Menu

A wee bit of bragging (and also encouragement to you all!)

My daughter texted me from her last class before Spring Break. She is a freshman and the class was English 214 (her favorite class this semester). She had a conference with her teacher regarding her first paper. The class is very discussion oriented, so he knows her fairly well. He first told her that hers is the first "A" he's graded (though he's only about 1/2 done with the papers). He then proceeded to let her know that she should know that she's had an exceptional education and that she's changed his mind about homeschooled students--that she is more engaged and thoughtful than the average student.

Now for the encouragement to you--on this board, I often feel like we are doing LESS by far than others here, though we love learning and discussing things as a family. There are many areas where I wished we could've done more. This daughter struggled to finish Algebra 2 and we wrote a lot less than I thought we should (though she is a natural writer, if such things exist). Yet, halfway through second semester, she is doing really well in college--both in the classes she leans toward naturally and in the ones that require more work and discipline on her part.

She's my first graduate and I had been afraid at the end that somehow I had "messed things up" with this homeschooling business : ). I think we all fear that from time to time. Just want to let you know that you're all probably doing just fine!

Really, Lisa, I would most classify us as Charlotte Mason types--not particularly rigorous, but really wanting to engage them. We are covering high school topics, but we weren't always as thorough as I'd hoped. We read a lot of literature and discussed it, studied history and took rabbit trails like crazy using The History of Us, Genevieve Foster books, even Story of the World as a structure in early high school which we augmented with "real" books. We used Jacobs Math for Algebra 1 and Geometry and then floundered a bit for Algebra 2. Writing has been a hodge podge of things (always working on it, but not with one curriculum). Grammar taught through revising writing. We had some co-op classes. I generally always felt that while what we did was good, that there was always about 50% more that I'd wanted to accomplish. Nothing magic in the curriculum, other than I think we kept trying to figure out how to enjoy this journey. I only wanted them at home for high school if we could enjoy it!

That's why I say to have confidence in what you are doing. So many here are doing so much more than we did, and yet it appears that I have decently well trained minds on my hands :001_smile: People used to tell me the same thing, but I used to think that maybe they just didn't know how it really was at my house. Happy Spring everyone! Keep on!

That is a wonderful story! Congratulations to both of you! And what a wonderful professor to take the time to tell your daughter that.

She goes to a large state university (30,000 students). Yet, this is the second class she's had in writing where the professor has conferences with each student at midterm to discuss their writing. I am really impressed!

He then proceeded to let her know that she should know that she's had an exceptional education and that she's changed his mind about homeschooled students--that she is more engaged and thoughtful than the average student.

Wow!!! That is amazing. And thank you for posting this and giving us all encouragement :hurray: .

This is the encouragement I need to hear! I have 2 boys...11 th and 8th grades. I want to believe that I am doing a better job of education than our local school!

When I talk to our neighbor boy (who is the same age as my 11th grader) about his public school classes, I am blown away by the lack of academics he is assigned! Never does he have homework

and he has read only one book this past school year...fictional account of the atrocities in WWII.

Now for the encouragement to you--on this board, I often feel like we are doing LESS by far than others here, though we love learning and discussing things as a family. There are many areas where I wished we could've done more. This daughter struggled to finish Algebra 2 and we wrote a lot less than I thought we should (though she is a natural writer, if such things exist). Yet, halfway through second semester, she is doing really well in college--both in the classes she leans toward naturally and in the ones that require more work and discipline on her part.

She's my first graduate and I had been afraid at the end that somehow I had "messed things up" with this homeschooling business : ). I think we all fear that from time to time. Just want to let you know that you're all probably doing just fine!

Your comment that I put in bold type is the key, I believe. In so many of our discussions on this board, we have returned to issue of breadth vs. depth. The depth of our homeschool discussions is what I believe has held the key to my son's individual success as a student--despite the gaps and my many failings.

High fives and cheers!

Your comment that I put in bold type is the key, I believe. In so many of our discussions on this board, we have returned to issue of breadth vs. depth. The depth of our homeschool discussions is what I believe has held the key to my son's individual success as a student--despite the gaps and my many failings.

High fives and cheers!

I also think that leaving room for curiosity and interest in the midst of the other things--preserving their desire to learn--has been a key, as well. I try to remember that everyone leaves high school with gaps and failings and that my student is also an individual and may struggle with certain things no matter their education. Their success or failure is not all mine. (Sometimes hard to remember when I feel so responsible for it all!)

Thanks for sharing! How encouraging. Here in Ossining, NY I hear that the fifth graders are taught to guess at fractions, that spelling is not taught, nor penmanship. I have met a lot of disengaged high school students who hate school and live for vacations and snow days. I receive a lot of commentary from parents I meet at the pool deck about the gaps and failures of the K-12 system here. We present our homeschool graduates to colleges against such a background of mediocrity.

Congrats! WTG!! :hurray: I have a freshman at a large university and she is doing well. She was always homeschooled. I was "fearful" and at times asked myself if I was doing enough and how would she do once at a university. Keep up the good work mom's and you can do it! It helps to have a great forum like this to ask questions,get support and boost moral.

Amy