Menu

Have you ever owned a futon? Question about covers.

somo_chickenlady

Our 18yr old nephew is going to be staying with us from now on, any time he is home from college. His mother, my SIL, and her husband recently aquired custody of their 15 year old niece (and now her newborn) and said niece sleeps in our nephews bed, so he had been staying on their sofa. We have an empty basement, and we live only a couple doors down from SIL so we offered for him to stay with us.

Anyway, he is coming back for spring break on Saturday so we went out yesterday and bought a futon for him to sleep on. It also gives him somewhere he can hang out and play video games or whatever, just to get some privacy which he got none at his mother's house.

What I am wondering is....is a futon cover necessary, or can we get away with a set of sheets? The mattress is black, so I dont want it to get stained up so I want something on it. Kwim?

We have a cover since our futon is mostly used as a couch. When we need to use it as a bed we throw sheets on over that. The cover is nice if you're planning to use it mostly as a couch or switch frequently between couch and bed mode. If it's going to stay in bed mode most of the time I'd just get a mattress pad and sheets for it.

We love futons. I would much rather sleep on a futon than a fold out couch. Put a cover on it that you like for it being a couch. When he makes up his bed use a mattress pad and sheets. Have a bin or something he can put his bedding in every morning and you're good to go.

We had nicer ones as couches and guest accommodations during grad school and a little after. They were pretty comfortable as is but one of those cheap egg crate pads made a huge difference. If you don't want to buy one of those, I'd throw down a thick quilt or comforter between the futon and a fitted sheet. And what's comfy is relative to one's age I think! ;)

I'd definitely get a cover for it even if it were only being used as a couch.

I have owned a futon and I got rid of it and I will never buy another one. We bought one for when we have guests. I tried sleeping on it. I'd rather sleep on the floor. It is so horrifically uncomfortable.

I know you didn't ask that, but thought I'd warn you. Couches are way more comfortable. Futons are nothing like couches.

This depends a LOT on the quality of the futon ( especially the mattress). I slept on one for years and they can be super comfy, but not if you don't get a good mattress. I find a quality futon about a million times more comfortable than a hide-a-bed.

We bought ours at a furniture store, and it seemed really comfortable when we tried it. Definitely more comfortable than the pull out bed in our sofa, that's for sure. We didn't want to get a sofa, for one we couldn't afford one, and also it wouldn't be any different for him than staying at his mom's house. It doesn't have buttons, instead it has stitches, so no hard lumps thankfully.

Thanks everyone! I think I will try to convince my husband to buy a cover. He doesn't think we need one. ;)

That might explain it. We bought it at Walmart. So maybe it just wasn't very good. It was horrid. I didn't even like sitting on it.

Yeah, that'll do it. I'm guessing the mattress was like a thick comforter with cotton or polyester batting? The one we have now is an innerspring mattress, 8 inches thick with a memory foam topper. It's more comfortable than DD's bed, honestly. The ones I've seen at Walmart are atrocious. I've met more people who cant' believe I'd sleep on a futon...usually because they've never tried a decent one.

A good futon is cheaper than a not-so-good pull out couch and much more comfy for sleeping.

Yeah, that'll do it. I'm guessing the mattress was like a thick comforter with cotton or polyester batting? The one we have now is an innerspring mattress, 8 inches thick with a memory foam topper. It's more comfortable than DD's bed, honestly. The ones I've seen at Walmart are atrocious. I've met more people who cant' believe I'd sleep on a futon...usually because they've never tried a decent one.

A good futon is cheaper than a not-so-good pull out couch and much more comfy for sleeping.

Yes, that is exactly what the one we bought is like. :)

I have owned a futon and I got rid of it and I will never buy another one. We bought one for when we have guests. I tried sleeping on it. I'd rather sleep on the floor. It is so horrifically uncomfortable.

This depends a LOT on the quality of the futon ( especially the mattress). I slept on one for years and they can be super comfy, but not if you don't get a good mattress. I find a quality futon about a million times more comfortable than a hide-a-bed.

I agree with AdventureMoms. We got our futon at a furniture store and we got a high quality mattress to go with it. The salesperson said the high quality mattress was the only way to go with futons and she was right. No buttons, very comfy, and has endured much abuse.