Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week thirteen

Robin M

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never posted in the "book a week" thread, but I have been reading your conversations. Thought I'd finally share.

21. I'm currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I am thoroughly enjoying it, and I am about 2/3 of the way through. I generally do not like novels when I dislike or do not understand the characters. This book is proving to be an anomoly though. I despise most of the characters, with the exception of Roark, but do really find the book thought-provoking. I hate Dominique (isn't her name similar to Dominate?). I hate Ellsworth with a passion. Keating is pathetic. But, I am starting to kind of like Gail Wynand. We will see if that lasts.

20. I just finished Spillover by Quammen. This book was much more interesting than I thought it might be. The book is about zoonotic diseases/viruses , those that spill over from animals to human. The book covered diseases/viruses such as Lyme, HIV, Hendra, Marburg, and Ebola. The most interesting thing I learned was that many scientists now believe that the "spillover" of HIV from animals occurred around the turn of the century, and that HIV made its way to America 10 years before we discovered that it was here. The other aspect of the book that was interesting was that the author highlighted the work of veternarians and ecologists. He made the point that they have contributed in an outstanding way to infectious disease research, often on the frontlines.

19. Lilith's Brood by Butler*****

Oh..my..goodness. The last time I had such a reaction to a book was when I read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Lilith's Brood is quite an odd book. It stretched my ability to remain detached and open. It was uncomfortable, yet compelling. I think I felt exactly like the characters in the book many times. What makes us human? What can I live without-or with-and yet still remain myself? How much loyalty do I feel to the human race? Weird and wonderful questions... A weird and highly recommended book.

18. Microbe Hunters by de Kruif

17. Cobra Event by Preston

16. The Demon in the Freezer by Preston

15. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Simonson

14. Moonseed by Baxter

13. Ark by Baxter

12. The Cassandra Project by McDevitt

11.The Passage by Cronin

10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Skloot*****

9. The Wool Omnibus by Howey

8. The Companions by Tepper

7. Flame of Sevenwaters by Marillier

6. Zoe's Tale by Scalzi

5.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Kesey

4. Pandora's Star by Hamilton

3. The Naked God by Hamilton

2. Grass by Tepper

1. The Neutronium Alchemist by Hamilton

If I *****starred a book, I highly recommend it

If I don't star it, I thought it was pretty good.

If I give it a sad face, :( I don't like it at all.

I’m also a complete failure at challenges this year. I intended to do the chunkster challenge, Canadian author challenge, Book vs Movie, and Catholic books. So far I’ve only done one chunkster and that’s it. I should have been realistic and agreed to Agatha Christie a month challenge along with Brit Lit. That I could have done.

I responded to this a few hours ago but just as I hit Post, the forums poofed. I'll try again.

I'm only doing 2 challenges, and I adjusted them to work for me.

1. The dusty book challenge for me means at the beginning of each month I have to read a dusty book before I can start on something newer. Since I read mostly on my Kindle, my dusty books are ones that have been in my archives 6 months or longer.

2. I'm also doing the chunkster challenge, but only have to read one per quarter. So by the end of the year I should have read 4 chunksters. Many of the older ones such as Anna Karenina and The Count of Monte Cristo were originally published as serials anyway, so I figure the people at the time weren't reading them quickly either. I'm not in a race to read them as quickly as I can - I have my fluff books for that.

There's no shame in adjusting your challenges throughout the year either. IMO reading goals should be like any other goal: realistic (attainable).

Oops. I thought you knew it was a horror/comedy! I thought it was hilarious, but I was in the mood for something weird, creepy, and funny. I can see how it might be a shock if you didn't realize you were delving into a 'horror' book.... (Normally, I don't read horror, but I do try to read creepy/scary/horror type books during the month of October, which is when I found & read this one....)

Not a problem. I'm actually glad that I didn't know, or I would have missed out. Now that I have had time to digest it some, I think I've decided I like it. Yes, some parts made me a little uncomfortable, but even those parts were resolved once I got to the end and realized where the story was going. Looking back on the style, how the author kept up the tension, and then being completely surprised (though now that I think about it, why didn't I see that coming?!) by one, ok, two certain aspects of the plot... I think I am going to end up actually loving it. I want to see the movie now. LOL

Of course, all these warm and fuzzy feelings could be coming from me just finishing up Much Ado About Nothing :wub: . I am looking forward to reading This Book is Full of Spiders, though. I still think I want to read one more something before delving into it. Now where's that Dean Koontz I had lying around here... :tongue_smilie:

Here's what I finished:

#15 - Saint Maybe, by Anne Tyler. Typical; page turner; easy read.

#16 - I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High, by Tony Danza. Saw this mentioned on one of these threads and was intrigued with the concept. An easy-read. Kind of like his awakening as to what the education system is like and what the children *need*. Insights into his character were interesting . . . who would think he would cry so easily? His year of teaching began as a "reverse reality show" - no setting up the scenes - film the reality and build the program around it. He was adamant about that and a few months into the school year, the show pulled the plug on the show - so with no more cameras, his teaching experience is truly the real thing. Eventually, they did produce a few episodes from those first months and I watched one of them online. I thought it made Tony Danza appear very unsure of himself (which he readily admits in the book) but also too much of a talker to presumably hide his nervousness or cover his embarrassment or prove his point of view. Now, what really stands out about this book isn't so much the story, but rather that it is my first book read on a Kindle! Needed to learn to use Kindle for work and, while I much prefer to hold a real book in my hand, I can also see the benefits to using this. I'm planning to borrow another Kindle book before long.

Currently reading:

#17 - Just Passin' Thru: A Vintage Store, the Appalachian Trail, and a Cast of Unforgettable Characters, by Winton Porter. The author and his family pooled all their resources to purchase one of the support sites along the trail. The book is anecdotal and, except for some language, is rather good. Most of the characters so far have been various shades of colorful!

Here's what I finished:

#15 - Saint Maybe, by Anne Tyler. Typical; page turner; easy read.

#16 - I'd ent or prove his point of view. Now, what really stands out about this book isn't so much the story, but rather that it is my first book read on a Kindle! Needed to learn to use Kindle for work and, while I much prefer to hold a real book in my hand, I can also see the benefits to using this. I'm planning to borrow another Kindle book before

You can borrow a kindle book? How does that work?

Holly

Even though I'm very close to finishing Anna Karenina (Anna is on her way to the train station) I needed a break from the dreariness. I read The Importance of Being Earnest this afternoon. It never fails to make me chuckle.

Oh, I love The Importance of Being Earnest! Thanks for reminding me. Now I can download another treasure to my Kindle!

Holly

As far as I know, there are two ways. One is through your library, if they offer the service. The other is through Amazon itself. If you are a Prime member, then you can borrow one book a month on your Kindle.

Oh, I love The Importance of Being Earnest! Thanks for reminding me. Now I can download another treasure to my Kindle!

As far as I know, there are two ways. One is through your library, if they offer the service. The other is through Amazon itself. If you are a Prime member, then you can borrow one book a month on your Kindle.

Cool! I had no idea about Amazon!

Why are you continuing to read it? (Just curious....)

At this point I'm seriously considering giving it up. But for some reason I have a strong aversion to not finishing a book. It really bothers me to get more than a few chapters in and then not finish. There are only a handful that I've ever put down in disgust, Wicked was one of them. I'm 3/4 of the way through Catch-22 and figure I've already committed this much time to it, I might as well finish. But boy, does it bore me to tears! Usually I read for an hour or so each night before falling asleep, this book has me drifting off after 10 minutes.

Holly

Yes! From the library! Some libraries offer this service. If you are a member, then you sign in through whatever their groups' name is, on the library website (several libraries in a region will join together to form one group/consortium/whatever). Choose your book, follow the prompts, which will include selecting your specific library and typing in your library card number. It will automatically take you to Amazon and the book will download to your Kindle. Pretty neat! Books are loaned out for two weeks and at the end of that time, the book will automatically disappear (no overdue fees)!

There's a specific list of lendable books, and you must borrow from your Kindle. If you do it from your computer to send to the Kindle, you'll get charged as though buying the book. Look below the price and you'll see the Prime logo and it says you can borrow for free.

Oh I see. Well since I read on an iPad, I guess I can't take advantage of that. However, I have some friends that have kindles, so I'll let them know. Thanks!

Yes! From the library! Some libraries offer this service. If you are a member, then you sign in through whatever their groups' name is, on the library website (several libraries in a region will join together to form one group/consortium/whatever). Choose your book, follow the prompts, which will include selecting your specific library and typing in your library card number. It will automatically take you to Amazon and the book will download to your Kindle. Pretty neat! Books are loaned out for two weeks and at the end of that time, the book will automatically disappear (no overdue fees)!

NO OVERDUE FEES???????? Maybe I can utilize the library again. My husband grumbles whenever I go there! LOL

At this point I'm seriously considering giving it up. But for some reason I have a strong aversion to not finishing a book. It really bothers me to get more than a few chapters in and then not finish. There are only a handful that I've ever put down in disgust, Wicked was one of them. I'm 3/4 of the way through Catch-22 and figure I've already committed this much time to it, I might as well finish. But boy, does it bore me to tears! Usually I read for an hour or so each night before falling asleep, this book has me drifting off after 10 minutes.

I know how you feel. I'm having a terrible time trying to finish Anna Karenina. I'm at the point now where Levin (and therefore Tolstoy) is figuring out what he believes, and I'm both insulted and bored. Insulted because he's going through the whole "Without God I'd be a murderer" foolishness. Bored because of the political stuff. I want to scream at both Levin and Tolstoy about what's going to happen in their country thanks to that whole power to the peasants & anti-property ownership thing they're embracing.

NO OVERDUE FEES???????? Maybe I can utilize the library again. My husband grumbles whenever I go there! LOL

Yes!

The bad: No renewals. Ever. You have to check the item out again if you didn't finish it, which means you'll have to go to the end of the waiting list if there is one.

The good: No overdue fees. Ever.

I watched the 2012 Anna Karenina last night. It was quite visually interesting, but a very stylized and staged (not realistic) portrayal. And I think it just dabbled in the story. My vote is for the book first, and maybe never watching the movie. :) DH said, "Isn't Keira Knightly in every Russian period film we've seen in the last few years?" :laugh:

Oh I see. Well since I read on an iPad, I guess I can't take advantage of that. However, I have some friends that have kindles, so I'll let them know. Thanks!

Pretty sure there is a format for ipad too. A book can have several format types. Kindle, kindle with USB etc.,several that I have no clue what they work for. My friend put them on an ipad so there must be a way!

I watched the 2012 Anna Karenina last night. It was quite visually interesting, but a very stylized and staged (not realistic) portrayal. And I think it just dabbled in the story. My vote is for the book first, and maybe never watching the movie. :) DH said, "Isn't Keira Knightly in every Russian period film we've seen in the last few years?" :laugh:

Thanks for letting me know. I won't be tempted now.

Started Reading:

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean (American author, DD class 500)

Still Reading:

The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership that Matters by Albert Mohler (American author, DD class 300)

The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story by D.A. Carson (Canadian author, DD class 200)

Finished:

11. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman (American Author, DD class 600)

10. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller (American author, DD class 200)

9. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (American author, DD class 300)

8. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald (American author, DD class 100)

7. The Bungalow by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)

6. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

5. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

4. The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies (Canadian author, DD class 600)

3. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Australian author, DD class 800)

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (English author, DD class 800)

1. The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch (German author, DD class 800)

I finished the audio book of Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves 3.5 stars (liked the other one I read much better, but did like this one) and Lost Women of the Bible 2 stars.

I really wanted to love Lost Women of the Bible based on having read one chapter several years ago, but was very disappointed. I was excited to see a book I thought was going to show more about the strength of Biblical women with some good research, but the so much of the book was just as much made up story telling that for much of it it was no better than the nineteenth and early to mid-twentieth century books that did the same thing, albeit with a different twist. A good third or more of it was possibly fiction based on the author's surmisings of what might have been (eg Noah's wife). When I want fiction, I look for books clearly labelled fiction.

Pretty sure there is a format for ipad too. A book can have several format types. Kindle, kindle with USB etc.,several that I have no clue what they work for. My friend put them on an ipad so there must be a way!

For borrowing books from the library, yes there is. I think she was responding to my post about the Kindle Lending Library though. You need and actual Kindle device (and Prime membership) for that. It doesn't work with apps.

Will write more about the books later... perhaps in Week Fourteen. Until then:

Recently completed:

â–  Measure for Measure (William Shakespeare (1603); Folger ed. 2005. 288 pages. Drama.)

â–  Wave (Sonali Deraniyagala; 2013. 240 pages. Memoir.)

â–  The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death (Jean-Dominique Bauby; 1998. 131 pages. Autobiography.)

â–  The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating-Heart Cadavers (Dick Teresi; 2012. 368 pages. Non-fiction.)

Notably in progress:

â–  Moby-Dick (Herman Melville; 1851/2001. 672 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Physics for Future Presidents (Richard A. Muller; 2009. 384 pages. Non-fiction.)

â–  May We Be Forgiven (A.M. Homes; 2012. 496 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Brothers Emanuel: A Memoir of an American Family (Ezekial J. Emanuel; 2013. 288 pages. Memoir.)

Complete list of books read in 2013:

â–  Measure for Measure (William Shakespeare (1603); Folger ed. 2005. 288 pages. Drama.)

â–  Wave (Sonali Deraniyagala; 2013. 240 pages. Memoir.)

â–  The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death (Jean-Dominique Bauby; 1998. 131 pages. Autobiography.)

â–  The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating-Heart Cadavers (Dick Teresi; 2012. 368 pages.

â–  Human .4 (Mike A. Lancaster; 2011. 240 pages. YA fiction.)

â–  Warm Bodies (Isaac Marion; 2011. 256 pages. Fiction.)

â–  The Underwater Welder (Jeff Lemire; 2012. 224 pages. Graphic fiction.)

â–  After Visiting Friends: A Son's Story (Michael Hainey; 2013. 320 pages. Non-fiction.)

â–  Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Philip K. Dick; 1968. 256 pages. Fiction.) *

â–  Accelerated (Bronwen Hruska; 2012. 288 pages. Fiction.)

â–  The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger; 1951. 288 pages. Fiction.) *

â–  Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes; 1966. 324 pages. Fiction.) *

â–  Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (Jamie Ford; 2009. 301 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (Dai Sijie; 2002. 104 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Revival, Vol. 1 (Tim Seeley; 2012. 128 pages. Graphic fiction.)

â–  Saga, Vol. 1 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2012. 160 pages. Graphic fiction.)

■ La Bohème: Black Dog Opera Library (2005. 144 pages. Libretto, history, and commentary.)

â–  The 13 Clocks (James Thurber (1950); 2008. 136 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness (Susannah Cahalan; 2012. 288 pages. Non-fiction.)

â–  Julius Caesar (William Shakespeare (1599); Folger ed. 2003. 288 pages. Drama.) *

â–  Don't Turn Around (Michelle Gagnon; 2012. 320 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors (Ann Rule; 2012. 544 pages. Non-fiction.)

â–  Daddy Love (Joyce Carol Oates; 2013. 240 pages. Fiction.)

â–  Life after Death (Damien Echols; 2012. 416 pages. Non-fiction.)

* Denotes rereads.

Last night I finished Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin Novel by Gena Showalter which I'd classify as a paranormal romance.

"THE SWEETEST TEMPTATION . . .

Black ops agent Solomon Judah awakens caged and bound in a twisted zoo where otherworlders are the main attraction. Vika Lukas, the owner’s daughter, is tasked with Solo’s care and feeding. The monster inside him yearns to kill her on sight, even though she holds the key to his escape. But the human side of him realizes the beautiful deaf girl is more than she seems—she’s his

THE ULTIMATE PRICE . . .

Vika endures the captives’ taunts and loathing, hoping to keep them alive even if she can’t free them. Only, Solo is different— he protects her. But as hostility turns to forbidden romance, his feelings for her will be used against him . . . and he’ll be put to a killer test."

I'm not too familiar with this author, but she seems to have quite a following. While the book was sufficiently well written that I read it in its entirety, it left me unmoved. I'm unlikely to reread it.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan today. Very good beginners guide, but it wasn't anything I didn't already know after having read her far more comprehensive website. I'm also a bit more than halfway through The Great Gatsby, which has to be the dullest and most pointless and plotless book I've ever read in my life. I'll be throwing a party when I've finished, though I can't seem to stomach forcing down more than a chapter a day.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

At this point I'm seriously considering giving it up. But for some reason I have a strong aversion to not finishing a book. It really bothers me to get more than a few chapters in and then not finish. There are only a handful that I've ever put down in disgust, Wicked was one of them.

I'm the SAME. WAY. BigMamaBird. It pains me to put down an unfinished book. However, of the two that I've given up on in the last several yrs., Wicked was one of them. The other was that blasted Anne Voskamp book that everyone seems to love (and I can't seem to recall the name of).

But for some reason I have a strong aversion to not finishing a book.

I'm the SAME. WAY. BigMamaBird. It pains me to put down an unfinished book.

snap-out-of-it-smiley.gif

(Haha -- just had to post that smiley because I thought it was a funny one.)

I've never posted in the "book a week" thread, but I have been reading your conversations. Thought I'd finally share.

:seeya: . I like your rating system.

1. The dusty book challenge for me means at the beginning of each month I have to read a dusty book before I can start on something newer. Since I read mostly on my Kindle, my dusty books are ones that have been in my archives 6 months or longer.

It's interesting to see how everyone tweaks the challenges. Since I get most of my books from the library, I count any book that I own as a 'dusty' book. LOL.

Not a problem. I'm actually glad that I didn't know, or I would have missed out. Now that I have had time to digest it some, I think I've decided I like it. Yes, some parts made me a little uncomfortable, but even those parts were resolved once I got to the end and realized where the story was going. Looking back on the style, how the author kept up the tension, and then being completely surprised (though now that I think about it, why didn't I see that coming?!) by one, ok, two certain aspects of the plot... I think I am going to end up actually loving it. I want to see the movie now. LOL

I think the movie could be fun....

I read The Importance of Being Earnest this afternoon. It never fails to make me chuckle.

Haven't read that in years. It's a good one!

I'm also a bit more than halfway through The Great Gatsby, which has to be the dullest and most pointless and plotless book I've ever read in my life. I'll be throwing a party when I've finished, though I can't seem to stomach forcing down more than a chapter a day.

At least it's a short book, huh? ;) I loved The Great Gatsby when I revisited it last year.

At least it's a short book, huh? ;) I loved The Great Gatsby when I revisited it last year.

Its length is the only thing preventing it from being thrown across a room, drowned in a tub full of water, or torn to shreds and used as toilet paper.

(About Great Gatsby)

Its length is the only thing preventing it from being thrown across a room, drowned in a tub full of water, or torn to shreds and used as toilet paper.

:lol: :lol:

We had to read it in high school. All I remember is that I was supposed to understand the meaning of that stupid eyeglass company billboard sign and the green light Gatsby could see out in the harbor. The title of the book aloneI makes me start to freeze up as if my English teacher was going to call on me to expound at length on these particular symbols.

Finished #21 A Feast For Crows, the fourth book in the Game of Thrones / Song of Fire & Ice series by George RR Martin. This was a big, big letdown from the previous book, A Storm of Swords. Major characters and plot lines that were left hanging in the third book were not even mentioned in book 4, or if they were mentioned, it was only in passing. I mean, in 975 pages, you can't tell me what happened with ___ !! :cursing: I am going to step away from this series for a while, I think, before going to the newest installment.

I have a love/hate relationship with those books. His writing is so evocative that it draws me in, the characters are rich and interesting. BUT the stinking plot is so convoluted and complex, and is made more confusing with each chapter covering a different character, with new characters out of the blue having chapters devoted to them. And to add insult to the injury of his killing off so many characters, he ignores certain characters for hundreds of pages. Or for entire books.

I have read some books out of order by reading all the chapters devoted to particular characters before looking at the other characters. Last year when I finally read the most recent one I had to keep referring to the Wiki to keep all the characters and their respective agendas straight.

That said, I think you will find the Dance with the Dragons much more satisfying as certain characters are back front and center.

Are you a fan of the HBO series?

I started Bitch in a Bonnet and I like it so far. It's a nice easy read after Anna Karenina. Thank you Mothersweets!

I just bought that last night. Now to charge my kindle.

Ha! I felt that way about Wuthering Heights

Finished Nick & Jake tonight. 3.5 stars. An entertaining riff on the McCarthy era told in letters, articles, & telegrams by characters both real & imagined (& who are mostly located in Paris). Quite fun. If you enjoyed the movie "Midnight in Paris" (a complete gem of a film), you may get a kick out of this book. Different time period but a similar vibe.

Some of the 'real' fictional characters come from books that I've never read (The Sun Also Rises; The Razor's Edge), so now I want to read the original stories to see how the characters are portrayed. (Contessa20, you will want to know that the Nick of the title is Nick Carraway. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif )

Oh gosh--I did not mean to sound like a jerk, Robin. I just wanted to echo a thumbs up for Achebe challenge!

Oh no, not at all. :grouphug:

I posted last night in last week's post, but I'll cut & paste here...

------------------

Well, I think I just have to set Hopscotch aside for the foreseeable future. I feel like I've been wading through it forever & still have a long way to go. I'm just not into it anymore (at least at this point)....

A few thoughts...

Reading it in the 'normal' order: It's a dense read w/ many references that probably whizzed right past me. Parts were good, the prose is gorgeous (sometimes), & I loved the few ending chapters. But, overall, I didn't like any of the characters & didn't really care for the story (not really much of a plot). It has a rather pessimistic view on life, imo. I'm so-so on the novel in that version.

Reading it in the 'hopscotch' order: It's still a dense read, but more interesting w/ the extra chapters interspersed. I can really appreciate the talent needed to create a book that can be read in various orders & still have some semblance (?) of sense. It reminds me of all the little details in a surrealist painting by Dali -- so many little pieces & touches to make it one picture or a different one depending on how you view it. Really it takes a massive amount of skill, dare I say genius, to pull it off correctly. So, I see the beauty of the structure. I love the beauty of the structure. I also like that flipping to the various chapters in the hopscotch order actually interrupts your reading flow enough that you have a few extra seconds to mull over what you just read while you're searching for the next section. The slight mental breaks work wonderfully within this framework. However, I still don't like the characters & I still don't like the story. And, really, why does it bug me that these folks are in their 40s & behaving these ways? I don't know, but it does; it seems like they're acting like 'intellectual' & pretentious 20-somethings, but it gives me a different view to find that at least some of them are in their 40s during this story. So, though I love the structure, the framework, it's just not enough to keep me compelled to read. Total between both readings (the completed 'normal' order & partially completed 'hopscotch' order), I've probably read over 500 pages. I feel like I have a lot invested in the book but that I'm not getting much in return at this point. Shrug. Must stop it for now & move on to something that will make me happy to read....

So, I'll have to call it a partial success with very cool execution, but not a story that I like.

--------------------------

I guess that means Hopscotch is the book I finished this week.

In the meantime, I started one I originally heard about on the Bob Edwards show: Nick & Jake: An Epistolary Novel by Jonathan Richards and Tad Richards.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=nick & jake

So far, it's pretty funny.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

Working on Robin's Dusty &/or Chunky Book Challenge.

Working on Robin's Continental Challenge.

Working on LostSurprise's Dewey Decimal Challenge. Complete Dewey Decimal Classification List here.

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2013 Books Read:

01. Women of the Klondike by Frances Backhouse (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty; Continental – North America (Canada); Dewey Decimal – 900s.

02. Equator by Miguel Sousa Tavares (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty; Continental – Europe (Portugal) & Africa (São Tomé and Príncipe).

03. UFOs, JFK, & Elvis by Richard Belzer (2 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 000s.

04. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (USA).

05. The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer (3.5 stars). Challenge: Continental – Africa (Egypt).

06. The Hard Way by Lee Child (2 stars).

07. The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (3 stars).

08. Daughters of Copper Woman by Anne Cameron (3.5 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (Canada).

09. A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes (3.5 stars).

10. The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye by A.S. Byatt (4 stars).

11. Our Lady of Alice Bhatti by Mohammed Hanif (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – Asia (Pakistan).

12. Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr (4 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 600s.

13. The Stockholm Octavo by Karen Engelmann (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – Europe (Sweden).

14. A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – Asia (Pakistan).

15. Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (4 stars).

16. Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (2.5 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal – 900s.

17. Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote (4 stars). Challenge: Continental – North America (USA).

18. Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty & Chunky; Continental – South America (Argentina).

Your thoughts pretty much reflect mine. I couldn't have read it twice so kudos for trying to. I'm glad you introduced me to the book because I learned quite a few new terms. Was constantly looking things up in the dictionary. The only thing you missed by not reading to the end of the hopscotch method was finding yourself in an endless loop. So if one wasn't paying attention, they'd discover themselves reading the same two chapters over and over until they realized 'hey I've read this part before.' I'll be honest - about the 3rd time going back to the same chapter I realized what he had done. :lol:

Last week was busy. I finished up the Kresley Cole series that is available, I'll be waiting for the next book. I also finished up the last JD Robb in Death book. It's interesting to think back on how the series has progressed over the years. I've been reading it since the first book released in 1995. I also realized that there are a few anthologies that I might have missed that I need to take another look at.

I haven't yet finished The Odyssey, that is first up this week. Then I am going to read Resurrecting Midnight as part of The Continental-South America. I am trying to wrap things up for Ancient Greeks this week because I am impatient for Lover at Last: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, and Twice Tempted: A Night Prince Novel, both releasing March 26. Thrill Ride (Black Knights Inc), and Blood Trade: A Jane Yellowrock Novel will release on April 2.

Week 12

63. The Iliad by Homer (translated by Robert Fitzgerald).

64. Lothaire (Immortals After Dark) by Kresley Cole.

65. Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole.

66. Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole.

67. Calculated in Death by JD Robb.

And Jennifer Estep's newest in the Gin Blanco Elemental Assassin series just released as well. I've only read the first Black Dagger Brotherhood book but have the 2nd one in my stacks. The 4th book in her fallen angels series is out - Rapture - which I just downloaded. Yeah! Haven't read anything by Cole yet. But Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series intrigues me so just downloaded Skinwalker as well. Thanks.

I thought it might be fun to add some action shots of our weekly reading from time to time. I've been playing with file sizes and jpg quality but can't seem to upload a bigger photo. Any tips would be appreciated! In the meantime, here I am reading Playing With Fire, one of the DI Banks mysteries Paisley and I are hooked on. I know many of you are dealing with late spring snow, so perhaps you can vicariously enjoy a Southern California spring evening with Ruby the dog and me sitting in the backyard (my glass of wine is out of frame) one recent evening.

Aw! Ruby is absolutely gorgeous!

I'm not doing so great at challenges either. Next week marks the end of first quarter, so perhaps Robin could prompt everyone to post their progress on their personal challenges in our Week 14 thread? Maybe that would motivate all of us slackers to get a move on ;)

What a great Idea!

21. I'm currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I am thoroughly enjoying it, and I am about 2/3 of the way through. I generally do not like novels when I dislike or do not understand the characters. This book is proving to be an anomoly though. I despise most of the characters, with the exception of Roark, but do really find the book thought-provoking. I hate Dominique (isn't her name similar to Dominate?). I hate Ellsworth with a passion. Keating is pathetic. But, I am starting to kind of like Gail Wynand. We will see if that lasts.

20. I just finished Spillover by Quammen. This book was much more interesting than I thought it might be. The book is about zoonotic diseases/viruses , those that spill over from animals to human. The book covered diseases/viruses such as Lyme, HIV, Hendra, Marburg, and Ebola. The most interesting thing I learned was that many scientists now believe that the "spillover" of HIV from animals occurred around the turn of the century, and that HIV made its way to America 10 years before we discovered that it was here. The other aspect of the book that was interesting was that the author highlighted the work of veternarians and ecologists. He made the point that they have contributed in an outstanding way to infectious disease research, often on the frontlines.

19. Lilith's Brood by Butler*****

Oh..my..goodness. The last time I had such a reaction to a book was when I read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Lilith's Brood is quite an odd book. It stretched my ability to remain detached and open. It was uncomfortable, yet compelling. I think I felt exactly like the characters in the book many times. What makes us human? What can I live without-or with-and yet still remain myself? How much loyalty do I feel to the human race? Weird and wonderful questions... A weird and highly recommended book.

18. Microbe Hunters by de Kruif

17. Cobra Event by Preston

16. The Demon in the Freezer by Preston

15. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Simonson

14. Moonseed by Baxter

13. Ark by Baxter

12. The Cassandra Project by McDevitt

11.The Passage by Cronin

10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Skloot*****

9. The Wool Omnibus by Howey

8. The Companions by Tepper

7. Flame of Sevenwaters by Marillier

6. Zoe's Tale by Scalzi

5.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Kesey

4. Pandora's Star by Hamilton

3. The Naked God by Hamilton

2. Grass by Tepper

1. The Neutronium Alchemist by Hamilton

Welcome, Glad you decided to dive in.

I finished Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan today. Very good beginners guide, but it wasn't anything I didn't already know after having read her far more comprehensive website. I'm also a bit more than halfway through The Great Gatsby, which has to be the dullest and most pointless and plotless book I've ever read in my life. I'll be throwing a party when I've finished, though I can't seem to stomach forcing down more than a chapter a day.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

Yep! I agree re The Great Gatsby. It left me gasping for air it was so dull and I positively disliked Gatsby and didn't like the ending at all.

Your thoughts pretty much reflect mine. I couldn't have read it twice so kudos for trying to. I'm glad you introduced me to the book because I learned quite a few new terms. Was constantly looking things up in the dictionary. The only thing you missed by not reading to the end of the hopscotch method was finding yourself in an endless loop. So if one wasn't paying attention, they'd discover themselves reading the same two chapters over and over until they realized 'hey I've read this part before.' I'll be honest - about the 3rd time going back to the same chapter I realized what he had done. :lol:

Well, I had read something about an endless loop, but I figured it was whatever the last chapter was in the 'hopscotch' order pointing you back to chapter 73. So, does the endless loop get listed that way if you use the chart in the front of the book or only if you follow the 'next chapter' prompt at the end of each chapter?

Now you're making me want go back and look (& figure it out), even though I know I don't want to read it anymore. LOL.

And, you're a better woman than me. Terms I looked up in the dictionary: 0. :p (Some of the things make a large whooshing noise as they zipped over my head. :lol: )

Well, I had read something about an endless loop, but I figured it was whatever the last chapter was in the 'hopscotch' order pointing you back to chapter 73. So, does the endless loop get listed that way if you use the chart in the front of the book or only if you follow the 'next chapter' prompt at the end of each chapter?

Now you're making me want go back and look (& figure it out), even though I know I don't want to read it anymore. LOL.

And, you're a better woman than me. Terms I looked up in the dictionary: 0. :p (Some of the things make a large whooshing noise as they zipped over my head. :lol: )

The last chapter in the list 131 sends you to 58 which sends you back to 131

(About Great Gatsby)

:lol: :lol:

We had to read it in high school. All I remember is that I was supposed to understand the meaning of that stupid eyeglass company billboard sign and the green light Gatsby could see out in the harbor. The title of the book aloneI makes me start to freeze up as if my English teacher was going to call on me to expound at length on these particular symbols.

Well, my English teacher pointed out every single use of the color yellow in Gatsby! That got old after about, oh, page one. Despite that, I still like the book.

I like the HBO series, but since we aren't subscribers I have to wait for the dvd release. Therefore, I'm always a season behind.

Do you have Verizon? HBO is free this weekend and the series premieres on Sunday night, so you could at least watch the first episode for free. DH jokes that if our Easter guests haven't left by 9:00 when the show starts, he's going to kick them all out. We have become huge GoT fans and have decided to subscribe to HBO just for the duration of the season and then cancel.

I finished the second in the Julian Kestrel series - A Broken Vessel by Kate Ross. If you are a fan of mysteries or a fan of Regency period writing or just looking for a fun book to read I highly suggest this series. I’m loving it. The first in the series is Cut to the Quick and you’d want to start there. The second book was almost as good with the exception of one “romance†story line that left me feeling a little sqwicky. The other 95% of the book was top notch though.

In Progress:

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie (audiobook) (What??? No way. Another AC book! Everyone is so surprised!)

The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions by Meredith Gould

Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery (read aloud)

2013 finished books:

30. A Broken Vessel by Kate Ross (****)

29. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (****)

28. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (****)

27. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (****)

26. The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (**)

25. Mrs. McGinty’s Dead by Agatha Christie (****)

24. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (***)

23. EntreLeadership by Dave Ramsey (***)

22. The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren (*****)

21. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (*****)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Last night I finished One Good Earl Deserves a Lover: The Second Rule of Scoundrels by Sarah MacLean.

"Nearly engaged to Lord Castleton, the always proper and logical Lady Philippa “Pippa†Marbury wants to learn about London’s dark side before she happily heads off to the country and embraces married life. But it’s in London’s shadowy corners where she meets Cross, the brooding, mysterious bookkeeper of The Fallen Angel, London’s most notorious and coveted gaming hell. He’s a rogue in every sense of the word. Or is he?"

It was a fun historical romance read with an intelligent heroine albeit one who does not follow the conventions of the time (i.e., being chaperoned). It's the second in a series and while it can stand alone, I think it would be better read after the first book.

Regards,

Kareni

Am starting The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig for my book club. Looks like it will be a fun read -- perfect for 'spring break' reading. It's the first of a series....

http://thepinkcarnat...k/bookorder.php

Willig's imaginative debut is the story of Eloise Kelly, who is trying to uncover the identity of the Pink Carnation, a British spy a la the Scarlet Pimpernel who infiltrated Napoleonic France, for her Ph.D. dissertation. But it is also the story of Amy Balcourt, a young woman of French descent raised in England, whom Eloise learns about when she gains access to the papers kept by Arabella Selwick-Alderly, the descendant of another dashing spy, the Purple Gentian. Amy sets off to join her brother, Edouard, in France, with the hope of joining the league of the Purple Gentian. On her journey over she meets Lord Richard Selwick, the Purple Gentian himself, and though sparks fly between the two, he feels he can't reveal his secret identity to her. Eloise is engrossed in Amy's story, even as Arabella's infuriating but handsome nephew, Colin Selwick, tries to bar her access to the papers. Readers should expect more of the swashbuckling past than the scholarly present, but Willig's story is a decidedly delightful romp.