Menu

Is this weird? (Food allergy related)

melissad2

There is a kid in my AWANA's group at church who has a "severe peanut allergy", well his mom never checks the snack beforehand and he doesn't come with an epi-pen. I bring the snacks and always check for nuts first but seeing as how I don't have a food allergic kid I'm afraid I will miss something. If someone else brings something with peanuts then they will serve it to all the other kids but give him a peanut free snack. If he's severely allergic, is that safe? Couldn't he react just by being around peanuts? I'm afraid he's gonna have a reaction and we won't be prepared for it!

His allergy must not be as severe. Some kids can't be in the same room with peanut products, while others just need to avoid eating them. I'm sure his mom is on top of it, so if she's fine with how things are being handled, I would continue to take precautions but not worry about it beyond that.

ETA: just caught the part about the fact that he doesn't come with an epi-pen. That part would concern me a bit and I would ask mom about it.

If the kid is really allergic, the mom seems to be taking a big chance by assuming everyone is looking out for her kid. You try your best but peanut products can slip in unnoticed.

A friend of mine has a daughter allergic to peanuts. I once mentioned to her that she was really laid back about it and she told me her daughter never had a reaction- the doc had done allergy testing when she was 2 and said she was allergic. Then the girl (now 15) fessed up that she eats peanut butter at school sometimes. No issues. (The mom was surprised!) The same doctor said her brother was allergic to lettuce and rice. Never heard of a kid being allergic to lettuce before!

Sounds like the mom is playing a risky game. No epi pen is the most alarming. When I read stories about fatalities, it is usually someone who was not carrying an epi pen. An allergic child should ALWAYS have an epi pen. Also, a seemingly mild allergy can turn at any time. There is no way to really predict from reaction to reaction. I have also read accounts of people who "only got hives" for years until the one reaction that went anaphylactic. There is an unknown factor that no one seems to be able to figure out just yet.

Doesn't the church have a file for each kid that has name, address, parents, and allergies on it? Ask the mom what kind of reaction the kid might have if he/she comes into contact with peanuts AND how you should handle the reaction. That information should be on the card. Yes, I find it weird that the mom seems so laid back about it and trusting others to handle her child's medical issues.

This is very dangerous. I would call the Mom, let her know your concerns, then write down your conversation. I would even consider having no snack at all, or just juice. I know of one near deadly incident (student survived, thank goodness) related to a snack mishap. If he does end up having an epi-pen, be sure someone there has been trained on how to use it or tell Mom she must stay at the meetings.

I think it is very weird. I used to make sure they didn't give my daughter apple juice when she was small because just one swallow and she would have loose bms for the rest of the day. I would never take a chance with this kind of allergy.

She is there at church during AWANA's just in the sanctuary. If he were to have a reaction I'm afraid that by the time we got to her (if she carries an epi-pen) it would be too late. I'm going to speak to her Wednesday night to find out more about his allergies and see if we can keep an epi-pen in his bag. FWIW...I'm a nurse and that's part of the reason I'm so concerned, I know a reaction can go bad VERY fast!

My son is allergic to some nuts, but not all nuts. We have an epi-pen but have never had to use it on him. He does not have a severe allergy and basically gets a runny nose and itchy face if he eats something with peanuts. We do not carry an epi-pen with us, but usually have benadryl which is enough to combat the allergic reaction.

If his allergy is truly severe, then the mother should provide a snack for her child. If he is allergic enough to have a reaction from simple exposure to nuts without ingestion, I would ask the person providing snacks that week to bring nut free snacks for all of the kids.

I would also ask the mother to fill out paperwork detailing the type of allergy her child has and what precautions should be taken if he were to be exposed to nuts, similar to what they might do in public school or as my daughter's girl scout troop does when they take a field trip. I would also ask her to provide either an epi-pen or benadryl (whatever the child's pediatrician or allergist prescribes) to use in case of accidental exposure, that should be kept by the leader at all times.

Is it possible he's allergic, but doesn't go into anaphylactic shock? I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, and I have to avoid a big list of foods because they make my mouth and throat swell up and itch like crazy. I don't carry an epipen though, because it's not really an emergency. Maybe this kid has something similar and she's just exaggerating how severe it is.

Is it possible he's allergic, but doesn't go into anaphylactic shock? I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, and I have to avoid a big list of foods because they make my mouth and throat swell up and itch like crazy. I don't carry an epipen though, because it's not really an emergency. Maybe this kid has something similar and she's just exaggerating how severe it is.

Maybe...

It's weird and doesn't sound like she takes the allergy seriously and honestly presents the allergy as a joke which may affect how people deal with the next allergy kid in their care.

Do they have it listed on paperwork? Our Dr has an action plan we turn in to any activity that requests it. It's a state form.

It's weird. And boggles my mind

It's weird and doesn't sound like she takes the allergy seriously and honestly presents the allergy as a joke which may affect how people deal with the next allergy kid in their care.

Do they have it listed on paperwork? Our Dr has an action plan we turn in to any activity that requests it. It's a state form.

It's weird. And boggles my mind

I'm not sure about the paperwork...I'm just the snack mom ;)

My son is allergic to some nuts, but not all nuts. We have an epi-pen but have never had to use it on him. He does not have a severe allergy and basically gets a runny nose and itchy face if he eats something with peanuts. We do not carry an epi-pen with us, but usually have benadryl which is enough to combat the allergic reaction.

FYI... our son didn't have an allergy to nuts. He had a dairy allergy.

Until... he had the anaphylactic reaction to cashews.

It was biphasic. We got yelled at for not calling an ambulance and driving him in to the ER ourselves.

We were on the way to the ER because we were concerned based on what our son was saying... but there were no hives and it didn't present like any of his prior reactions.

I ended up injecting him with the Epi on the drive.

He'd had Benadryl and OraPred already.

If we hadn't had the Epi with us, it could have gone very very very bad.

Please, please, please carry the Epi with your son. Nut allergies can go fatal so fast.

The point of being prescribed an epi pen is that you'll have it when needed. You can't use it if you don't have it. I don't understand why *not* to just stick in your purse.

The epi-pen is the reason why I take my purse EVERYWHERE, even if hubby is driving and I won't need anything else in it. We haven't needed it yet, thank goodness, but he's also never actually had the nuts he tested so allergic to. The rashes and hives and "lip hurts!" just from cross-contamination is scary enough.

OP, I can't imagine "severe peanut allergy" together with not checking ingredients and not carrying an epi-pen. I checked ingredients on everything even with The Sponge, who had allergic esophagitis and would just get severe reflux from dairy.

What I've been told is that peanut allergy - especially one described as severe! - is like pg - you can't be a "little bit" allergic anymore than "a little bit pg." IE, you are, or you aren't. And there are too many stories of people who had virtually no symptoms until the ONE time it went anaphylactic. I just think it's a terrible idea to not have it with you if you might need it. I'm sure there are many people who never do, but in the one case you do - it's just no big deal to have it on hand, so I will never get that.

It's on the mom and none of my business, but I just feel bad for the child involved.

What I've been told is that peanut allergy - especially one described as severe! - is like pg - you can't be a "little bit" allergic anymore than "a little bit pg." IE, you are, or you aren't.

More to the point, anyone who *describes* an allergy as "severe" should *behave* cautiously.

As an example, my pediatrician says she has never had to give her nut and peanut allergic child an epipen, but she always has one around. I am beginning to think that there is some issue in the American psyche where preparing for something serious (an earthquake, death, unwanted pregnancy, or serious allergic reaction) somehow seems like you are inviting it. If you pretend it can't happen, then that's how you show it has no hold over you.

For the record, I keep an epipen in my purse.

Our allergist recently told me that there is such a thing as a mild peanut allergy---someone who could eat a handful of peanuts and maybe get a few hives or something minor. I don't think it's very common.

My youngest had what was considered a "severe peanut allergy" and was fine as long as he didn't ingest it. He could be around it. If he touched peanuts or something that had been touched by someone who had been handling peanuts, he would get a few hives. They didn't bother him, and we washed his hands with soap and water. No problem--he was around peanuts regularly and was fine because he absolutely positively never ate anything without his dad or I approving it (even if another adult told him that we said it was OK). Because he had a very high risk of anaphylaxis if he ate peanuts, we *always* have an epi pen, Benadryl, and emergency phone numbers in our allergy kit. If someone watches him for just a few minutes, they get an allergy training lesson from me first.

I would definitely discuss it with the mother to find out more about his level of allergy. The family should have an allergy action plan--exactly what to do in case of mild reactions (and exactly how that's defined) as well as severe reactions (and exactly how that is defined). It's standard practice to have this information in writing, signed by the dr, and inform anyone who watches your child if the child has food allergies.

This is what I thought, too. My 5 yo has a cashew and peanut allergy. Our doc said since the cashew one hasn't been tested since infancy and the peanut one causes just rash & horrid GI issues (and her young age-our last ped allergist said testing isn't worth it until 5. so she's finally old enough), that it would waste our time to see an allergist. So we carry my 12 yo's bee sting allergy epi pen jic until we can get into an allergist. She's never had a severe reaction, but I do ask to see every.single.thing she eats at co-op, etc.

Sounds like she is careless or perhaps too shy to ask. It's really hard for me to ask people what they put in their food, my ds is severely lerhic to peanuts as well, but I have to do it for his safety. Ya, I've met a kid whose doctor told his mom he had a very mild possible peanut allergy, didn't prescribe an epi pen, then he went into anaphylactic shock at my house from a tiny accidental peanut exposure. I don't even want to think what would have hapenned to him had the ambulance not gotten there in one minute and given him epinepherine.

There's a kid that comes to our Sunday school, he's thru the outreach program, his parents don't come. My MIL picks him up, he's only 6, he'd been coming for weeks when he hapenned to mention he was allergic to peanuts!! His mother didn't bother to notify anyone, no bracelet, no epi pens, nothing!!? I was so mad, how can you do that to a child, it's like she just didn't care at all. Our church is peanut free due to my son's allergy so thankfully he was safe, but his mom did not know this.

Another possibility, if she's dealing with a new diagnosis and hadn't really gotten it all figured out yet. It is overwhelming to suddenly have to check every. single. label. and have to interrogate everyone who feeds your kid.

Forgot to add, my ds wears an allergy bracelet (medic alert), we carry 2 Epi Pens and Benadryl at all times, and he's been trained to not accept food from anyone without telling them he's allergic. Our small church went peanut free for us. This means that all baking that is brought is free of nuts/nut butters, as well as potlucks. I still don't feed him anyone's baking but my own and MIL's (she's OCD and as careful as I am about this), but with multiple small children running around at church, if there's peanut butter cookies on the table my ds cannot be playing with kids who are eating them due to the risk of cross contamination, as well as the risk that since he's so young he could swipe said cookie while I'm not looking.

Sadly, it's not that weird. My kids take their epi-pens everywhere. Two of them are in their fanny pack at all times. I have 1 in my purse and 1 in the kitchen as well. However, I have only every met 1 kid in real life who did this as well, and I have met A Lot of kids with allergies. People get complacent. It's so sweet of you to worry (more than the kid's own mom!) and be so proactive. I wish I could meet more people like you.