoting (think this is how it is spelled). I liked it. Felt cheery even on cold yucky days.

I'd love to see it!

For some reason, iPad keeps failing on the upload. If I can't get it to work, I'll try to download a pic from my regular camera tomorrow. :)

ETA - funny, the orange in our dining room is adjacent to a gold color very similar to those 2 samples together! My orange is a little orangier, I think.

This is fairly dark. You might first try a shade on the same card but several levels darker. Or do one wall in this and the others in the lighter version. You can see the color of my living room in my pic behind my son- BRIGHT green. The other side of the room is orange. The kitchen (opens into the living) is scandinavian blue. It's kind of like a toned-down Gobstopper set of colors. I only say all that to say, I'm not afraid of color! Your orange there just looks a bit dark to me.

My teaching studio is Caramel Sundae by Behr. It's a mild orange, kind of scan-design-ish.

http://www.homedepot...30#.UVT6yVtASwA

ETA: It looks less tan & more colorful in real life. Turquoise or scan blue accents look awesome.

This is fairly dark. You might first try a shade on the same card but several levels darker. Or do one wall in this and the others in the lighter version. You can see the color of my living room in my pic behind my son- BRIGHT green. The other side of the room is orange. The kitchen (opens into the living) is scandinavian blue. It's kind of like a toned-down Gobstopper set of colors. I only say all that to say, I'm not afraid of color! Your orange there just looks a bit dark to me.

My teaching studio is Caramel Sundae by Behr. It's a mild orange, kind of scan-design-ish.

http://www.homedepot...30#.UVT6yVtASwA

ETA: It looks less tan & more colorful in real life. Turquoise or scan blue accents look awesome.

Thank you!

I love the color you picked. We painted our living room Greenfield Pumpkin from Benjamin Moore. It is similar to your shade. Our house is for sale now and we have had several compliments on that room. I love how warm it feels and hope to use it again. We have gold and red accents. Oh, and our room has windows on three sides and is very bright.

I love the color you picked. We painted our living room Greenfield Pumpkin from Benjamin Moore. It is similar to your shade. Our house is for sale now and we have had several compliments on that room. I love how warm it feels and hope to use it again. We have gold and red accents. Oh, and our room has windows on three sides and is very bright.

I really like that too!

I don't know if the colors are showing up accurately on my computer, but I don't love either color. One is too dark and the other is too bright. If I had to decide between the two of them, I'd go with the darker one, because I think I'd get very sick of the brighter one, very quickly.

Personally, I'd choose something a bit lighter and more neutral, but I'm kind of boring that way. (All I know is that whenever I choose a super-dark shade, it feels glamorous at first and then it's just sort of depressing, and the super-bright colors grate on my nerves after a little while.)

Personally, I'd go with something more calming for a school room. Maybe it's just my kids, but I don't think they would concentrate well in an orange room. I would go with either a bright cool color or a fairly neutral shade of a warm color. I saw a nice school room the other day that was between sky blue and aqua with white trim and furniture. There were built-ins and a lot of windows, so there wasn't really much wall showing. It worked well.

I don't know if the colors are showing up accurately on my computer, but I don't love either color. One is too dark and the other is too bright. If I had to decide between the two of them, I'd go with the darker one, because I think I'd get very sick of the brighter one, very quickly.

Personally, I'd choose something a bit lighter and more neutral, but I'm kind of boring that way. (All I know is that whenever I choose a super-dark shade, it feels glamorous at first and then it's just sort of depressing, and the super-bright colors grate on my nerves after a little while.)

I think that's what my problem is , the dark is too dark and the lighter way too bright. So far I have 4 different sample spots painted in that room and I like none of them LOL

Personally, I'd go with something more calming for a school room. Maybe it's just my kids, but I don't think they would concentrate well in an orange room. I would go with either a bright cool color or a fairly neutral shade of a warm color. I saw a nice school room the other day that was between sky blue and aqua with white trim and furniture. There were built-ins and a lot of windows, so there wasn't really much wall showing. It worked well.

Good point. Guess I am heading back to Lowes today LOL

My living room is Behr pumpkin bread, which looks similar to the darker choice you put up (browser colors being variable and all). I consider it neutral. We have a red couch and a navy background chair with multicolored squares in here. Trim is white (as it is throughout the house), and I can see into the goldenrod kitchen and grass green foyer from here I am. It all works very well.

This is my very favorite room color ever. Dd20 chose it. I thought it would be horrid. It tends to change color through the day. It is more orange than my computer is showing, but it is one of the shades it goes through as the day goes along. Her bed is whitewashed pine, other furniture midtone wood, pictures in jewel tones. Honestly, I love, love, love her room.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.myperfectcolor.com/repositories/images/colors/MPC00058682-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/58682_Martha-Stewart-8368-Punch&h=500&w=500&sz=7&tbnid=mDTnbfbqrncmxM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmartha%2Bstewart%2Bpunch%2Bpaint%2Bcolor%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=martha+stewart+punch+paint+color&usg=__V6QSRPrtkrGVZE7ap1_66hHDECU=&docid=ZJxLjFVQmrDh8M&sa=X&ei=5YRVUfubJI_j4APs0YGoCA&ved=0CDwQ9QEwAg&dur=921

Dd18b also chose orange for her room. It is more of a true orange, orange. I had my doubts about it, but it also looks fantastic. She has off white trim (whole house), black shelves, black iron bed, and darker wood furniture. She has a sloped ceiling in her room that keeps the orange almost completely to 3 walls. I think that helps it not to be too overwhelming.

Orange is a hard color to choose. The bottom color will look like mustard on the wall, we did almost the same color in our previous classroom. We did a red accent wall. The red turned out great, the yellow, not so much. We called it the ketchup and mustard room until dh toned down the yellow.

Orange is difficult because it can look pink or muddy depending upon lighting. We did a pumpkin orange in ds's room when he was a kid, it was loud but great. You almost need to try a sample in the room to see how the light will play with it. I think you can go with a deeper tone that isn't so brown, but not so bright.

I think that's what my problem is , the dark is too dark and the lighter way too bright. So far I have 4 different sample spots painted in that room and I like none of them LOL

I'm the same way -- it's so hard for me to choose a color! I know everyone says, "It's just paint, and if you don't like it, you can paint a new color right over it," but painting is a PAIN, so I want to get it right the first time!!!

I usually like the paint colors at Restoration Hardware, because they're not too intense. I also like it that they don't have 900 colors to choose from.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/search/results.jsp?query=paint&hidden=&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=go

Most recently, we've been buying the Aura paint by Benjamin Moore because it has no odor, and also because it has amazing coverage and a very pretty finish, but the color choices can be pretty overwhelming (at least for me!)

Orange is a hard color to choose. The bottom color will look like mustard on the wall, we did almost the same color in our previous classroom. We did a red accent wall. The red turned out great, the yellow, not so much. We called it the ketchup and mustard room until dh toned down the yellow.

Orange is difficult because it can look pink or muddy depending upon lighting. We did a pumpkin orange in ds's room when he was a kid, it was loud but great. You almost need to try a sample in the room to see how the light will play with it. I think you can go with a deeper tone that isn't so brown, but not so bright.

The bottom color does look like mustard in the dark so I just know I will hate it. Right now while it's sunny out it looks nice, but last night not so much.

The darker orange doesn't seem as cheery and the lighter color, to me, is way too bright.

I don't think I would mind this orange. It does look peachy in the sun and darker in the shade. Still, it's very cheerful.

95f90d6a78957524863ffda13035fcfe.jpg

I really like that color, but my DH would not like it at all LOL

I'm the same way -- it's so hard for me to choose a color! I know everyone says, "It's just paint, and if you don't like it, you can paint a new color right over it," but painting is a PAIN, so I want to get it right the first time!!!

I usually like the paint colors at Restoration Hardware, because they're not too intense. I also like it that they don't have 900 colors to choose from.

http://www.restorati...=0&go.y=0&go=go

Most recently, we've been buying the Aura paint by Benjamin Moore because it has no odor, and also because it has amazing coverage and a very pretty finish, but the color choices can be pretty overwhelming (at least for me!)

This room is huge so I don't want to paint it more than once LOL

Get samples of both shades. Either paint large (at least 3 feet by 3 feet) swaths on the wall, or paint boards (not cardboard!) you can move about and prop up or hang. Leave a gap between the colors -- not directly side by side. Then live with them for days -- view them in all kinds of lighting conditions, see how each makes you feel.

What looks good on the card or at someone else's house will look different in your own home. Also, different rooms/spaces with different lighting (and lighting changes throughout the day) can change how the paint looks. My in-laws are fixing up a place to move to for retirement. You'd think they painted several different colors throughout the house, but it's all the same. The changes in lighting are just that dramatic.

Get samples of both shades. Either paint large (at least 3 feet by 3 feet) swaths on the wall, or paint boards (not cardboard!) you can move about and prop up or hang. Leave a gap between the colors -- not directly side by side. Then live with them for days -- view them in all kinds of lighting conditions, see how each makes

I remember reading that idea online, to paint boards with sample colors. Then put them around the room and look at them throughout the day and night time, on sunny and cloudy days, etc. Color really does change with lighting! Our electrician thought I had painted the space where the refrigerator goes a different shade of green than the rest of the kitchen just because of the way the light hit it.

i would use one color on the ceiling, and one color on the walls...if you put the darker color on the ceiling, and the brighter one on the walls...you could distress it with some wood stain, if you have a really neat texture...and that would mute the brightness of the lighter color.

i have a similar color scheme in my bedroom, but with the lighter color on the ceiling..and i distressed the coppery-orange with wood stain, but we have hand trowled texture..i wouldn't try to distress a smooth texture or crows foot..just knock-down or hand-trowled. anyway i like the colors very much..my school room is distressed raisin with a khaki ceiling, and i like it very much.