Menu

Talk to me about having a dog or not

JadeOrchidSong

I've seen a few people recommend an adult dog vs a puppy. We have always adopted adult dogs, not gotten puppies, so I can't speak to puppies, but I will say there is still a lot of training that goes not adult dogs. Frequently, you are training out bad behaviors that have been learned or allowed at a previous house.

Until this last dog, I had always been in charge of the dogs, including training. This last one, I didn't have the energy. Luckily, DH stepped up. But, someone has to commit to the training (IMO), even with an adult dog.

This. This, this, this.

Which is why I wouldn't advise an adult dog for a new dog owner. It's very, very hard to train out bad habits (out of adult dogs), it's much easier to never let them form. And, sometimes they never fully get trained out.

I don't think I could sleep without a dog in the house. I have to have one. My dog knows what's going on in my house before I do, and he even knows who has pulled up before I do.

I have to disagree that first-time dog owners should get a puppy over an adult dog. Not all adult dogs come with bad behaviors. Many are great dogs who are surrendered for a variety of reasons. In this economy, families have had to surrender pets due to job loss and perhaps losing the home. I know that as a first time dog owner, I was definitely NOT up to training a puppy, which is why we procrastinated so long on getting a dog. If I had to be up at all hours of the night taking the dog out to potty, plus be on the watch all day for months on end, there is no way I would have had the energy to work on other, less immediate, but undesirable behaviors l,et alone have the energy to homeschool. Getting an adult dog allowed us to be past the house breaking so that we could work on training him to be a good member of our household. Some of that work was done for us already by his previous owner and some was up to us.

While we have had our trials with our wonderchewer, it could not have worked out better for us. Had we gotten him as a puppy, I am not sure he would have turned out to be the wonderful dog that he is.

I've done both--adopted an 8 month old puppy and gotten a puppy from a breeder. I can't say one way was better than the other. Each has its merits and I think prospective owners should follow their consciences about which route to take. There are great rescue dogs and there are horrible rescue dogs, same is true for purebreds. There is something to be said for rescuing a mixed breed and giving it a loving home, and for purchasing a purebred puppy that will carry on the traits and temperament of the breed.

For Dd, we went with a breeder simply b/c she wanted a dog to do agility with and I did not want to take chances on any health issues. We could not get another dog later b/c Dd's dog would put us at our limit (3 dogs in a small home). If we adopted a rescue who turned out to have any significant health problems that would put an end to Dd's serious dog training and participation in 4H, which was a big dream of hers. She waited for 2 years while borrowing leaders' dogs.

Just pretend you're going to have a baby. That some relatives won't like.

Everytime we leave town it's such a hassle to find someone to care for the dog. If you travel a lot you should keep that in mind.

This! I love Lewis, our two year old sport cocker spaniel, but it is hard to work around traveling, and he is literally, the toddler that will never grow up just grow old so it's the equivalent of having a perpetual child no matter how many years they live. Oh, he'll eventually slow down as he ages, but he'll always require a lot of care and he's too big and noisy to take everywhere with us.

He is my boy and I enjoy him, well most of the time. But, I can honestly see that once the boys leave home, I won't want to get another dog after Lewis. Dh and I will want the freedom to travel often and we won't have the kids to help care for him.

Plus, yep...some relatives are not dog people and so we have to put him in his crate when they visit and this depresses him to a great degree. He's also VERY protective of me, so whenever someone comes to the door and that someone is a man, he goes completely ape! He doesn't bite or threaten to bite but he.will.not.shut.up.ever. until they leave so we have to put him in the basement. Then he acts like he's been banished to Siberia and piddles on the floor as a sign of submission. Sigh....

Definitely love him, definitely do not want another one.

Faith

This! I love Lewis, our two year old sport cocker spaniel, but it is hard to work around traveling, and he is literally, the toddler that will never grow up just grow old so it's the equivalent of having a perpetual child no matter how many years they live. Oh, he'll eventually slow down as he ages, but he'll always require a lot of care and he's too big and noisy to take everywhere with us.

He is my boy and I enjoy him, well most of the time. But, I can honestly see that once the boys leave home, I won't want to get another dog after Lewis. Dh and I will want the freedom to travel often and we won't have the kids to help care for him.

Plus, yep...some relatives are not dog people and so we have to put him in his crate when they visit and this depresses him to a great degree. He's also VERY protective of me, so whenever someone comes to the door and that someone is a man, he goes completely ape! He doesn't bite or threaten to bite but he.will.not.shut.up.ever. until they leave so we have to put him in the basement. Then he acts like he's been banished to Siberia and piddles on the floor as a sign of submission. Sigh....

Definitely love him, definitely do not want another one.

Faith

Did you try keeping him on a leash at first when company comes? Our cocker does some of what you describe, but if I put him on leash and give the men treats to give him, he eventually calms down enough to overcome his barking in favor of taking treats. He's a little afraid of new people, and backs away of they try to pet him, but he'll take as many treats as they want to give him! That usually is enough to get him to stop barking and I can take him off the leash once he calms down. Then there are times I can't be bothered and he goes in his crate.

And now I have a burning desire to see a photo of Lewis!

Did you try keeping him on a leash at first when company comes? Our cocker does some of what you describe, but if I put him on leash and give the men treats to give him, he eventually calms down enough to overcome his barking in favor of taking treats. He's a little afraid of new people, and backs away of they try to pet him, but he'll take as many treats as they want to give him! That usually is enough to get him to stop barking and I can take him off the leash once he calms down. Then there are times I can't be bothered and he goes in his crate.

We've tried. Occasionally, he'll calm down if I sit right there with him and the man is not too close to me. He just seems to think he's my body guard! He's lovely with the kids and once he gets to know other men, my dad, brother, the pastor, etc. he tolerates them so long as I'm within eye sight.

I had an Amish gentleman who we hired to do a roof repair, say that I should not be frustrated by Lewis' behavior because, "Ma'am, he'll never let anyone hurt you." I suppose that's true. However, in our town in which the worst thing that ever happens is the neighbor's wild drinking party on the 4th of July or the occasional stolen bike, my safety has not been something I worry about much!

Mostly, sometimes, I think Lewis is rather unintelligent. This is very sad since he was named for Clives Staples Lewis...sorry C.S.!!!!

Faith

Our current dog is German Shepherd. She's unlikely to be purebred since we got her at the shelter.

The shelter told us she was a labrador/border collie mix. The vet said she was absolutely a German shepherd and that while she was probably mixed with something else, every feature looks GSD except that her ears aren't quite as tall as they ought to be.

I think we have three choices now.

beagle

American eskimo

miniature schnauzer

Can you talk to me about any of the three?

We have beagles on two sides of our house. One neighbor had two and they both died within 6 months of each other. She replaced them with two puppies (not both at once). The beagles that died were quite noisy, though I didn't usually notice b/c we have a doggy neighborhood. The only dogs I notice barking are mine b/c it annoys me if they don't stop. I seem to have the ability to tune out other dogs. BUT, neighbors complained to me about the beagles. They have a bay, I think it's called which is sort of a howl they do when they get to really barking.

The other beagle who belongs to a different neighbor, is quiet. I've rarely heard her bark. I have been told they can get smelly, but they have short hair, so bathing shouldn't be a big deal (compared to the grooming I do on our dogs, anyway). All of the beagles have been very sweet dogs. Dd has been working with the new ones helping our neighbor with training. They seem to love children and tolerate a lot from our neighbor's kids.

The other two breeds I have no experience with.

Which is why I wouldn't advise an adult dog for a new dog owner. It's very, very hard to train out bad habits (out of adult dogs), it's much easier to never let them form. And, sometimes they never fully get trained out.

Our experience and that of almost everyone I know has been exactly the opposite. Those that have gotten puppies all started out with great intentions for lots of training, but most ended up settling for a much lower level of training than initially planned. The dogs overall are fine, but still have at least a couple of annoying habits they haven't been able to break. Also, all of these people were very specific about the breed they wanted, but invariably the dog they ended up with didn't seem to actually fit the breed description very well, at least behaviorally, or was at the extreme end for the undesirable traits of the breed.

The people I know that have been the happiest and had the easiest dog owning experiences were not set on a particular breed and focused most on the temperament and behavior of the dog and did not even consider puppies. However, none of these people adopted rescue dogs with issues. I agree that only those with experience should consider an older dog with past abuse, trauma, etc.

beagle

American eskimo

miniature schnauzer

I am typing this with my giant lanky stupid Coonhound curled up under the covers with me, he is snoring like a freight train, but his ears are like velvet and he lets me squish his neck pudge all I want.

Of the 3 my first choice for a first time owner would be the Schnauzer, I would look into getting one from a breed specific rescue that has been in a foster home for a while, or a retired show dog that is available.

Beagles are adorable, and stubborn, noisy, and hard to train, and not so bright a lot of the time (its the hound in them, we have hounds, bless their hearts they are dumb)

I have known some sweet American Eskimos, but OMG that is a lot of hair, and they are a spitz breed so they can be more catlike and aloof, and downright not so doggy.

Puppies are adorable and squishy and soft and I really really love them. Especially if they belong to someone else and I can just love them and give them back. Even the easy ones who grow into fantastic dogs are a LOT of work. And they don't mature until about 2, so you have two years of chaos and vigilance and work!

After bringing in our last girl at the age of 1 I don't know if I will ever have another pup, it is just so much easier to incorporate them when they have some common sense and don't constantly bite you with a mouth full of hypodermic needles.

If I was a first time dog owner, I would find out who the really great rescue groups in my area were, then I would call and interview them. I would make sure they knew exactly what I wanted in a dog as far as temperament, grooming needs, and relative size. Ask them about visiting with the dogs, could you even take him home from the foster for an afternoon, or just hang out long enough to really see how he reacts to life. A good rescue group will really work hard to match the right dog with the right family, they are committed to finding the pups good placements

But keep in mind that a busy 20 lb dog is going to feel much bigger than a couch potato 75 lb ball of mush.

For the most part, a dog is a dog is a dog. There are some broad categories, like terrier, northern/spitz, herding etc...I would avoid the terriers and herding dogs, simply because they needs jobs, huskies and other northern breeds are beautiful, but not for the faint of heart!

beagle

American eskimo

miniature schnauzer

Beagles and American Eskimos aren't considered "hypoallergenic" breeds.

I've had quite a bit of experience with beagles. I've fostered, owned one and my mom had one. Our beagle was IMO almost a perfect dog. She rarely barked, although when she did it was VERY loud. Beagles bay instead of bark, and when they do it will scare you to death if you're not expecting it. But in general she was quiet and calm and very loving. They do shed a lot, and many have what's called a "houndy" odor that you simply can't get rid of no matter how much grooming you do. Our beagle didn't have that odor, and some of my fosters didn't. A lot of the fosters did, as did my mom's beagle. They absolutely cannot be off leash out of a safely fenced in area. if they pick up an interesting scent they'll go for miles before anything else registers in their brains. Often trash cans aren't safe around them. They really are walking noses and everything revolves around that. They're typically wonderful with children.

American Eskimo -- Don't know a lot about them. A former neighbor had one and I hate to make a judgment about a whole breed based on just one dog, but he was dumb as a rock. He'd run across the back yard chasing planes. Not low-flying little planes, passenger planes that were many thousands of feet up. But dumb is not always a bad thing in dogs. They often get into much less trouble than a smarter dog. And again I've only known one, so others of the breed may be Mensa smart for all I know.

Miniature Schnauzer -- Probably considered "hypoallergenic." They can be hyper and the breed as a whole is known for being very barky. The breed has a tendency to develop pancreatitis triggered by fatty food, so you really have to watch what you feed them.

My general advice to anyone looking for a breed is to not go on looks but on personality/temperment characteristics, exercise needs and grooming requirements. You can learn to love the look of any dog, but it's much harder to love a dog who isn't a good fit in the other categories. And that advice holds true when looking at descriptions of breeds -- Pay particular attention to the "bad" things about the breed. Most people read the good and gloss over the bad. It's easy to live with the good stuff, not so easy to live with the bad stuff.

As far as puppy versus adult -- I agree with whoever said that not all adult dogs have bad habits that need to be untrained. I've had many dogs of my own and fostered many more, and IMO adult dogs in general are much easier to deal with, especially for first time dog owners.

beagle

American eskimo

miniature schnauzer

Beagles typically are noisy and do smell and still shed.

I don't know if American Eskimos shed as much as husky's do or not but husky's shed a lot and you can never get rid of all of it. Ours has been gone for almost 3 years and I still find husky hair.

I have only seen 2 schnauzers in passing, they both seemed really well behaved and were walking off leash next to their owner. They didn't get worked up when we passed by. One of them was a neighbor from a couple of blocks away and he really liked his schnauzer.

I have ruled out beagles and American Eskimos now. So miniature schnauzer, then. We will visit a dog rescue center with good reputation in April after our three week vacation. Who knows? Maybe we will get one that is totally not on my list. We will look at dogs that are between 2 and 4 years old. Thank you all for your time and valuable information. My friend's neighbor who has a mini schnauzer that we fell in love with is going to retire in two years and will live in South America. So we can adopt that one then. But we want a dog sooner.

We have 5 dogs right now. 4 are ours, and one is a foster.

I've met a lot of nice Mini Schnauzers.

Our dogs are mixes. One is an ACD mix. (Not a recommended breed. ;) ) Most of the rest are small hound mixes. All of the hound mixes have been awesome.

I actually do think a hound mix is a good choice, I adore them, they have the sweetness of a lab without the energy and neurosis so many labs have. Beagles can just tend to be somewhat difficult and I think there cuteness somewhat masks that.

I would also strongly suggest a retired greyhound for a first time owner.

We have a Cattle Dog lab mix girl, she is a ton of fun, but busy, to put it nicely. She is currently on one month of leash only exercise, and now that she is feeling better and we have 3 weeks to go, I realize I'm gonna need some wine to make it through, and probably will have to replace random items that fall victim to her boredom.

The good thing about a non traumatised adult dog is that you know what you are getting with the individual dogs temperament. we have had no problems bonding with any of the older dogs either, they seem so happy and thankful for the love and home and just fit right in.

Also, look into clicker or marker training, positive reinforcement sessions for 5 minutes a couple times a day go a long way towards bonding, manners training and helping the dog learn to think and trust.

It's tough to tell because they are mixes. The foster looks like a foxhound, but might have some whippet in there too. One has short legs, so we're guessing either basset or dachshund mix. The others are some kind of hound and retriever mix, plus shar pei in one of them, but it's hard to guess exactly what. They've got sad eyes and dangling ears, haha.

• 5 months later...

Here is my update: we got a 2.5 year old male shih tzu Pomeranian mix from a family who couldn't keep him anymore due to having 10 active toddlers in their home daycare on May 28.

He is very loving, loyal, easy maintenance. He naps a lot, but he loves a walk any time. He is adventurous and is a great camper and hiker. He is like a mountain goat when it comes to climbing stairs and rocky hills. My boys and dh adore him. We can't imagine life without him. I wish we had a dog much earlier.

The only cons are he is a picky eater and he tries to dominate over my younger ds. We all love him to pieces nonetheless.

Thank you very much for helping me choose a good breed. He is non shedding, non barking, and non fussing!

I will get another shih tzu in a heartbeat when this one is gone.

Now I wonder how much fun we missed all the years we didn't have a dog. Now we will never be without a dog. Adding a pet is like opening a new window. I meet and talk with more people now because of my dog. Our life is so enriched. My boys know the breeds of many dogs they see. A week ago we actually met a dog that was 1/2 wolf and 1/2 dog at Gooseberry Falls, MN, whose owner proudly shared that the wolf part made it unaggressive and non barking. I don't know if it howls under the moon:).

We have always had dogs, and I can't imagine my life without one. We've also been a very active family, gone a lot, traveling. Somehow, it has always worked out. It has never seemed like too much of a burden, but maybe that's because I'm so used to it I don't expect it to be otherwise.

They become part of the family, they jump in the car when I run my errands and pick up the kids, they drive the 2.5 hours to grandma and grandpa's house for the weekend with us, etc.

If we go on long trips, we find a nice kennel or family friends who will take him. If we're gone just one night and can't take him, we get a neighbor to stop by. We have always used dry Purina and nothing else, and our dogs haven't had a problem with that.

I will say that for the most part, we were home and didn't have a lot of changes. Now that our youngest is nearly done with school and I anticipate my husband and I being on the go more, our dog will become more of a burden. Fortunately he also has his "farm family" (where he came from) that can take him for extended periods.

I do think that when we get our next dog, however, we will not get a puppy. I've become pickier and will want to know his temperament before we bring a new one home.

We have a standard poodle. Very friendly to people. Not aggressive. We got him at about to 12 weeks old. He house trained in no more than 3 weeks. No shedding, plus he is very smart and easy to train.

Everywhere we go with him, people immediately notice him and inquire about his breed. He doesn't have a show cut, just a puppy cut. They are always surprised when we tell them he's a poodle. I think most people expect poodles to be small and not the kind of athletic kid-friendly dog he is. He's a fun dog, medium energy, and definitely bonded to us, his family. For us, this dog was a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my dog. I can't imagine not to have a dog anymore. He is so much fun and gives everyone joy and cheers everyone e up. We love it when he makes joyful noises when we come home after an hour or two. He is perfect for us. My shih tzu mix's name is Redge, a very beautiful and unique name. He is our first love and no other dog can replace his place in our heart.