Menu

Looking for a one-book grammar program.

mo2

I don't think grammar has to be studeied year after year, with separate books, workbooks, flash cards, etc. But I *do* need a solid program to follow so that I don't skip anything. What would be a good, thorough grammar program contained in one nonconsumable book?

We're big Analytical Grammar fans here, too. We tried Easy Grammar and KISS but they just didn't work at all. DS13 complained that Easy Grammar didn't have enough instruction and KISS was horribly laid out and too busy looking. We both LOVE A.G. with the DVDs.

Easy Grammar. Once when the dc are about 11yo, maybe once more when they are, oh, 13.

Are you referring to Easy Grammar Plus or one of the other books? I'm debating between EG, Harvey's, and AG. AG is sooo expensive!

Well goodness knows I don't use only one thing for grammar... LOL Let's just say I have a problem. ;) But, someone mentioned Learning Grammar Through Writing a while back and I bought it because of the review describing how you code writing for self-correction. Genius! Love how there are different levels for coding, depending on age/experience (above error, in the margin of the line with the error, or at the top of the page). This way of teaching seems really organic to me. Thought I would mention it... :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083881493X?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Our Mother Tongue won't work for me because it is Christian. Why religion need to be included in a grammar book is beyond me.

I'm probably going to take a look at Harvey's (because it's cheap), and if that doesn't seem to suit my needs, I guess it's AG, despite the price. I actually do have 3 students that will use it eventually, so that makes the price a little more bearable.

AG is a workbook, but you can reuse it by having your older students write the sentences in a notebook.

Warriner's Complete Course is another secular option.

I like Harvey's too. It is not secular, but you can ignore or replace specific sentences and still get enough practice.

AG is a workbook, but you can reuse it by having your older students write the sentences in a notebook.

Warriner's Complete Course is another secular option.

I like Harvey's too. It is not secular, but you can ignore or replace specific sentences and still get enough practice.

I can't seem to find Warriner's anywhere....Can you link me?

I can't seem to find Warriner's anywhere....Can you link me?

There are many used copies on Amazon. The older the edition, the better.

Found three just now: One, Two, Three.

Keep in mind, this is 12th grade level work and includes writing/composition. But I think your middle schoolers can start with the grammar lessons.