Menu

Just a quick update on our pregnant dd

Lisa in SC

I figured I would periodically update, since so many of you were so encouraging when she first told us the news. It turns out, dh's insurance will not cover dependent maternity care, so she did have to apply for Medicaid, switch doctors, etc. It also happens that dh was transferred back to where we currently live, so we won't have the chaotic move over the summer. The father has made it explicitly clear that he wants nothing to do with dd or the baby.

Dd is continuing with school, but will have to take a leave at some point as she won't finish before baby arrives. The school is aware and willing to work with her, so that's a huge plus. She is also working as a server, so she spends most of her days on her feet. It's fine now, and only time will tell how long she'll be able to continue, but the restaurant seems willing to keep her position available to her.

The above is as brief as I can summarize a very long story. The most exciting news is that she's 18 weeks 4 days, due August 9, and just had an ultrasound. The baby looks "perfect" (doctor's words), weighs half a pound, and is a girl!!! She is absolutely overjoyed with the good news at from this appointment, as are we. :D So we continue to support, love on her, and help her through the emotional times. She's really doing as well as she possibly can be. Strong girl! :)

That's great! You all sound so supportive!

I wonder, will your dh's insurance cover the baby and mom once maternity is out of the picture ,- as in, once the baby is born? Just an idle thought...

Dh's insurance does, and will continue to, cover dd regarding all non-maternity related major medical. It will not cover the baby. She, or we, will need to purchase an individual policy for the baby, or the baby can continue on Medicaid until such time as dd obtains employment with benefits. It's not the best situation, but at least the baby won't be uninsured, regardless of which option dd chooses. :)

Dh's insurance does, and will continue to, cover dd regarding all non-maternity related major medical. It will not cover the baby. She, or we, will need to purchase an individual policy for the baby, or the baby can continue on Medicaid until such time as dd obtains employment with benefits. It's not the best situation, but at least the baby won't be uninsured, regardless of which option dd chooses. :)

It's not ideal, but it's something. :) Sounds like you all are really brainstorming about options - good for you!

Congratulations and best wishes to your DD. I was in her shoes and my dd is now a lovely, smart person who has no interest in meeting her biological father. All of the early struggles are water under the bridge. The only resulting issue is that we get strangers asking us if we are sisters, and lately we have been asked if we want separate checks at restaurants. I'm going to start feigning shock and telling them I am ten years older than I really am because believe it or not, it does get old.

Does your state covers it?? NY cover children and Moms with no insurance with low income. does your state has similar plan?

Does your state covers it?? NY cover children and Moms with no insurance with low income. does your state has similar plan?

After delivery, dd will be covered on my husbands's plan. For the baby, dd can choose Medicaid or she can purchase an individual policy. In SC, I believe the only state coverage for which she is eligible would be Medicaid. I could be mistaken, but this is my understanding.

It's also my Anniversary. Tell her we vote for August 9th! :)

I'll let her know! ;) She's hoping for any day but the 4th, which is her birthday. I told her, what better present? Our younger dd was born on our 5th anniversary...no other gift could top that! :D

The only resulting issue is that we get strangers asking us if we are sisters, and lately we have been asked if we want separate checks at restaurants. I'm going to start feigning shock and telling them I am ten years older than I really am because believe it or not, it does get old.

I just want to reassure you that this is a fairly standard practice. My 22 yo dd and I are regularly asked this question, and nobody would think we are similarly aged. Chalk it up to allowing modern women of any age to be friends?

Enjoy that you look young!